Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

System 7.5 Desktop Patterns

I miss the old days of System 7.5 (my first Mac OS). I've scoured the internet, and cannot find the original desktop patterns that came with this system.

Does anyone have them, or know where I could find them?
MoparShaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:21 AM   #2
Doctor Q
Administrator

That's a coincidence. I was just saying that I had no reason to keep my old Mac, but I did anyway, and this might be a good reason to turn it on. It would be fun to see the outer space pattern, circuit board pattern, smooth stones pattern, rubber band pattern, and of course those cute bears once again. Wasn't there a brick pattern too?

Under System 7, desktop patterns were set using a control panel, and didn't live in plain view in a folder, as far as I know. Does anybody know what file under System 7 actually contained the patterns?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 02:59 AM   #3
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q
Under System 7, desktop patterns were set using a control panel, and didn't live in plain view in a folder, as far as I know. Does anybody know what file under System 7 actually contained the patterns?
They are in the Desktop Patterns control panel as ppat resources. Apple make 7.5.3 available free of charge here these days.

Since the software is now being given away, can a mod yea or nay the idea of posting the patterns? If not, I could post extraction instructions (say that ten times fast!) instead.
----
edit: Here's one reasonably easy way to get them out if you download from Apple.

Ingredients to proceed:

Classic installed on X (or a real OS 9 system)
TomeViewer, a Classic application
GraphicConverter (can run under 9 or X)

Follow the Apple download link above, find the link to Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.bin and download all 19 files. Open the first one with Stuffit Expander. This will create a disk image you can open in OS X.

Mount the smi file you opened above with Stuffit, and go into the System 7.5.3 Install folder you'll find in that image. There will be a file called Installation Tome in there, open that with TomeViewer. In the TomeViewer window, select Desktop Patterns (ID 113), pick Expand from the Archive menu, and save it somewhere convenient. You're done with TomeViewer.

Now, start up GraphicConverter, and open that desktop Patterns file you saved earlier. A "Resources from Desktop Patterns dialog will appear. Scroll down to the ppats, click/option-click/whatever the ones you like, and press Take. Save 'em to any format you like. That's it!

Last edited by iMeowbot; Aug 20, 2005 at 03:20 AM.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:33 AM   #4
Doctor Q
Administrator

I see no problem in posting the patterns.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:39 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

(archives removed long ago.)

Last edited by iMeowbot; Aug 5, 2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6
stridey
macrumors 65816

This may be asking too much, but since I don't have classic installed, do you think you could do the patterns from 7.6 too? [Prettypleasesmile][/Prettypleasesmile] It has so many good ones that 7.5 didn't...
stridey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 06:31 PM   #7
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

Thank you so much iMeowbot! I'm thrilled to be re-living the good ol' days of old school desktop patterns.

MoparShaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Sirus The Virus
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the patterns. I'm reliving my childhood.
Sirus The Virus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 09:10 PM   #9
wdlove
macrumors 604

Thank you MoparShaha for the pattern download. I remember System 7.5 very well, the joy of multiple disks for installation. Those were the days. Remember a lot of the desktops also.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

heh. The background picture I really want is one that wasn't ever really a 'background' picture. It's the one that was used in lots of print ads for the Mac IIfx. (You can see it on LowEndMac's page for the IIfx as the displayed graphic on the screen.) Officially, it was just an image in an image editing software; but many people used it with third-party software to use as a background picture. I know I had it on my IIfx at work back in 1992.

If anyone can find THAT picture, I'd be eternally grateful. (I've found a more recent-vintage recreation, but it's just not right. Whoever did the new one has the glass balls different colors, and not distorted enough.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:44 PM   #11
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
Here they are, as PNGs.

patterns.zip is the color set.

bwpats.zip is the bitmap set. The bitmaps are recreations, any misplaced pixels are my fault.
Thanks for the link iMeowbot.
Now I can experience classic Mac desktop patterns.
Thanks Again.
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:12 AM   #12
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridey
This may be asking too much, but since I don't have classic installed, do you think you could do the patterns from 7.6 too? [Prettypleasesmile][/Prettypleasesmile] It has so many good ones that 7.5 didn't...
The stuff from the 7.6 extras folder would be nice. It's easy to justify reposting the artwork from 7.5 since Apple are giving it away. 7.6 is kind of in the twilight zone, no longer sold or really supported but also kept out of the Apple freebie list

Feedback to Apple requesting the unleashing of more old Mac OS versions might be in order here, especially since the Macintel switch makes any question of obsolescence pretty much final.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 02:47 PM   #13
Doctor Q
Administrator

There are still System 7 Macs running at the schools where I volunteer. When I originally set each one up, I picked a different desktop pattern on each Mac, from the built-in collection. It seems unimportant, but to the kids it gives the Macs a little bit of individual personality. Perhaps they even treat the equipment with a little more respect because they don't all look the same.

The Mac OS X builtin patterns are pleasant, but not quite as fun as those old System 7 offerings.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:43 PM   #14
mymacgb
macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been looking for these patterns too - for quite a while - haven't been able to find them. My hopes were raised when I saw this post, but the patterns.zip file link doesn't appear to be active. I really would like to have the original 7.5 -7.6.1 patterns, but it seems they are no where to be found on the internet!

Is there a way I could extract them from from the 7.5.3 system files that imeowbot described? I am running a Powerbook G4 OS 10.4 without Classic Installed. Is there a version of tomeviewer or regedit for Mac OS X that could extract the patterns from one of these files - and also, which file are they located in?

If anyone could post the desktop patterns in a zip file, or point me in the right direction on where to get them, it would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :-)

mymacgb
mymacgb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:48 AM   #15
allbrokeup
macrumors 6502

Better Link...

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...Version_7.5.3/
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:25 PM   #16
mymacgb
macrumors newbie

Which one has the desktop patterns control panel? Will I be able to open it in Mac OS 10.4?

Thanks!

mymacgb

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jul 11, 2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: removed simulated signature; you must use the real Signature feature
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:06 PM   #17
mymacgb
macrumors newbie

Got 'em!

Took a while - here's what I did.

1. Installed Classic on my G4 Powerbook.

2. Downloaded Mac OS 7.5.3.

3. Used Tomeviewer to extract the Desktop Patterns Control Panel.

4. Opened the Control Panel, copied each pattern into jpeg files, one-by-one.

I've created a page here with the Mac OS 7 Desktop Patterns if anyone else wants to download and use these awesome patterns!

http://mymacgb.x10hosting.com/mac-os...-patterns.html

Regards,

Mymacgb

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jul 11, 2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: removed simulated signature; you must use the real Signature feature
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:40 PM   #18
canettieri
macrumors newbie

Repost

Please, repost these patterns!

Tnks
canettieri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 03:33 PM   #19
danhodo
macrumors newbie

I know this topic is old, but I would really love to get those desktops!

The link mymacgb posted does not work anymore Does anyone know where I can get them?
danhodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:11 AM   #20
Mike Richardson
macrumors newbie

Here you go. I used GraphicConverter to convert the entire System 7.5.3 Desktop Patterns file into high quality PNG images. They are 100% bit for bit the same as in System 7.5.3.

http://www.mikerichardson.name/tidbi...opPatterns.zip

This link should never go down, as I generally do not delete anything from the tidbits directory. Enjoy!
Mike Richardson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:58 AM   #21
BittenApple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post
Here you go. I used GraphicConverter to convert the entire System 7.5.3 Desktop Patterns file into high quality PNG images. They are 100% bit for bit the same as in System 7.5.3.

This link should never go down, as I generally do not delete anything from the tidbits directory. Enjoy!
Thanks! Brings back a lot of memories (mmm os 7)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 9.57.46 PM.png
Views:	605
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	223770  
BittenApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:19 PM   #22
G4OS753
macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richardson View Post

THANK YOU!

My Quest is Over!
G4OS753 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:18 PM   #23
canettieri
macrumors newbie

Thanks for those patterns!
canettieri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 09:49 PM   #24
beigelightning
macrumors newbie

thanks for posting

Perfect elegant alternative to the plain color or a loud background for twitter - @daman - here's another mirror too: http://www.fusiformgyrus.com/System7...opPatterns.zip
beigelightning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:44 PM   #25
opeter
macrumors 6502a

Thank you guys, both links are still working!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery