Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel is shipping Core 2 Duo Mobile chips (Merom) to manufacturers, according to recent Intel financial report. A recent AppleInsider story had indicated that Intel may have plans to move up Merom's formal launch to next Monday, July 23rd, to coincide with the Core 2 Duo Desktop variant ("Conroe") launch. Despite the move, availablility at the time was still not expected until August.

Merom is expected to replace Core Duo "Yonah" CPUs found in the MacBook Pro. Apple could use the 2.0, 2.16, or 2.33 GHz variants of Merom in its MacBook Pro line, each of which sport 4 MB of L2 Cache (up from 2 MB in current MacBook Pros) and have a 667 MHz frontside bus.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Niice. I would assume that they forgo using the 2.0 GHz chip though. Right now, their lineup is pretty solid using two different speeds. Unless the modify the structure of the lineup (as in lower prices), I think it would make sense.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This definitely increases the chances of Apple introducing new MBPs at WWDC. Could be a huge event!

My PB is only a year and half old, but Merom-based MBPs are looking awfully tempting...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
up the chips in the MBPs and up the speeds in the MBs?

seems likely to me.

Yup, possibly the cheap 2.0GHz Yonah's across the board in MacBooks and the 2.16 and 2.33 Merom's in the MBP. Plus a new enclosure at WWDC for MBP.

Get saving Al!

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
^^^^No kidding eh? Intel is on the move this year! Releasing products left/right&centre!

This WWDC will either be amazing or a total letdown?

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
Noooo....must...resist urges to buy...new MBP's

Just have to keep reminding myself I cant afford these things right now..

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
bradc said:
^^^^No kidding eh? Intel is on the move this year! Releasing products left/right&centre!

This WWDC will either be amazing or a total letdown?
I doubt we'll see Core 2 Duo machines next Tuesday, but it's possible. :rolleyes:

Otherwise I expect a WWDC rollout.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i thought the merom chips have the same pricing as the yonah 5 or 6 month ago. that would mean apple could switch to all merom (MB, mini, MBP). especially since they are compared to dell & co. in the windows world you are almost forced to use the better chip (merom) because the competition is fierce.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
It would be nice if they released the MBP before WWDC so that I can take advantage of the tax free holiday and the student discount here in NC...

Nuc

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
andiwm2003 said:
i thought the merom chips have the same pricing as the yonah 5 or 6 month ago. that would mean apple could switch to all merom (MB, mini, MBP). especially since they are compared to dell & co. in the windows world you are almost forced to use the better chip (merom) because the competition is fierce.
Merom is launching with Yonah's original pricing. Yonah is going to get another price drop later this year.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Glad I didn't decide to buy a new MBP in June! I have plans to wait until after WWDC, but I think we might see a change in processor before than. I don't see moving to a newer Intel chip as being a "big" developer issue.

Poudresteve

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
Champaign-Urbana, IL
This is not what I needed to maintain a productive Friday afternoon! My excitement level was already at "11" with new Mac Pro's coming out. I'll have to see what else I can cut out of the ol' budget to get all of these new toys... :D

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
macnews said:
Glad I didn't decide to buy a new MBP in June! I have plans to wait until after WWDC, but I think we might see a change in processor before than. I don't see moving to a newer Intel chip as being a "big" developer issue.
Well, when you couple the fact it's an entirely new architecture for intel, along with being 64-bit, it might tie in nicely at the developer conference. I expect Leopard to evolve into a full 64-bit OS so these chips can would make for a great entrance at WWDC...IMO.

Slipmip

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
why just mbp's?

This may be a dumb question, but why would apple just use the new chips in mbp's and not the mb? Dosn't seem to make sense. As soon as core 2 merom comes out every pc notebook will have it. Price wouldn't be an issue cause merom is same price as yonah, correct?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Eidorian said:
I doubt we'll see Core 2 Duo machines next Tuesday, but it's possible. :rolleyes:

Otherwise I expect a WWDC rollout.

I don't think we'll see these at WWDC unless there are other substantial changes. Going from a Yonah to a Merom chip may be great news, but it's hardly something Steve can crow about on stage. "Here's the new macbook pro... it looks and functions exactly like the old one, but 20% faster. Um, yeah. You already know all about the macbook pro, so there's really nothing else for me to say, is there?"

I expect we will see mac pros and leopard demo'ed at WWDC, plus the usual talk about how well apple is doing, etc. Maybe some talk about pro apps because it's a developer's conference. MAYBE a new ipod (nano) just because it's such big news, even tho it's not really for developers.

But as far as new MBPs go, I'd expect a quiet announcement some tuesday in the relatively near future.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Slipmip said:
This may be a dumb question, but why would apple just use the new chips in mbp's and not the mb? Dosn't seem to make sense. As soon as core 2 merom comes out every pc notebook will have it. Price wouldn't be an issue cause merom is same price as yonah, correct?
The MBP is a PRO model. They can keep Yonah (Which is fast enough mind you) and still speed bump it/lower the price some more.

QCassidy352 said:
I don't think we'll see these at WWDC unless there are other substantial changes. Going from a Yonah to a Merom chip may be great news, but it's hardly something Steve can crow about on stage. "Here's the new macbook pro... it looks and functions exactly like the old one, but 20% faster. Um, yeah. You already know all about the macbook pro, so there's really nothing else for me to say, is there?"

I expect we will see mac pros and leopard demo'ed at WWDC, plus the usual talk about how well apple is doing, etc. Maybe some talk about pro apps because it's a developer's conference. MAYBE a new ipod (nano) just because it's such big news, even tho it's not really for developers.

But as far as new MBPs go, I'd expect a quiet announcement some tuesday in the relatively near future.
So new iMacs next Tuesday? :eek:

I do agree that the new Pro towers need a much more proper launch while the other lines can just get a shiny new Core 2 Duo logo on their site and an update to Apple's Intel page.

Apple Corps said:
I posted this very early on:

Yesterday, 09:36 PM #1
Apple Corps
macrumors regular

Core 2 Duo
Intel presentation slide confirms that the pc portable version of the Core 2 Duo is NOW SHIPPING - fully 1 month ahead of schedule.

Is that the Merom? What would that say about WWDC announcements :)

READ SLIDE #3 http://download.intel.com/intel/fina...ningsfoils.pdf

Oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15" TiPB 400 / 1 GB
Indigo Clamshell 366
Canon 20D / Canon i9900

Do you guys not give at least a tag line credit :)
Your copy pasta didn't work completely.

http://download.intel.com/intel/finance/earnings/IntelQ22006earningsfoils.pdf

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I posted this very early on:

Yesterday, 09:36 PM #1
Apple Corps
macrumors regular

Core 2 Duo
Intel presentation slide confirms that the pc portable version of the Core 2 Duo is NOW SHIPPING - fully 1 month ahead of schedule.

Is that the Merom? What would that say about WWDC announcements :)

READ SLIDE #3 http://download.intel.com/intel/fina...ningsfoils.pdf

Oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15" TiPB 400 / 1 GB
Indigo Clamshell 366
Canon 20D / Canon i9900

Do you guys not give at least a tag line credit :)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
It'll be quite an action-packed WWDC, if all these rumors pan out--which of course they wont.

-Leopard preview
-Mac Pros
-new iPod Nanos
-true video iPods
-iTMS movie downloads
-MacBook Pros with Meroms

Crazy. I'm betting against the consumer-related announcements. And hoping for MBPs with new enclosure and features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.