Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:28 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Pain in the pod

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Pain in the pod
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2
plinden
macrumors 68040

Wow, I must be incredibly lucky then. I've had my iPod (40GB iPod Photo) for 18 months without any issues ...

I thought I'd fried it once, about 7 months ago, when I had it my iTrip in my car and turned the ignition. There was a loud crackle and pop and it wouldn't turn on. I left it overnight, followed the Apple reset instructions, and it's been running fine ever since. Even the battery life is fine. Last week, I accidently left it on in my pocket for six hours straight and it was down to just over half charge when I noticed.
plinden is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3
dsnort
macrumors 68000

There are always those that want to tear down the beautiful building the architect has built.
dsnort is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

My iPod has survived the most abuse I've ever put any of my electronic equipment through. The worst of this abuse was when I still had the felt cover that came with my 5G; it fell out of my pocket on the way into work, and sat beside my car, in a downpour, for 8 hours.

After letting it dry for a day, it has worked quite well. I feel rather ashamed, though, as I usually take immaculate care of things I own -- 'specially Apple products. I've had issues with it, but it's completely unrelated to this incident and I had them prior to it sitting in water.

Specifically, if I press the back button as a song is finishing, it cycles into an endless 5 second loop of that song. I have to press menu and replay the song. It's been doing that since day 1. I always chalked it up to a software bug, so I've not taken it in. Though, due to water "damage", my warranty is now null and void, I'm sure.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
kildraik
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to kildraik Send a message via Skype™ to kildraik
I personally think that part of the problem is that people abuse them. They throw their iPods, leave them in extreme heat, sit on the, drop them: No wonder why they don't work after a year! My 5G 60GB iPod, bought in early February, looks brand new (no scrathes, defects, anything- not even kidding), acts brand new, runs brand new, and it's battery seems brand new. My iPod has played music for 21 hours straight before. Of course, I baby the thing.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I know people who do abuse them, all the time. It's actually sad.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:13 PM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildraik
Maybe I'm lucky, but I know people who do abuse them, all the time. It's actually sad.

Not me, I cherish my iPod as if it was made just for me by Steve Jobs himself.
dmw007 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:32 PM   #7
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildraik
I don't know how it's "sad" that people put something they own through its paces. It's a consumer device that's made to be portable, on the go, and with you at all times; it's bound to get beat up.

Oddly enough, too, you can do this with other forms of electronics and they seem to be more durable. Of course, the most comparable thing here is a CD player, because it has moving mechanical parts (and plays music), and they seemed to withstand abuse. The article also points out that, while the failure rate -- estimated at 15% -- is common in the electronic industry, replacing an iPod is often times more expensive than replacing a failed cell phone or MP3 CD player.

Apple doesn't help matters, PR wise, by not allowing users to replace serviceable items such as the battery. But, in the end, it's not made to be with you 20 years from now [though the device itself would probably last that long]; it (the standard iPod) is, after all, a hard drive and hard drives fail in even the most secure locations, let alone inside someone's pocket.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Fredo Viola
macrumors member

yeah, I had a g3 (or g4, can't quite recall) iPod for over two years... the only thing after that was the battery only lasted 45 minutes. but Apple replaced the whole unit (much to my consternation! Couldn't they just have replaced the battery?) and this new one has been working great for almost a year now.

I am very careful with my iPod. It IS electronics equipment, after all, so it doesn't even have many scratches on it. I think folks need to treat their iPods better if they want them to last.

My portable cd players... I used to carry a Sony. It started malfunctioning within 8 months. Needed to be flatout replaced after a year. My cellphone started malfunctioning after 3 months! I think what the poster above me has written is bunk.
Fredo Viola is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:46 AM   #9
SC68Cal
macrumors 68000

If my parents have managed not to destroy theirs, that's a tribute to their robust design.
SC68Cal is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:22 AM   #10
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixivial
Apple doesn't help matters, PR wise, by not allowing users to replace serviceable items such as the battery. But, in the end, it's not made to be with you 20 years from now [though the device itself would probably last that long]; it (the standard iPod) is, after all, a hard drive and hard drives fail in even the most secure locations, let alone inside someone's pocket.
Go to batteries.com and you'll find batteries and a little pry tool to open the iPod up. Sure, it's not as easy as it could be, but to claim the battery is not user replaceable is absurd.
Ugg is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:42 PM   #11
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Sure, it's not as easy as it could be, but to claim the battery is not user replaceable is absurd.
I'm aware of this "solution." I didn't say it wasn't user serviceable -- if I misrepresented my opinion such as that, then I'm sorry -- I said that Apple didn't design it to be user serviceable. And I never meant to convey the opinion that Apple is alone in this design decision, but I was referencing the iPod as it relates to this article.

Quote:
My portable cd players... I used to carry a Sony. It started malfunctioning within 8 months. Needed to be flatout replaced after a year. My cellphone started malfunctioning after 3 months! I think what the poster above me has written is bunk.
If you feel that's "bunk," that's all right as we're all entitled to our opinions, but allow me to clarify as you seem to have misjudged my response entirely. It seems that you experienced what some others -- the industry standard ~15% mentioned in this article -- are experiencing with their iPods, yet how much does a MP3 CD player cost these days? 29.99? 49.99 tops? I'm not discussing features/price here, I'm simply using CD player as they're the closest thing to HDD-based iPods. I still have a Discman that I received from 1998 that, while two ball bearings recently fell out of the spindle, still plays CDs just as well as it did back then.

Part of what I was saying is that, while the failure rate for an iPod may be within reason, it still costs a lot more than other components that fail -- and that was a quote from the article that I felt was a good point. I did say seemed, which was meant to imply in my experience. If I used some of the arguments presented in this thread I would say, flat out, that you mistreated your CD player or your cell phone simply because I have not had the same experiences you have. This statement is likely false and that was what I was trying to convey -- that simply because people are having failures, doesn't mean that it's necessarily due to mistreatment, or design failures. It could be both; it could be one or the other; it could be neither at all.

If you feel that I'm somehow asserting that the iPod is fragile (or "attacking Apple") please read my first post about the neglect I've put mine through and how happy I am with mine. I'm sorry if I somehow offended you as that wasn't my intention... In the end, though, the iPod is not made to be around for 20 years, just as its technological predecessors (the walkman, discman, etc) were not. If it lives that long, great, but I don't think it was designed to be that way.

Last edited by Lixivial; Jul 25, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:05 PM   #12
jbembe
macrumors 6502a

I bought a shuffle to avoid any hard drive problems given that I bike every day with my iPod and the shuffle just crapped out after 5 months. I keep it in the pocket and treat it the same as the hard-drive players, but it lasted far less time.

Let's hope they don't charge me a third of the original price just to ship the darn thing and get a new one.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:23 AM   #13
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

I'm coming up on my two-year anniversary of my Photo and with it the extended warrantee. Lets see how much longer it lasts past that warrantee. I hope itís a while. I want to get at least 3 years off this thing.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion