Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Well, I'm not sure if my LCD is gone or that some type of other LED has went out on the LCD. When I look at the screen, I can see the desktop,menu bar, and dock just fine, proplem is, it's very dim, I mean very very dim. I was able to naviagate my way to the display options, and brightness was all the way up. I tried moving the brightness up and down, but couldnt see a difference. I'm wondering if there is a seperate LED that the brightness control uses. Any info wil help, and I'll start doing google searches too.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Sounds to me like your backlight is shot. The LCD part only determines the color. It is up to the backlight to supply the brightness.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think your screen may be on it's way out. If not the screen then the light (it's not an LED - LED-lit LCD screens are only just coming out and they cost a fortune) may be on its last legs.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
As others have posted, it is likely you need a new backlight. Did u notice any flickering with the monitor before it rendered its soul? That is what mine did...flickered then died...about one month before applecare runned out....

And, no! I wasn't lucky...They lost the monitor and it took 7 weeks to get a replacement :mad:

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
I did some google searches, and it seems that the inverter board going bad has cause this for others. I'll go to my apple reseller to see if thy keep parts handy. I'm way past Applecare so i'll be doing this myself.
ScubaDuc said:
As others have posted, it is likely you need a new backlight. Did u notice any flickering with the monitor before it rendered its soul? That is what mine did...flickered then died...about one month before applecare runned out....

And, no! I wasn't lucky...They lost the monitor and it took 7 weeks to get a replacement :mad:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
dejo said:
Sounds to me like your backlight is shot. The LCD part only determines the color. It is up to the backlight to supply the brightness.

Same here, that sounds like the backlight for the LCD is dying/dead. :eek:

REDSRT4

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
had similar issue on an old PC LCD from viewsonic, the lcd eventually got dimmer and dimmer and finally went out, lucky it had standard 3 year warranty and viewsonic swapped it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.