Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I use an intel iMac 20 (with extra 20" Lcd) as my main workstation at home. Recently I was considering getting a 17" MBP for travel - the cost would have forced me to sell the iMac.

Instead, i bought a basically new 17 PB (1.67/hi Rez/120GB) for less than 1/2 what is was new).

I do DTP, Office and web mostly.

I find this an excellent combination. Not only do I get to keep my iMac, but I also have access to programs (OS9, etc) that won't run on the intel IMac, and Office and CS2 perform as well, if not better on the PB.
:D

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
that does sound like a nice setup. I'm thinking of doing something similar. only slightly backwards.

I have a g5 tower that is my powerhouse for my work. and i am thinking of getting a macbook to replace my powerbook, as i am going to be going back to school full-time ( and working full- time )

how do you like doing a dual display with an iMac? i've not seen that yet.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
I would love a 20" iMac Core Duo to go along with my current 15" powerbook G4. You're right, with a lack of a Mac Pro right now, this would be the perfect set up. However, I'm saving up for a carribean trip in january and then 1 week in london and 6 weeks in rome next summer (studying abroad), I dont think I can part with cash for the iMac:(

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
pic attached
The iMac has a much better screen than the 19" lcd - - so It's the mainscreen.
The macs are ntetworked - the bm laptop is VPN'd into work and so is for all work stuff. I use a USB drive to move files back and forth to get them to the office network. ("personal" machines are not allowed on the network ;-(

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 142

dogsbody

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Channel Islands
maclamb said:
pic attached
The iMac has a much better screen than the 19" lcd - - so It's the mainscreen.
The macs are ntetworked - the bm laptop is VPN'd into work and so is for all work stuff. I use a USB drive to move files back and forth to get them to the office network. ("personal" machines are not allowed on the network ;-(

Have you used FCP or FCE on it at all? If so, what kind of performance do you get? Also, have you chucked in any extra RAM at all?

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I assume you mean on the iMac...Not tried FCP or FCE but have used handbrake to compress video for ipod.
FAST. compress 2 hour movie in maybe 40 minutes.
2 gig of ram.
Rosetta is better with more ram, but PB is still faster (like create pdf file) and more stable...

Dual screens- biggest issue is that the non-apple (acer Al922) seems absolutely dingy in comparison. Plus resolution differnece is a bit odd with expanded desktop (12 vs 16)
I've had it "fixed" - tried color setting - the iMac is just better. If I had the extra cash (HA! after buying the PB) I'd sell the acer and get an apple 23" LCD...(wouldn't we all..)

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
or you could get a dell 2405fpw for almost nothing these days. I payed $694 about 6 months ago. but now i bet you could find it even less thanks to the 2407 that came out.

i have an ACD 23" at home as well, and that is one stunning monitor :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Very nice setup maclamb! :)

For the record, the PowerBook G4s are still fine machines to own (especially when you get a great deal on one). :)

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
maclamb said:
how does the ACD23 compare with the dell?

Actually in all honesty. they are so close in comparison, aside from the looks, it's hard to justify the ACD... ( in my opinion )

Once calibrated, you'd have a helluva time trying to figure out which one is better :) ( trust me. i tried. to no avail. )

I'm very happy with mine, and for the price. It just can't be beat for a 24" screen.

and yes. 007 is right, PB G4s are still very capable machines. ( apple just replaced the display on my hi-res 15" and now it is just beautiful and flawless :) )

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
maclamb said:
I assume you mean on the iMac...Not tried FCP or FCE but have used handbrake to compress video for ipod.
FAST. compress 2 hour movie in maybe 40 minutes.

Yea handbrake was a breeze on the iMac, good stuff.

(the incredibles and indiana jones is now on my ipod :eek: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.