Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1
ieani
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ieani
Wireless disconnects periodically

I have this problem with my router where the wireless every 1/2 hour or so will d/c for a few seconds and then reconnect and continue working normally. My guess is theres some kind of IP assigning issue where my IP is maybe being assigned for only 30 minutes or so and then its being reknewed when my wireless is disconnected.

I know this isnt an ISP issue because Ive dealt with it before with my router, a DLink 524. Anyone have any ideas? Im sure its just a simple setting I need to alter but my trial and error guessing so far has proved ineffective.
ieani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
rogerw
macrumors 6502

i had something similar, both the router and modem had the same ip no.
on the router, just reassigned a new ip no (by a couple of digits) so they were different, and all went well. just make sure you make a note of the new no.
rogerw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:49 PM   #3
d wade
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to d wade
i had (might still have) the same problem.

however, instead of reconnecting right way, it would stay disconnected. i had to reconnect manually. then, when i would do that, it would sometimes give me a 'error joining network' message.

what i had to do was change the settings of my router to 'WEP 40/128bit-hex' security instead of 'WEP 40/128bit-ASCII' security. since then, i havent had the same problems. hopefully it will continue to work smoothly, and maybe solve your problem as well.
d wade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 07:40 PM   #4
ieani
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ieani
i did something right. not sure what but it appears to not have d/ced once while i was at work.
ieani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:24 PM   #5
topicolo
macrumors 68000

be careful. Someone could be running a deauthorization attack to get your WEP key. crackers can send packets of info to your router to generate traffic for them to use in decrypting your key and this is one of the symptoms.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:54 PM   #6
REDSRT4
macrumors regular

Could be a router issue
REDSRT4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Miguel0019
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieani
I have this problem with my router where the wireless every 1/2 hour or so will d/c for a few seconds and then reconnect and continue working normally. My guess is theres some kind of IP assigning issue where my IP is maybe being assigned for only 30 minutes or so and then its being reknewed when my wireless is disconnected.

I know this isnt an ISP issue because Ive dealt with it before with my router, a DLink 524. Anyone have any ideas? Im sure its just a simple setting I need to alter but my trial and error guessing so far has proved ineffective.

Reseting Safari has done the trick for me.
Miguel0019 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 09:47 PM   #8
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
Keep in mind that cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors, etc can disconnect a wireless signal if they run on the same 2.4 GHz frequency as the wireless signal.

If you're close enough to your neighbors, anything wireless like a cordless phone can effect your signal as well.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help