Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
As an existing customer I'm quite interested in this, the Free version isn't great (but better than my current dial-up situation) but I think the other ones work out quite cheap:

BBC: Free Broadband From Sky

SKY BROADBAND PACKAGES (Installtion is optional and you get a wireless modem/router)

Base - 2Mb download speed, £40 connection fee, £50 installation, free subscription, 2GB monthly limit

Mid - 8Mb, £20 connection, £50 installation, £5 monthly subscription, 40GB usage

Max- 16Mb, free installation and connection, £10 monthly subscription, unlimited usage

Connect - 8Mb, £40 connection, £50 installation, £17 a month, 40GB usage

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I took my Sky box and dish to Spain. Don't suppose the broadband'll work from there though :(

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Here in the US I pay about $39.88/month plus $3.00 rental for the modem for a "up to" 4Mbps download with a "up to" 384Kbps upload with Adelphia. Oh, and the $39.88 is the reduced amount because I am getting cable too, normally it would be $42.95. PLUS, I don't have any options, only the one provider who is currently 4Mbs slower then the next town over, which has Comcast.

I hope that whatever is going on over there will catch wind over here but due to the way the broadband companies are working I highly doubt I will ever see a change. I recall when broadband first arrived and they talked about it becoming cheaper then 56k yet every year the prices rise.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
zim said:
Here in the US I pay about $39.88/month plus $3.00 rental for the modem for a "up to" 4Mbps download with a "up to" 384Kbps upload with Adelphia. Oh, and the $39.88 is the reduced amount because I am getting cable too, normally it would be $42.95. PLUS, I don't have any options, only the one provider who is currently 4Mbs slower then the next town over, which has Comcast.

I hope that whatever is going on over there will catch wind over here but due to the way the broadband companies are working I highly doubt I will ever see a change. I recall when broadband first arrived and they talked about it becoming cheaper then 56k yet every year the prices rise.

I pay $14.95/month for 1.5 up/ 768 down with Verizon. You can't get that anymore, it's now only 768/384 for $17.95 but I was grandfathered in from an older plan.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
skoker said:
I pay $14.95/month for 1.5 up/ 768 down with Verizon. You can't get that anymore, it's now only 768/384 for $17.95 but I was grandfathered in from an older plan.
So is this right? As the broadband in the rest of the world gets faster, the US one is actually getting slower??!? Kiss goodbye to your economy, that's a serious problem.

We can get up to 24MBps download here now,and we still consider that slow when compared to the 100MBps the Swedes get. 768Kbps is useless these days. You can't even stream video clips down it without them being choppy as hell.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
dynamicv said:
We can get up to 24MBps download here now,and we still consider that slow when compared to the 100MBps the Swedes get.

:eek:

Compared to my 1MBps (real speed: 1KBps :( ) I get from Tiscali, I still consider 24MBps fast :eek:

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I would sacrifice babies for 2MB, 4MB or 8MB... instead of my paltry 768K.

Our line supports 6.5MB, yet for some reason - BT say we can only get 768K.

:(

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
My new flat is getting it's broadband on monday. yay! and it's 8mbps from Demon, £19.99 a month for unlimited use. no "fair usage" carp.

Orange offered me free broadband because of my contract phone usage, but i heard the usage limit (they claim 2Gb is loads) and i couldn't stop laughing at the guy. i use more than 2Gb a day quite often!

Oh, you think that's fast? What about this product - US$215/month for symmetric GIGABIT DSL?!?!?!
link1
link2
linky3

i would pay £116 a month for that kind of speed, no questions.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
We pay about $80 a month for HD cable and broadband from comcast. I'm not sure what the speed is supposed to be, but when when DLing from apple my top speed is usually in the 600-700kbps range. In Azureus I have never gotten more than 180kbps (and I almost had a heart attack when I saw those numbers...sadly I have never seen them again). Same when downloading from steam; I would top out at about 600kbps. :(

Sad. I'm off to research cable companies now. :D

Edit: Here is the comcast small print for my area:
comcast said:
Speed comparisons for downloads only and compare Comcast 6.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed of 768 Kbps) to 56 Kbps, dial-up and 1.5. Mbps DSL. Many factors affect speed. Actual speeds will vary and are not guaranteed.

Ah well...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
skoker said:
We had the 3.0 up/768 down or whatever it is from Verizon for about a year and it was terrible. Constant disconnects, etc. and Verizon would NOT send a tech to look at the problem. I had to deal with their phone support (turn the modem on and off, do it again, do it again how about now, do it one more time) every other day.

Switched to Time Warner Cable's Road Runner (6mb...or is it 7?) for $48.99/month and have been happy with it.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
dynamicv said:
So is this right? As the broadband in the rest of the world gets faster, the US one is actually getting slower??!? Kiss goodbye to your economy, that's a serious problem.

We can get up to 24MBps download here now,and we still consider that slow when compared to the 100MBps the Swedes get. 768Kbps is useless these days. You can't even stream video clips down it without them being choppy as hell.

They want you to get FiOS-fiber optics- which is only like $30 for a ridiculous amount of speed.

However, seeing as I live out in the boonies, I expect to have to wait a while for that.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
skoker said:
They want you to get FiOS-fiber optics- which is only like $30 for a ridiculous amount of speed.

However, seeing as I live out in the boonies, I expect to have to wait a while for that.

You don't live out in the boonies, you live right near Rt 400 :p. Anyways, yeah we have to wait for FiOS.

eMac4ever

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
I have Verizon FiOS Fiber Optics. I've been pretty happy with it so far. I pay 29.99 for 5.0MB's Down/2.0MB's Up. My actual speeds are 5.1MB's Down/1.6MB's Up. The only thing is that ever since they installed a new router I can't share files with both computers. My "client" computer sees and shares files but my "hardwired" sees "client" but can't access it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.