Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buzlink

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Kansas
I have a friend who needs to get rid of his iBook Clamshell. He purchased it brand new for college back when the Clamshells were popular.
My question is how much are these computers worth?
I'm looking to purchase the computer, as a cheap way of learning and using Mac OS, as I'm not very familiar with OS 9 and OS X.

It has 466MGZ, 128MB RAM, 8MB Vid, and a 10GB HD.
OS 9.2.2.

If I do plan to purchase the computer, I want to upgrade to OS X. what upgrades would I have to make to get OS X to run smoothly on the iBook? What limitations will I run into? Is it expensive to upgrade these computers? Also the computer does not have any of the install CDs. The computer and the power cord are all that comes with the computer.

Thanks!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
On ebay there is a Graphite 466MHz iBook with 320MB RAM, 10GB hard drive going for around $200 with 18hours remaining but that included the box and everything that came with the iBook, I would say probably around $100 - $150 would be fair for it. first upgrade would be to get a 512MB PC66 3.3V 144Pin SO-Dimm RAM stick (those are the exact specs you would need to find). The iBook should run os x ok because it was the higher end model, but it will be pretty slow. The iBook does support the latest version of os x, but you would need to buy that because it doesn't come with any discs. If you're just using the computer to learn os x and not do anything demanding of the computer, then it should hold up pretty good.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I agree. I don't think I'd pay more than $150 for that, if not less. Being one of the later models, it's actuall pretty well equipped--passable processor, DVD drive, half-decent graphics, and a firewire port.

Just one thing... the low-rez 800X600 screen makes it hard to use OSX on. It's supported, and even Tiger will install, but it's not comfortable--that's why I wouldn't pay much for it--even the first gen white iBook or an older G3 black PowerBook is going to get you more OSX mileage due to the larger screen. For just getting aquainted, it aught to be fine, but don't spend too much on it, and make sure you load up on RAM (should be cheap) before trying to install OSX or it'll run pathetically.

I'd try starting with OSX 10.2 if I were you; it should be very cheap to find install discs, and while it's not as smooth as 10.3, it's less RAM hungry. 10.3 would be "ideal", but only if you can find a good deal on it. 10.4 will work, but unless you max the RAM it's not going to feel as comfortable as 10.3, I'd wager, and it'll cost you significantly more.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
I can vouch for the clamshell's worth. I use a 300 mhz tangerine model and it runs Panther perfectly. The only major upgrades it has is a 256 mb RAM module, totalling the RAM to 288 mb. Combined with a new battery, 40 gig hard drive and an airport card and the thing is perfect for web browsing, iTunes, Word and if you want to just explore the OS it would do well too. Good Luck. Oh if you're looking to upgrade the components, ifixit.com has some great repair/upgrade guides.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Makosuke said:
I agree. I don't think I'd pay more than $150 for that, if not less. Being one of the later models, it's actuall pretty well equipped--passable processor, DVD drive, half-decent graphics, and a firewire port.

Same here, I don't think that I would pay anything over $150 for that iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.