Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:04 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

AMD and ATI join forces

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: AMD and ATI join forces
Description:: AMD and ATI announced today a plan to join forces in a transaction that will combine AMD’s technology leadership in microprocessors with ATI’s strengths in graphics, chipsets and consumer electronics. The result (they claim) is a new competitor, better equipped to drive growth, innovation and choice for its customers in commercial and mobile computing segments and in rapidly-growing consumer electronics segments. The transaction, valued at US $5.4 billion, is expected to close in Q4 2006 subject to approval by ATI shareholders, court approval, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Yvan256
macrumors 601

I hope they won't go the "exclusive package deals only" way. You know, no ATI GPU unless you use AMD processors...

If that's the case, I guess all future Macs will have an nVidia GPU.
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:10 AM   #3
mcnaugha
macrumors member

Exactly what we're all wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256
I hope they won't go the "exclusive package deals only" way. You know, no ATI GPU unless you use AMD processors...

Hopefully Steve will mention this in his Keynote next month. I don't think they'll be as cheeky as to tie the GPU to the CPU... but it certainly doesn't look like a good pairing [Intel and ATI] anymore.

Does this count as the 2nd kick to Steve's teeth from ATI?

The main difference between ATI and Nvidia hardware is the larger number of shaders in the former. I wonder if Mac OS X utilises these, as this might explain why Apple has favoured ATI technology.

Apparently Intel are about to release their next gen GPU which will catch up on Shader technology. So certainly in the next consumer and mobile Apple products, we may see Intel GPUs. As for the Pro systems, if they don't use Nvidia... it won't look so smart for Apple next month.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:21 AM   #4
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:

I don't think that ATI would be that dumb. Aren't they neck-and-neck with nVidia in the graphics business right now (as far as marketshare)? If they tied themselves like you suggest then that would mean an immediate drop in marketshare for ATI.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:31 AM   #5
confirmed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w
I don't think that ATI would be that dumb. Aren't they neck-and-neck with nVidia in the graphics business right now (as far as marketshare)? If they tied themselves like you suggest then that would mean an immediate drop in marketshare for ATI.
it's not up to ATI, it's up to AMD now. and they've already announced that they will not supply Intel when the deal is done. now that depends of course, if the deal is allowed to go through, and honestly, i don't know if it will. with only 2 real graphics companies, taking one away from the competition sounds pretty anti-competitive to me.
confirmed is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:02 AM   #6
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

This actually sounds like great news for nVidia.
If the deal goes through, won't they get a huge amount of business from non-AMD computers?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
REDSRT4
macrumors regular

I would guess they wont leave out the macs and intel chips but who knows with AMD and ATI
REDSRT4 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #8
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
If AMD/ATI are smart, they will conduct business as usual. If they don't, the only people they'll be helping are Nvidia and Intel.

Results of this that I see:

1. First party AMD chipsets.
2. Crossfire effectively dead unless they continue to license technology to intel.
BenRoethig is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by confirmed
now that depends of course, if the deal is allowed to go through, and honestly, i don't know if it will. with only 2 real graphics companies, taking one away from the competition sounds pretty anti-competitive to me.
What about Adobe and Macromedia? I was shocked that it was even allowed to go through. Who is going to challenge Adobe now? And dont say Quark coz that is just too funny.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:07 AM   #10
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Since OS X uses OpenGL, wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to go with the GPU that's more OpenGL-oriented? And isn't that nVidia?

Of course, maybe ATI is going the "power per watt" route too...
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:09 AM   #11
BenRoethig
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to BenRoethig Send a message via Yahoo to BenRoethig
Quote:
Originally Posted by confirmed
it's not up to ATI, it's up to AMD now. and they've already announced that they will not supply Intel when the deal is done. now that depends of course, if the deal is allowed to go through, and honestly, i don't know if it will. with only 2 real graphics companies, taking one away from the competition sounds pretty anti-competitive to me.
What are they going to do, punish Nvidia for AMD/ATI shooting themselves in the foot?
BenRoethig is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:13 AM   #12
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

This shuffles things to a point but looking at Intel and their upcoming integrated(not current) GPU's it seems to me the odd man left out might be Nvidia.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:23 AM   #13
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Since OS X uses OpenGL, wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to go with the GPU that's more OpenGL-oriented? And isn't that nVidia?

Of course, maybe ATI is going the "power per watt" route too...
Since ive had my ATI card its been nothing but trouble. I originally had an Nvidia card and never had a problem.

I went back to the place that installed my card because the screen would freeze when any 3D rendering was needed. They told me use an earlier firmware, but doing so stopped the GPU fan from working and I was frying my machine without even knowing it for months. I'd be glad if Apple went the Nvidia route.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:36 AM   #14
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not really...apparently Windows OpenGL drivers are faster on nVidia, but that's a software issue. ATI cards have generally worked better on Macs, also due to better software. If nVidia really was somehow inherently "better" at OpenGL, you would think Apple would have used them exclusively years ago, no?

Anyway, I hope this doesn't see the end of ATI cards on Macs. It certainly means there won't be any ATI integrated graphics in Macs, but that's irrelevant since there never were going to be ATI or nVidia integrated graphics in Macs, just Intel.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:04 PM   #15
fixyourthinking
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to fixyourthinking
Interesting tidbit of history

Chips & Technologies made the video chip for the PowerBook Duo ... Apple stopped using C&T when Intel bought them out.

Intel completes purchase of ARM (buying majority of shares from Apple)

Apple gets mad at ATI over leaking the Daisy iMac ... Apple starts using Nvidia as a "dual supplier"

Apple licensed USB from Intel ... Intel released USB 2.0 to directlt compete with firewire

AMD starts to have greater than 50% marketshare

Firewire was dropped from the iPod (around the time it was being rumored and obviously happening) when Intel / Apple teamed up for the new Intel Macs.

AMD attempts buy of ATi
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #16
Silencio
macrumors 68000

It would be a pretty dumb business move for AMD to keep ATI's video cards/GPUs tied to its own platform, since Intel still makes up the vast majority of the market out there. Never a wise idea to leave that kind of money on the table.

The whole video card market for the Macintosh is going to turn upside down next month, anyway. The Mac Pros will need their own line of cards; the burning question in my mind is what kinds of differences in hardware/firmware there will be between regular Wintel video cards and those for Intel-based Macs. At worst, the re-engineering required to make video cards for the Intel Macs should be much, much less than for the PPC Macs. At best, it should be much easier to hack "non-compatible" video cards to work in the new Macs.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:35 PM   #17
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:

No they will prob go the way of having nice PHAT discounts for companies that buy AMD which I don’t expect Apple to go with anytime soon.
And I welcome a full nVidia switch. Like Intel nVidia has seriously gotten its act together over the last 3 years.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Timepass
Banned

I can see it as a good think. The I dont see ATI cards being tied only to AMD cpus. Now I do see ATI cards be opimized for the AMD CPU first and then the intel chips right now almost everything is opimized for Intel CPUs first and then AMD.

Also it could be a really good thing for AMD because they may finally start making there own chip sets for there CPUs. For the most part I dont expect to see much of anything change to the rest of us. ATI will be just as easy to get at nVidia and no realy changes. It will just be bussiness as useally. It mostly in just the RoD side it maybe helpful.
Timepass is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:33 PM   #19
srobert
macrumors 68020

A summary of what is known at this point.

Quote:
There is a lot of news surrounding ATI at the moment, especially with the AMD buy out confirmed earlier today.

Intel has pulled ATI's chipset license, meaning that there will be no more ATI (or rather, AMD) chipsets for Intel processors after the end of the year.

There will still be time for one more though, namely the upcoming RD600 chipset, which doesn't look like it will be cancelled, despite the earlier news. However, it is unclear whether the RD600 project will see the light of day though.

Intel has pushed the fact that its 975X chipset supports CrossFire quite heavily, especially with the Core 2 Duo launch. I think it is a fairly safe bet to say that Intel will contine to support CrossFire on its high end chipsets for the foreseeable future.

After all, Intel is keen to sell its own products, especially now it has the fastest chip on the market. Also, I don't believe that AMD would choose to lock CrossFire out on Intel's chipsets either, because it just wouldn't make financial sense - AMD/ATI will still profit from the video cards sold for use with Intel products.

Intel has already dropped support for CrossFire on its 965-series chipsets and it is unclear whether Intel will continue to design chipsets that support multi-GPU technologies. The company has been hinting at moving GPU tasks back onto the CPU for a few months now.

Last edited by srobert; Jul 24, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
srobert is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:46 PM   #20
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
Not really...apparently Windows OpenGL drivers are faster on nVidia, but that's a software issue. ATI cards have generally worked better on Macs, also due to better software. If nVidia really was somehow inherently "better" at OpenGL, you would think Apple would have used them exclusively years ago, no?
Well, I'd think so too, but maybe there's some other price/power facts to consider, too. Or even something as simple as contracts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5
Anyway, I hope this doesn't see the end of ATI cards on Macs. It certainly means there won't be any ATI integrated graphics in Macs, but that's irrelevant since there never were going to be ATI or nVidia integrated graphics in Macs, just Intel.
Either you post really confused me or I think you misunderstand what "integrated" means.

The iMac has an "integrated" ATI chip, in the way that it's part of the motherboard. It's not an "ATI card" like most PCs or the PowerMac. You just can't upgrade the "graphic card" on an iMac, a G4 Mac mini, an iBook, a PowerBook or a MacBook Pro. The ATI/nVidia GPUs and their dedicated RAM are part of the computer's motherboard. In that sense, they're "integrated".

The Intel "integrated" GPUs are part of chipsets. The MacBook Pro has both an ATI and an Intel Intregrated GPU. It's just not using the Intel GPU part of the chipset. At least that's the way I understand it as far as the MacBook Pro is concerned.
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:49 PM   #21
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Eek. I predict that Intel will buy nVidia to counter. Then we'll see ATI shut out of Apple's offerings...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:11 PM   #22
eji
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to eji Send a message via AIM to eji Send a message via MSN to eji Send a message via Yahoo to eji Send a message via Skype™ to eji
Well, Intel just pulled their ATI chipset license, "meaning that there will be no more ATI (or rather, AMD) chipsets for Intel processors after the end of the year."

Intel's sour grapes has now led to more limited choice. This is why mergers stink.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:31 PM   #23
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

THE SKY IS FALLING!!
THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:03 PM   #24
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMBA
THE SKY IS FALLING!!
THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Uh, no. Calm down. Microsoft buying Apple warrants such a response. AMD buying ATI might not even matter much in the long run.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:18 PM   #25
BOOMBA
macrumors regular

I was kidding.
I agree with you, this isn't gonna be a big deal. Calm down everyone.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion