Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
i have a first generation ibook and a pc laptop, both with the 12.1" screens but i like what i see with larger screens from 14" and up

sometimes the letters seem a big small while i am surfing the web on my laptops, but the 12" powerbook's other features it offers besides its screen seem very tempting

and the 12" 800 mhz ibook with combo drive seems to be a really great value for the money

junkionxl

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2003
Delaware
maybe…maybe not

Nah not really I was at CompUSA and I thought it was nice. The keyboard looked small to me but it's an average size keyboard though. i thought it was a nice machine besides it doesn't have a L3 cache I hear. And by the way for anyone who looks in here the 17" Pb isnt due for a bit. I talked to a apple Consultant today and she said she ordered her's a while ago before it went public and still hasn't recieved it.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
if you don't have the greatest vision then i could definitely see that the 12 inch screens are to small...but i love them. i could never get the 14 inch ibook...seems like a big waste of space. my perfect ibook would be the size of the 12 inch with the screen being 13 inchs...stretched to the edge instead of having space there.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I played with a powerbook 12" today at CompUSA, and I didn't like the screen size, but I am used to my 15" screen. (the display itself seemed bright and crisp) If I was still coming from my PC's screen I would probably not miss the space. (i.e. I am spoiled)

(I really considered the 12" iBook for the size when I switched. I was worried that the 15" wouldn't be portable enough (But I need a G4), however I am very happy with my purchase now. I have adjusted to the larger width.)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i am not at all bothered by the 12" screen on my ibook. i use it to email, browse, write (creatively), and do some unix shell programming.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
ok off topic BUT

since two of the last three posters ask us to join in on folding....i think i'll give it a try. but are you guys sure it wont wear out my computer? i cant really afford to shorten its life. and are they good about not using your computer when your doing heavy processing?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i like the small 12" apples but, i wouldnt need a G4 with that screen. its too small for ME to work on....with large photoshop files and all. and thats all i really need a G4 for :D. so the power book 12" would be over kill on performance and price. i would go for an ibook since i would use it for travel and surfing the web around the house. but i wouldnt work on it. someone who writes code would probably love it. i think they need a lot of power to compile. and the small screen would be fine for them (maybe, i dont know) since their just typing in code....crazy stuff. im learning flash and love it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i find the pixel density on the 12 inch screens ideal actually. 1024x768 on anything larger just look strange to me.

but i think that a 1024x768 resolution a bit too small to do any serious work. writing papers in word you dont have enough screen space to see a single page (let alone two like so many monitors). web browsing with on 768 pixels high is very frustrating.

but for a laptop that is supposed to be compact the above complaints are pretty minor, as in that form factor you are willing to sacrifice screen realestate for the benefit of compactness.

if apple used the same pixel density of the 12" in their other displays id be very happy.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by beatle888
ok off topic BUT

since two of the last three posters ask us to join in on folding....i think i'll give it a try. but are you guys sure it wont wear out my computer? i cant really afford to shorten its life. and are they good about not using your computer when your doing heavy processing?

I have been running programs like this for years without trouble. If you are concerned and want the opinion of the whole group, post a thread asking that question in the Distributed Computing Section.

I know the guys that have been folding for Team MacRumors for years could help you.

dprlynch

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
Houston TX
I've had a 12" iBook for about 7 months now and love the screen. It's perfect for portability but not too small to be able to read. If you're going to be running several programs at once (all the time) or need more space, I'd go with a larger screen. If you're only running a few programs (or several programs occasionally) then 12" is fine.

One odd note: the 12" screen seems larger after awhile. Whenever I see a 12" iBook or PowerBook on display at a store, they seem smaller than my own iBook. I know it's just a perspective thing, but I wonder if anyone else notices that.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I went from 14" PC to 12" iBook

Actually, I went from a 14" Dell Inspiron to a 12" iBook and I actually like the smaller size. I only ran my Dell at 1024x768 so I have the same amount of screen real estate.

I don't find the screen to small. Text is just as sharp as on my 14", with all the anti-aliasing that OS X has.

In fact, I specifically was looking for a smaller laptop when my Dell died, and 12" seemed about the smallest size that could still run 1024x768.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by Stelliform
I played with a powerbook 12" today at CompUSA, and I didn't like the screen size, but I am used to my 15" screen. (the display itself seemed bright and crisp) If I was still coming from my PC's screen I would probably not miss the space. (i.e. I am spoiled)

I think I should have been more descriptive in my distaste for the 12". The screen was easy to read and well proportioned. I just like having more windows open and more space to move around. (the 12" had the same real estate as my 13" Dell did. I have just gotten spoiled to the extra room on the 15". I think the 12" would have served me great if I went to it directly from another 1024x768 display. (in fact I would prefer it in that situation because of the small size of the laptop)

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I used to think 12" iBook's screen seemed small until I did a little comparison. I went to local CompUSA and measured application icons & etc in 15" TiBook with tape ruler and compared that in 12" iBook. It turns out that pixel images of those icons are almost same in both machines, iBook being just slightly (I mean really slightly) smaller.

So basically, images you see on iBook really aren't all that smaller than TiBooks. If anything, it is smaller pixel dimension of the display on iBook that is causing one to perceive things to be smaller and claustrophobic.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Yes.

I had a 12" for a couple weeks but had to go back to a 15".

I *loved* the portability of the 12" but it's not for someone who spends hours and hours with a laptop.

It'd be perfect if you have a Powermac at your desk.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by Stelliform
I have been running programs like this for years without trouble. If you are concerned and want the opinion of the whole group, post a thread asking that question in the Distributed Computing Section.

I know the guys that have been folding for Team MacRumors for years could help you.

thank you. i'll check it out.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
I like it

I've got a 12" G4 and have used it constantly for the past month. I am working on a dissertation for my Ph.D. and the portability is perfect. I have not had any complaints and have gotten quite used to it. I did notice that it was a little bit of a hassle to switch between multiple documents in Photoshop as I was trying to copy and past things from one figure to the next. I have a 15"or 17" old mac monitor at home and plug in and use that sometimes but I always catch myself just using the 12" screen. For word processing, excel, small photoshop, presentations, internet, mp3, etc. it has been ideal. Don't attempt to run virtualPC. I've gotten used to it and remember when I first saw it I thought it was a little small. But I am very content. I've just got to learn how to switch between windows. Anyone know a universal keystroke for that in 10.2?

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
When I'm on the train, or away from home, the 12" @ 1024x768 is perfect. When I'm at home, I have it plugged into a 19" CRT running at 1280 x 1024 (monitor spanning of course) which gives me a lot more room. Best of both worlds :)

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I am using my sisters 12" iBook right now..it's really sweet! Although the 12" screen is not very good for doing graphic work it still works great for surfing the net, iTunes, e-mail, and simple things like that. I wouldnt mind having one just for word proccesing, notes, and e-mail.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'm worried about the 12" screen on the PowerBook also. I have a 15" TiBook, a 12" iBook and a 15" iBook. You'd think I'd use the TiBook most, but, alas, it's a 400 and it's incredibly dim compared to the iBooks. I find myself using the 14" most, but the Ti gets a workout when I need the speed. I guess for me the 14" BRIGHT screen with lots of real estate is the kicker, at least for casual use. That being said, I WANT the 12" PB... so I'll wait to see one at an Apple store. And who can afford a 17" PB, anyway? I'll dream on that one.

L

littlejim

RE: does anybody find the 12" ibook or powerbook screen too small?

I've just taken delivery of a 12" powerbook and I am blown away by this baby!! The quality is superb and the resolution to screen size ratio is perfect.

I don't plan on any heavy duty development using the internal display (I'll use an external monitor for that) but for everyday 'normal' stuff, life doesn't get any better for me ... it is the best Mac I have *ever* owned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.