Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
I have an otherwise perfect macbook, but the hinge seems to be squeaking quite loudly when it's opened/closed. It's a bit embarassing when I'm in class and I pull out a squeaky computer.

Is this something being addressed, or will I be laughed at at the apple store?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mine is the same way, except it only squeaks if i grab the top of the monitor from either side (ie: if i grab the top of the monitor from the center, like where the isight is, and close or open it that way, it's silent).

i just assumed it was a MB trait..perhaps in part because of the plastic?

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
xfiftyfour said:
i just assumed it was a MB trait..perhaps in part because of the plastic?

My old powerbook creaked, so it's not the plastic. Whenever I made an appt with a genius to fix it, it magically stopped creaking in the store.

The macbook squeaks quite a bit louder, and it just started today.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Subiklim said:
My old powerbook creaked, so it's not the plastic. Whenever I made an appt with a genius to fix it, it magically stopped creaking in the store.

ah, see, my old PB never creaked, so i assumed all PBs were like that.

in addition to the squeak, does anyone else have a battery that doesn't sit very well in their MB? either my case or my battery isn't flush straight, so the edge with the light indicator goes from flush to gap (noticable gap, too). again, i chocked it up to a MB trait, and just assumed that consumer laptop = poorly built compared to the "pro" lines.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
xfiftyfourin addition to the squeak said:
I've noticed that the battery in my Macbook requires a bit of finagling to get the battery to seat properly. It fits in the battery cavity just fine, but when it comes to closing that turn-clasp thing, I need to press the battery down with varying pressure and turn the clasp back and forth a few times before it closes easily/properly. Otherwise the clip seems to hit the battery in the wrong place, and it still closes, but defininitely not how it's supposed to.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
FullmetalZ26 said:
I've noticed that the battery in my Macbook requires a bit of finagling to get the battery to seat properly. It fits in the battery cavity just fine, but when it comes to closing that turn-clasp thing, I need to press the battery down with varying pressure and turn the clasp back and forth a few times before it closes easily/properly. Otherwise the clip seems to hit the battery in the wrong place, and it still closes, but defininitely not how it's supposed to.
well mine seats just fine and goes in where it's supposed to, there's just that little gap along the one edge. it's really no big deal at all, just me being anal about every little thing on my MB - as usual :p :rolleyes:

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
ah, see, my old PB never creaked, so i assumed all PBs were like that.

in addition to the squeak, does anyone else have a battery that doesn't sit very well in their MB? either my case or my battery isn't flush straight, so the edge with the light indicator goes from flush to gap (noticable gap, too). again, i chocked it up to a MB trait, and just assumed that consumer laptop = poorly built compared to the "pro" lines.

Mine's the same way, battery just doenst sit right. Also, I can barely hear my hinge creaking and it only does it very rarely. I need to really move it back and forth and varying speeds to hear the slightest creak.
I'd take it to the genius bar and show them.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
My 12" PB used to squeak.

The hinges are meant to be self lubricating so using the hinge more gets rid of the noise. (Try opening and closing the lid ten times and see if that works).

I also found that flinging the lid open (sounds worse than it is) also helps with the lube process.

andgold

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
I found a really simple solution

Hi, folks.

I was reading the messages and want to share that I had the same problem since week 3 with my Macbook, but got rid of it when I figured that it was caused by some little but sufficient amount of dust getting into the lateral corners of the lid, where it pivotes to the hidden axis.

I just got a thin little piece of paper passed through the separation in both sides, and MIRACLE.

Hope it also works for you!

I suppose this will have to be repeated every month or so.... I use the laptop a lot outside home. But gettting rid of the noise is well worth the task.

Best,

Andrés.
SPAIN.:eek:

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
I found my MB hinge to creak rather than squeak!

Anyway, I discovered that the 2 screws closest to the hinge (one either side) had worked themselves loose from regular use and presumably heat cycles.
It was just a case of tightening them (you need a small jewellers screwdriver) and it cured the creak. I may get around to putting some liquid thread lock on them at some point.

aZooZa

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
I tried tightening the screws but they were already tight, and my MacBook hinge creaked like mad. I sprayed a TINY amount of WD40 onto an ear bud; wiped the bud on a tissue to remove the excess, and then swabbed the hinge ends very lightly. Works a treat.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I thought I could put up with the creak/squeak, whatever you want to call it, but it's startin to get a little annoying now (plus I don't want everybody to turn and look at me if I ever open it in public!

Whne people talk about putting sum lubrication on the hinges, do they mean removing the screen and then doing it, or just trying to let it "dribble" into the joint.
any info would be great.

aZooZa

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
will0407 said:
I thought I could put up with the creak/squeak, whatever you want to call it, but it's startin to get a little annoying now (plus I don't want everybody to turn and look at me if I ever open it in public!

Whne people talk about putting sum lubrication on the hinges, do they mean removing the screen and then doing it, or just trying to let it "dribble" into the joint.
any info would be great.
Just put a very small amount of WD40 on an earbud, and wipe it around the side edges of the hinge as viewed from the front. Try and get a small amount to "dribble" through around the edges where the hinge joins the case at each side. We're talking SMALL amounts here. Worked a treat for me.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
When I pulled it out the box, my MacBook used to 'click' when I opened the lid, but has subsequently seemed to have stopped.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Mine made horrible noise too when moving the lid in any direction after a few days. Now it's better, but the backlighting of the screen is loose... Don't force it.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
aZooZa!!you're a genius- it's worked like a dream! Finally opening like every laptop should...without a sound!

aZooZa

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
will0407 said:
aZooZa!!you're a genius- it's worked like a dream! Finally opening like every laptop should...without a sound!
Glad to be of help. Secret is a LITTLE WD40. Don't spray it all over. Work it in with an earbud. Mine is now silent, thank goodness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.