Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinice2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
I have recently bought a Air Port Extreme base station, and a 17 inch PowerBook G4 (not here yet). Anyway, what I was wondering is does the base station need to be hooked up to a Mac running Mac os X or can it just be plugged directly into my cable router?

Tom Light

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
You can hook it up directly...

...and your PB will even work without installing the Airport Admin utility. However, for security sake, be sure and go ahead and install the admin utility from the CD included with your Airport basestation - then encrypt and password-protect your wireless network.

Once you get it operational, it's going to be hands off and very stable. Good luck!

Tom

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
True

My airport extreme station has been online for a couple of weeks now, no probs at all. And it's with 128bit ecryption on, works perfect with PCs as well

great stuff!

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
Argh people!
WEP is flawed.
Don't take the risk, unless you're running a public node close the network and unless people are randomly coming and going, lock to MAC address.

WEP will keep out casual wardrivers but anyone who wants to get in will be able to.
This page will give you a better idea of why you should NOT trust WEP.

Just using WEP is like putting an ethernet port on your front gate with stickytape over it.

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Totally true
Dont trust WEP alone, I actually use both, encryption and the MAC-filter.
The problem remains, you can actually fake an MAC-address just as you can sniff the WEP-key. So a wireless connection is not totally secure.

/ filipp

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I personally don't see why one would worry all that much about wireless hackers. I figure, if you are that important, and have that important of data, then you should already have evaluated the risks. Most people, though, aren't too worried about people driving past their house with an AirPort eqipped Mac and stealing your music or something.

Just my two cents.

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
In my case I do have quite sensitive data stored. If all you have on your machine is a few mp3s then neither do I see need in security. But even then many would like to have some privacy right?

I've actually driven around the city myself and I'll tell you what, over 50% ov all networks I found were totally exposed, you could see the computers on their network, you could go online via their cable modems and so on. Now imagine that an evil person like me would hack some box using your connection, you know who would get crap for that? Not me, you, since it's your IP that is stored in all logs.

that's just my point, I do care about my security.
/ filipp

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
since people are on the topic of wifi security I have a similar question. Right now I have a netgear router and it has a menu that says "wirless access filter" so i activated the filter and typed in the MAC address of my iBook. Does this mean that since i have a filter like that up and only my iBook mac address typed in; no one else will see my network. I have no other security enabled.

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
since people are on the topic of wifi security I have a similar question. Right now I have a netgear router and it has a menu that says "wirless access filter" so i activated the filter and typed in the MAC address of my iBook. Does this mean that since i have a filter like that up and only my iBook mac address typed in; no one else will see my network. I have no other security enabled.

Anybody will be able to see your wireless network either way, but since you have the MAC-filter enabled, only those added to the list will be able to join the network

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
thanks, i'm not too worried about security because the signal is ot quite strong enough to reach the street and theres a field behind my house :)

scarecrow

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Washington DC
I am a recent "adder" to Mac. I just got my Airport Extreme and am waiting on my 17" pb. Can I use the Airport Extreme with my PCs while I wait for my pb or do I have to have a Mac to set it up. Any utilities on the windows side?:confused:

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Originally posted by scarecrow
I am a recent "adder" to Mac. I just got my Airport Extreme and am waiting on my 17" pb. Can I use the Airport Extreme with my PCs while I wait for my pb or do I have to have a Mac to set it up. Any utilities on the windows side?:confused:

Man, that's exactly what I'm going thru ;)

I have a airport extreme station set up with 2 PCs on the network (1 wired, 1 wireless). Awaiting my PB17.

What you do is that you click here and download Airport Admin Utility for WIndows

That will help you setup the station without having a Mac nearby.
hope it helps

/ filipp

edit: damn links

scarecrow

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Washington DC
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Can you get the 802.11g (54) on the wireless PC to wired PC setup or are you running it at 802.11b speeds (11)?

:D

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
I'm currently running it at 11mbit. Here in sweden there are no 11g-cards out yet, so I really dont have any options, except for the powerbook.

/ filipp

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
You can 'close' a wireless network, which requires people to know it's name to join, but the signal is still there, aynone with enough experience is going to se though that pretty darn fast.

scarecrow

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2003
Washington DC
Originally posted by filipp
I'm currently running it at 11mbit. Here in sweden there are no 11g-cards out yet, so I really dont have any options, except for the powerbook.

/ filipp

Thanks for the "scoop", you saved me some "should I open the box yet" stress.

I will let you know if it works for me via 11g on a notebook PC.

- SC

filipp

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
Sweden
Cool, I would appreciate that. I'll switch to 11g totally as soon as they arrive here. Let us all know how they work together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.