|Jul 16, 2006, 11:56 PM||#1|
Difference between .pkg and .dmg file?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a .dmg file and .pkg file for Mac OS? The .pkg file is created using the PackageMaker of Mac OS for creating the installers.
|Jul 17, 2006, 12:13 AM||#2|
*.dmg is a disk image, and a *.pkg is sort of like a zipped file.
I don't know the advantages to either of them, though.
13" MacBook Pro | Sage iMac G3 | White iPhone 5c
|Jul 17, 2006, 01:54 AM||#3|
* Disk image format, like ISO, etc...
* Is not an installer, just a way to store files.
* Supports encryption, password protection and compression.
* Single file (ideal for distribution).
* Installer package. Can install files to different locations, etc...
* Support compression.
* Is just a folder, with multiple files inside (just like .app). So it is not suited for distribution.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Charging difference between 4S and iPhone 4 and older?||acarney||iOS 5 and earlier||0||Oct 15, 2011 11:43 PM|
|Buying a Wacom tablet for my Mac - Difference between "Craft" and "Pen and Touch"?||Doju||Buying Tips and Advice||19||Feb 9, 2010 05:43 PM|
|What's the difference between Flat and Off Equalizer settings on Touch and iPhone.||LoganT||iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting||3||Dec 13, 2009 09:55 PM|
|Ipod touch 8GB 3G jailbreak and difference between 2G and 3G on general.||tommyvi||iPod touch Hacks||4||Oct 27, 2009 09:14 AM|
|Big Difference Between Speed Test & File Downloads||Graham MacNerd||Mac Basics and Help||5||May 2, 2009 10:10 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.