Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkeninitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Germantown, MD
The delete key on the PowerBook functions like a backspace key on a PC (cut me some slack, please -- this is my first Mac after 20 yrs. of PC's); is there a key that functions as the equivalent of the PC's delete key (i.e., that deletes characters to the right of the cursor)?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Dumb newbie question re: PowerBook delete key...

Originally posted by dkeninitz
The delete key on the PowerBook functions like a backspace key on a PC (cut me some slack, please -- this is my first Mac after 20 yrs. of PC's); is there a key that functions as the equivalent of the PC's delete key (i.e., that deletes characters to the right of the cursor)?

What you are asking for is a forward-delete. As far as I know there is no direct fix. Some word processing programs will let you create a macro that will perform the function you want. As far as key combinations that Apple has built into the system no one I can find knows of one and I haven't found any.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by alex_ant
Yes there is, hold down the "fn" key on the bottom left while using the delete key and it will work like the delete key on the PC.

The fn key must be only on the PowerBook keyboards. I don't have that on my PowerMac keyboard on which I have been trying to find a key combination on.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by MacBandit
The fn key must be only on the PowerBook keyboards. I don't have that on my PowerMac keyboard on which I have been trying to find a key combination on.
Au contraire! On the Power Mac extended keyboard (not the ones that came with the hockey puck mice), the forward delete key is below the help key and above the left arrow key. It works in Word v.X for Mac, AppleWorks 6.2.4, and TextEdit (I just tried all 3 apps for this functionality).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Au contraire! On the Power Mac extended keyboard (not the ones that came with the hockey puck mice), the forward delete key is below the help key and above the left arrow key. It works in Word v.X for Mac, AppleWorks 6.2.4, and TextEdit (I just tried all 3 apps for this functionality).

Thanks I realize that. I have(was) trying to find a key combination for the laptop/compressed apple keyboards that don't have the forward delete key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.