Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 23, 2006, 05:25 PM   #1
kakarutsu
macrumors newbie

Apple Denying Major in Mac iPod Rebate

Be careful if you decide to take advantage of the Apple Major in Mac rebate promotion. I bought an iPod at my university computer store and sent in the rebate and now Apple is telling me that the receipt wasn't valid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the receipt ... it has all the required information and the rebate was postmarked just a few days after I bought my MacBook and iPod. I re-sent the receipt via certified mail and I still haven't heard back from them. I would've never bought that damn iPod if I knew this was going to happen.
kakarutsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Generally for Apples rebates that are "Buy this product and get $200 off an iPod", the iPod has to be on the same receipt as the other item.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
solvs
macrumors 601

Um, have you tried calling them?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 07:32 PM   #4
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
Generally for Apples rebates that are "Buy this product and get $200 off an iPod", the iPod has to be on the same receipt as the other item.
Yes, the computer and the iPod has to be on the SAME receipt. So if they are not, then they are right to deny your rebate.

Read more carefully next time.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Fukui
macrumors 68000

You should have bought them at the same time and on the same receipt.
That being said, if they were bought very close to each other, call the apple support, and you can convince the phone person you planned to buy them at the same time, you might get a rebate.

Just try it, and be courteous.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukui
You should have bought them at the same time and on the same receipt.
That being said, if they were bought very close to each other, call the apple support, and you can convince the phone person you planned to buy them at the same time, you might get a rebate.

Just try it, and be courteous.
Yep, give it a try, and be nice while doing so, and they might make an exception for you.
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarutsu
Be careful if you decide to take advantage of the Apple Major in Mac rebate promotion. I bought an iPod at my university computer store and sent in the rebate and now Apple is telling me that the receipt wasn't valid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the receipt ... it has all the required information and the rebate was postmarked just a few days after I bought my MacBook and iPod. I re-sent the receipt via certified mail and I still haven't heard back from them. I would've never bought that damn iPod if I knew this was going to happen.
maybe ask your university store to take everything back (on paper) and then re-purchase everything with the ipod on the receipt...
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:22 AM   #8
WillMak
macrumors 6502a

I called apple for last year's promotion because I purchased on two seperate receipts. They said no big deal and gave me the rebate.
WillMak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:45 AM   #9
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

If you check the FAQ on the Apple Store, it says they have to be on the same receipt.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10
baby duck monge
macrumors 68000

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that you did not get your laptop and iPod on the same receipt because I'm not getting that from your post.

That being said, call Apple either way and see if you can get them to either tell you specifically what is wrong or make an exception for you if you bought them within a day or two of eachother. It can't hurt to call, and perhaps you'll get lucky!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:34 AM   #11
count chocula
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to count chocula Send a message via Skype™ to count chocula
they accepted my rebate submission and sent the check. i bought my macbook the saturday before the promotion started. the monday after that the promotion was announced we gave the apple store a call and they added the nano and said it would be eligible for the rebate. we submited the rebate and they sent the check on july 12th. i would just give apple a call.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:14 AM   #12
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

There are a few posts that recommend calling Apple. It is the right thing to do. Apple's Customer Relations department is all about making people happy. I personally have done this, and, though they couldn't honor my rebate, I have a $200 credit with Apple for their merchandise.

Stay calm, give them a call, explain your situation, and you should be all set. If they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:42 PM   #13
kakarutsu
macrumors newbie

Yeah, They're on the Same Receipt

I bought the MacBook and the iPod at the same time ... and they're on the same receipt. I will give a call and see what happens.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Fukui
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarutsu
I bought the MacBook and the iPod at the same time ... and they're on the same receipt. I will give a call and see what happens.
When you sent the rebate in, did you cut out the whole card board of the box that includes the product description and serial number or did you peel the sticker with the product number on it? I think I remember seeing a place where it says peeled off stickers would not be accepted or something like that... (my friend recently got one) and I think they wanted the cut-out side of the two boxes that have the product # and description (ipod macbook) and the receipt...

Anyways, hope you get your rebate
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:01 PM   #15
macdaddy121
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to macdaddy121
I went to the apple store and talked with someone about having the macbook and ipod on the same receipt. In a couple of weeks there is a no tax weekend in GA and the purchases can not exceed $1500. The apple salesman told me that he could put the macbook on one receipt, the ipod and printer on another purchase (meaning another receipt) so that the price would not exceed 1500. He said that they have been doing this for a few years and everyone does it (other types of retail stores). I asked about the one receipt thing and he said apple rebate will know what is going on. He also said that if you order from the apple website on the tax free weekend and have it shipped inside the state (that is having the tax free weekend) than apples website will know not to charge you tax. How true is all of this?
macdaddy121 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:04 PM   #16
kakarutsu
macrumors newbie

An Update on the Rebate War

Okay, so I called Apple and the customer service rep told me that my receipt did not indicate the reseller even though the name of the store is clearly apparent on the invoice. (I don't get it. Does the ink have to be a certain color?)

I was then told they would "escalate" the review of my receipt and that I should call back in a few days.

I think Apple's getting stingy.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:45 AM   #17
kakarutsu
macrumors newbie

Happy Ending

I just wanted to close out this thread with news that I got my rebate. Woo hoo! There certainly was some stress involved, but it turned out well.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:50 AM   #18
dextertangocci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to dextertangocci
Good for you
dextertangocci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:38 PM   #19
rafifreak00
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to rafifreak00
Now let's just hope this doesn't happen to the rest of us...
rafifreak00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod