Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Hey guys, I've read this somewhere before and I remember someone mention that all the AGP PowerMac G4's have the same type of CPU socket and they are all interchangeable. I was wondering if anyone can validate this for me.

The reason I ask is because someone has a stock 733mhz CPU from a Quicksilver I believe... but I have a 450Mhz PowerMac G4 CUBE. I wanted to know if I can put that 733mhz CPU or even a 1Ghz CPU into the Cube so that I would run faster. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I'm fairly sure that specific example wouldn't work. I think you need to make sure that the processor has the same bus speed as the Cube (100 Mhz), which pretty much limits you to the Gigabit Ethernet processors (though they come as fast as 2 x 500Mhz which is nice). Check xlr8yourmac.com, there's a guy there that put a dual 450Mhz CPU in his Cube that was a pull from a PowerMac.

Also, keep in mind that since the Cube uses that enormous heatsink, you'll probably have to resolder some parts of the CPU, though the article at xlr8yourmac explains it in some detail. Good luck, and keep us appraised of whatever you do!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
No, you would not be able to put that in your cube. Although the ZIF socket is the same, the shape of the CPU daughterboard is different and would not fit in a cube. In addition, the 733mhz G4 is quite a bit different compared to the old 7400/7410 line of G4's, including a different speed FSB. Even if you successfully installed the 733mhz chip into the cube, it would run at a slower speed due to the 100mhz FSB on the cube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.