Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I was cleaning up my jumpdrive and accidently put a locked safegaurd file in the trash so when I went to empty the trash it emptied everything but that. Then I went in and moved a copy of the safegaurd file from the trash to the desktop then to the jumpdrive. Now the file is safely back on my jumpdrive, but I have useless files in my trash that I can't delete. How do I do it??

Anyone know what I can do? Thanks in advance.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
yellow said:
Are they "locked"? Hold down Option and select Empty Trash from the Finder pull-down menu.
Yes, they are "locked" this is why it won't let me delete them.

Any suggestions?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Apple should have an 'Incinerate Trash' option under the finder menu. This would make it really easy to do things like this, which seems to be a quite common problem...

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I just wish there was a way to permanently remove individual items from the trash instead of the entire trash bin at once. I know I can move everything out of the trash except what I want permanently removed, then move the rest back into the trash, but that way sucks.

Is there any other way?

JVRosenman@gmai

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
I downloaded iShred express, a freeware program from Big Fat Stinking Software. You just open the program, and drag the file you want to shred onto its dock icon. You click yes, and Bam! the file is gone. It is un-recoverable. The program can even delete files that are in use (I don't know how, but it does).

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
someguy said:
I just wish there was a day to permanently remove individual items from the trash instead of the entire trash bin at once. I know I can move everything out of the trash except what I want permanently removed, then move the rest back into the trash, but that way sucks.

Is there any other way?

There is, for me it's a monday... :p

I see it like this, would you go through your rubbish at the end of every day and sort out what needs to be incinerated and what doesn't? No, just shred what needs to be shredded when you go to remove it...

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Killyp said:
There is, for me it's a monday... :p
Smartass. :p

Killyp said:
I see it like this, would you go through your rubbish at the end of every day and sort out what needs to be incinerated and what doesn't? No, just shred what needs to be shredded when you go to remove it...
I'll probably download that iShred thing, but I need to be careful because I find myself taking items back out of the trash quite often.

acourtman

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I took mp3 files from a friends computer, when i try to delete them it says they are locked. At first they appear as folders but when opened mp3 files appear then quickly disappear. Am very concerned about viruses have tried most of the tricks previously listed. Any ideas (thanks):confused:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Leopard Cache Cleaner is very good about clearing locked trash files. Mac Pilot has a separate feature to unlock files in any directory.

guzforster

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Are they "locked"? Hold down Option and select Empty Trash from the Finder pull-down menu.

I just did that and it solved the problem. It was like, the FIRST solution on the thread, and people keep asking how to solve the problem...

sikwe Gh

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
step 1. Open terminal. It’s in your Applications. You can quickly bring it up
through Spotlight search on the top right of the menu bar.

step 2.
In the terminal type :

sudo rm -rf

followed by a space.

step 3. Open trash, and drag over your file or file(s) onto the Terminal
window.

step 4.
Hit Enter on your keyboard, and you will be prompted for your
account password. Input your password.
Hit the Enter key again, and you’re done!
Check the trash to see the file is gone. :D

NB Careful, cos it deletes items PERMANENTLY

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.