Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 16, 2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Theview1
macrumors newbie

I need sage-like Nano Help!

I have a 2gb Nano that runs w/ Windows. When I tried to update it w/ the 6/28/2006 update it ran as normal, but then something went wrong. Now iTunes & the iPod Updater won't detect my ipod.

It shows up in my my computer list as an extra drive. The iPod itself seems fine, but my songs vanished from it. When I go into the settings of the iPod & select "About" the name I gave it has changed to IPOD_C~1. It list no songs on the iPod, but of my 2gb only 124mb are free. That's exactly how much was free when my songs were present. Also it shows that its been updated to version 1.2

I have tried the 5 R's and nothing phases it. The iPod operates fine w/ all the menus working as normal, but I can't get iTunes or the updater to detect it so I can use the updater to restore it.

I should add that I have only had this nano since June & it has had no problems at all. I'll so have 2 pcs w/ iTunes on them and I've tested it on both w/ the same results.

Any advice or ideas of things to try? Please offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Theview1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:54 PM   #2
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
Well, you're still under AppleCare, so reporting it on the support site is one option. Their turnaround response is great!

Also, in the 5 R's, I assume you completely Restored the iPod and tried to reload your iTunes Library?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:58 PM   #3
happy.buddha
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to happy.buddha Send a message via MSN to happy.buddha Send a message via Yahoo to happy.buddha Send a message via Skype™ to happy.buddha
I would suggest rebooting the PC and then see if iTunes recognizes it, if it doesn't do a system restore on the PC back to a time when it was recognized and see if this helps, if that doesn't I'd actually suggest completely reformatting the iPod and starting over from scratch with it.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Theview1
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually did some reading on the Apple forums and it turns out this is happening to every windows Nano that runs that update. To resolve it I reformatted it using the disk management tool in the computer management screen. The the iPod updater actually will recognize it again & allow you to restore it. It works perfectly once again. I think its pretty crappy that problems topics are posted all over the Apple forums since the update came out and Apple hasn't corrected the problem w/ the update. Oh well, at least its fixed and at least it wasn't something I did wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Theview1
macrumors newbie

In case anyone was curious or needs addtional help in the future here's a link to 1 of the many messages about this problem. It also includes the instructions on how to resolve it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....840&tstart=150
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
MattyMac
macrumors 68000

Glad everything worked out...and thanks for posting the future help for all those other windows users.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod