Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Caezar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Is this feasible?

I am by no means a serious programmer (which will become evident as you read this very message), except that I use VBA almost daily to automate Excel spreadsheets.

I do enjoy programming however and the only thing that prevented me from learning a language other than VBA is the lack of a project. So far, I was not sure what I would do if I knew how to program in C++.

I now feel the need to develop a small program for myself. As the alumnus of a US university, I have a free subscription to Factiva (www.factiva.com), which gives me online access to virtually all newspapers, magazines, etc. using a normal internet browser.

The bad thing is that I can only access the articles one by one. I wish I could pick a magazine (let's say The Economist), download automatically all the articles for the most recent publication and finally combine and format them in a single Word document. This way, I will be able to print the magazine and read it on my way to the office.

Now my questions:
- is it legal? (I do have a subscription to Factiva. I do not intend to distribute the printouts)
- If so, is it feasible?
- If so, which language would enable me to perform these tasks?

Caezar, aspiring geek
Taiwan

Last edited by Caezar; Jul 19, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
Caezar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:18 AM   #2
live4ever
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
I do this all the time with scientific journals - the tools are already in available.

1-get all the PDFs downloaded to a folder and numbered
I use Firefox with DownThemAll! extension
2-use Automater to combine the PDFs into one file
live4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Caezar
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4ever
I do this all the time with scientific journals - the tools are already in available.

1-get all the PDFs downloaded to a folder and numbered
I use Firefox with DownThemAll! extension
2-use Automater to combine the PDFs into one file
I am not sure it is so easy:
- the articles are accessible through a link and shown as text on the webpage and are not contained in a separate pdf file, just like on Reuters, NYTimes.com, etc.
- each publication contains probably 50+ articles. I would like the application to populate the list of articles itself and copy them one by one, instead of having to select them manually.
Caezar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 03:35 AM   #4
demallien
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caezar
I am not sure it is so easy:
- the articles are accessible through a link and shown as text on the webpage and are not contained in a separate pdf file, just like on Reuters, NYTimes.com, etc.
- each publication contains probably 50+ articles. I would like the application to populate the list of articles itself and copy them one by one, instead of having to select them manually.
Realistically, your best bet would be to go with a scripting language, such as Ruby, Python or Perl.

If you have an index page that links all of the articles, all you have to do is download the index in your app, parse the html to find all the links, and then download those links as well, saving all HTML downloads to disk...

A guru could probably do that for one specific site in about a day. If you have to learn the language, and have little experience with http, you'd better expect this to be taking up your weekends for a couple of months... But in response to your question, yes, it is feasible...
demallien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 03:42 AM   #5
Caezar
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by demallien
Realistically, your best bet would be to go with a scripting language, such as Ruby, Python or Perl.

If you have an index page that links all of the articles, all you have to do is download the index in your app, parse the html to find all the links, and then download those links as well, saving all HTML downloads to disk...

A guru could probably do that for one specific site in about a day. If you have to learn the language, and have little experience with http, you'd better expect this to be taking up your weekends for a couple of months... But in response to your question, yes, it is feasible...
Thanks a lot! If I am not mistaken, I cannot develop in XCode with any of these languages, can I? What kind of (free) IDE should I use then?
Caezar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it feasible to put a 128gb chip in a Nano? Errk! iPod 4 Jan 17, 2013 10:02 PM
iPad: iPad 2 still feasible in 2012 ? Squezze some more years out? narutoninjakid iPad 22 Dec 6, 2012 11:04 PM
SMS apps . Is it feasible to do? spilakalb iPhone/iPad Programming 5 Oct 11, 2012 08:02 AM
Feasible to store photo library on iPad? KettyKrueger iPad 11 Jun 15, 2012 01:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC