Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
With WWDC now 2 weeks away, there's alot on people's wish lists. We know the Mac Pro is coming, but what configs, Blu-Ray as an option? Will they introduce a mid-tower -- a headless iMac, something inbetween the Mini and the Pro with expandability. New displays? a MiniDVR? Merom and Conroe are out. Where are they going. The MBP and iMac. Will the MB and Mini see Merom, or just bumps.

What we want (from what I've seen in threads - I won't go into ghz, I'm sure someone'll add specs):

Mac Pro - a Quad tower
a Pro tower that is still affordable
a new mid-tower, possibly smaller case, for less than $1600

all sporting a new case, Blu-Ray options, Woodcrest, and dual optical drives

MacBook Pro - a 12", a new case, magnetic latch a la MB, Merom

iMac - Merom or Conroe, X1800 graphics, 23" and no chin

Macbook - Merom, dedicated graphics, no more moo, no more discoloration

Mac Mini - Merom, DVR, dedicated graphics (or at least the GMA 965 128 MB chipset) and a price drop

Displays - iSights built in, and significant price drops

Oh yeah - and a preview of the next kitty (Leopard), with a new Finder.

And did I mention - one more thing - full screen video iPods with no-touch gesture controls. And make it a phone too.

What we'll most likely get:

Mac Pro - a Quad tower
a Pro tower
a lower Pro tower

no new case, Woodcrest, and dual optical drives if we're lucky

MacBook Pro - Merom, and a magnetic latch a la MB

iMac - Merom or Conroe and X1800 graphics if we're lucky

Macbook - Yonah still, and if we're lucky the GMA 965, or nothing at all till Paris at the earliest

Mac Mini - Yonah, and if the Macbook gets it, maybe the GMA 965, but even less likely before Paris

Displays - iSights built in, and price drops but not too significant

A preview of Leopard, but no new Finder.

And did I mention - one more thing - actually it will be earlier, since music comes at the beginning of the keynote - updated Nanos.

Hey, I want a mid-tower or a beefed up Mini, and I've been waiting a while, but I'm going to end up waiting longer. Whatever it is, Steve will make a bigger deal out of it, and give us less new stuff than we wanted.

HardLine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2006
If there is no new finder than I'm not getting OS X 10.5, plain and simple.

Right now the hardware doesn't matter to me at all. I've used the Intel Mac's and they're fast enough. They need to fix OS X. They need to release a proper mouse.

The Explorer in Windows XP is so much more functional to me, and most of all it works with the back and forth buttons on my mouse. Not only that but the one thing OS X 10.4 does that made me fall in love with it, spotlight, is being incorporated into Vista.

Now please don't take my comments as a Mac OS X versus Vista comment, it's not. I'm just telling you what I like, and what I think Apple needs to improve on, that's it.

[puts flame suit on since people are bound to pelt me with fruits and vegtables]

What I would like for hardware, and this is just a wishlist more than anything:

A smaller Apple notebook, they need something under 4 pounds with more than 4 hours of battery life for me to take Apple's notebook line seriously.

The Mac Mini needs to start using desktop hard drives aka no more 2.5 inch drives, but 3.5 inch drives.

They need a UWXGA version of the iMac, aka 1920x1200, I don't care what size the screen is, I just want the resolution.

They need a UWXGA version of the 17 inch MacBook Pro. I don't need to explain why, they just do.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
HardLine said:
If there is no new finder than I'm not getting OS X 10.5, plain and simple.

Agreed on this, I had that exact same thought earlier today as I was struggling to move some files from a child folder to its parent folder. On Windows XP it would take all of 1 seconds. On Mac OS I have to..

1) Select the files
2) Open new finder window
3) Oh noes, no "Open folder in new window" option, I have to navigate back to the folder I want (first folder's parent!)
4) Drag the files over and drop them

How the hell is it harder to do things the Windows way? Select files, CTRL-X, hit backspace to go to parent, CTRL-V.

I don't get it.

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
HardLine said:
...A smaller Apple notebook, they need something under 4 pounds with more than 4 hours of battery life for me to take Apple's notebook line seriously...

I wonder how many people actually want this?

I hear it a lot on these boards, and it's something I really want too. There are a few Windows machines like these and from what I see in coffee shops they seem to sell pretty well. Surely there's room for Apple to make one too.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
While I think it unlikely, it would be an awesome PR stunt to wrap up the Intel transition by updating every model with new chips.

I really don't see it happening - but who knows.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I agree. The Finder needs improvement. I hate windows. But I like being able to drag from one folder and into another easily. I would like to see tabs in the finder but most importantly I want two horizontal panes so that I can put the one I'm dragging into into column view, locate my destination and pull files from the top pane, regardless of what view I have it in. Sure I can open to finder windows and size them to do this, but I want it built in, with the ability to shift the proportions up and down like in mail preview panes.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
From what I gathered through various sources on the net it seems like Intel will keep shipping out Yonah CPUs alongside the newer Merom ones until June next year.

How do you suppose these Yonah chips will be priced? Surely they should be cheaper than the equivalent Merom counterparts no?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Professional developers conference people.

What we'll get at the WWDC:

MacPro
New MacBook Pro
Preview of 10.5
Progress report/performance report of Universal Pro Apps.

Anything from the consumer/iPod lines will be dealt with away from the conference.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Chundles said:
Professional developers conference people.

What we'll get at the WWDC:

MacPro
New MacBook Pro
Preview of 10.5
Progress report/performance report of Universal Pro Apps.

Anything from the consumer/iPod lines will be dealt with away from the conference.

agreed. Personally I'm more excited about the 10.5 preview than anything else. I won't be buying any new hardware from apple for a mighty long time

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think two product lines will be updated at MOST, and quite possibly one (the mac pro). Every keynote people start expecting apple to fulfill their every wish, but this isn't Christmas. It's an expo.

Any updates beyond mac pro and maybe macbook pro will not happen at the expo itself but could be soon.

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
Well apparently this guy on [H]ardForums that's an engineer for Intel has been working on Conroe chips for an 'Apple Product', he's in the dark on what model but I'd be pissed if there was no Quad Mac. I wonder if Apple will offer SLi Capability?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I think we will see new consumer stuff as well a pro stuff. Didn't the iSight come out at a WWDC for example? Steve will use it to release and preview whatever is about.

I have money waiting on a Mac designed to go under my TV...more grunt than a mini but no screen or huge form factor.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
generik said:
Agreed on this, I had that exact same thought earlier today as I was struggling to move some files from a child folder to its parent folder. On Windows XP it would take all of 1 seconds. On Mac OS I have to..

1) Select the files
2) Open new finder window
3) Oh noes, no "Open folder in new window" option, I have to navigate back to the folder I want (first folder's parent!)
4) Drag the files over and drop them

How the hell is it harder to do things the Windows way? Select files, CTRL-X, hit backspace to go to parent, CTRL-V.

I don't get it.

Or you could just:
Switch to column view
Select files
Drag to parent folder
Switch back to column view

Not quite as simple as windows, but easier than your example.

I of course want to be able to:
1) Select files
2) Hit keyboard command for "Move to"
3) Start to type name of folder, have spotlight gave me options with detailed directories, and select the correct one when it appears. Then select Move (to move and remain where I am) or Go (to follow the files to the new directory)

HardLine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2006
What you describe is possible in Vista, and if OS X can do that then props to them.

Like I said, and this thread seems to agree, I'm not going to buy OS X 10.5 unless they have a new finder.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
What I WANT:
Reduced Macbook Pro prices
Airport Express that streams video to a tv
iPhone
Wireless iPod
Leopard Preview

What we'll probably see:
Mac Pro updates
Macbook Pro updates
Leopard Preview

What I GET: I'll only get the Leopard Preview. Oh well, better than nothing

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Dreaming for...
* Updated displays @ a reasonable price.
* Updated Airport Express
* A 23" iMac with beefed specs
* The elusive touch screen iPod

Getting...
* Mac Pro
* Speed Bumps for the line of products
* Xserve w/ Intel
* Leopard Preview

(Nice thread, been waiting for one to pop up)

[+] I'll be a little pissed if they overhaul the MBP and do something crazy.

bradc

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2006
Canader eh
Hmmm, does Finder's lack of File Browsing features bother you guys/girls that much? I mean, it has its faults but it doesn't get to me to the point that I wont buy a more advanced OS (10.5)with new technologies!

I just want better FTP and some crazier animations!

As for WWDC, I just want my Quad Mac! I've been holding off buying the current Quad Mac since March. The waiting is getting to me HUGE hahaha:D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Guess you learn something each day, what's the keyboard shortcut for move to?

Anyhow that is the biggest quirk about finder that annoys me to no end.

TheAnswer said:
Or you could just:
Switch to column view
Select files
Drag to parent folder
Switch back to column view

Not quite as simple as windows, but easier than your example.

I of course want to be able to:
1) Select files
2) Hit keyboard command for "Move to"
3) Start to type name of folder, have spotlight gave me options with detailed directories, and select the correct one when it appears. Then select Move (to move and remain where I am) or Go (to follow the files to the new directory)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
generik said:
Guess you learn something each day, what's the keyboard shortcut for move to?

"Move to..." is my dream feature for 10.5:)...right now I think the easiest way is the column view switch (or just staying in column view).

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
generik said:
Anyhow that is the biggest quirk about finder that annoys me to no end.

There's nothing annoying about it, except the fact that Finder is not very good at multitasking. Ever tried to copy/move hundreds of big files over the network? It almost cripples the whole machine during the process, and if there are slowdowns, the situation is unbearable. Think of copying/moving files straight from CF card that sits on a PCMCIA adapter, place the files on a network drive --- sheesh, it should not take that long, and I should be able to do other stuff while waiting. And otherwise I could, but if the Finder gives a beachball, I'm not going to have any fun at all.

..or copying to iDisk. Why on earth does that have to occasionally freeze the Finder? It shouldn't. I would be very happy about the Finder if they just fixed the performance.

mterlouw

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
I never really had anything against the finder. What I would really like is cpu updates and a price drop on the mini. Even though this is the developer's conference, the timing is good for this with the recent price drops on the Intel chips.

What I want: $499 Core Duo Mac Mini

What we'll get: Steve Jobs in a black turtleneck drinking water.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
mterlouw said:
I never really had anything against the finder. What I would really like is cpu updates and a price drop on the mini. Even though this is the developer's conference, the timing is good for this with the recent price drops on the Intel chips.

What I want: $499 Core Duo Mac Mini
In due time, my friend, in due time. Apple always start at a high price point to cash in on the early adopters and pent up demand. Then they gradually lower the price every time they update the hardware.

Regarding hardware updates, Apple did something totally unprecedented in releasing the MacBooks WITHOUT any fanfare. I expect this to become more of a trend. Expect Woodcrest Mac Pros to be released not at the keynote itself, but through a silent introduction the Tuesday before WWDC (I guess that's next week!). Especially if it's keeping the same old enclosure.

Steve will NEED the whole two hours for demoing Leopard. It WILL be leaps and bounds better than Tiger. It'll be something that totally blindsides Vista and get the techno-journalists buzzing for months til Steve releases it at around MWSF.

The keynote will have room for a recap of the Intel transition and probably one new piece of hardware. Maybe the Xserve to mark the END of the transition or a new enclosure for the MBP.

iMacs and Mac Minis will probably get an updatge around the same time, but via silent releases. MacBooks are selling like hotcakes; no need for a revision for a while.

ipods and the ITMS will get an update soon after, but definitely not during WWDC. Apple likes to spread things out a bit. Keep the momentum going in the Fall. Remember: we still have MW-France (consumer stuff) and Seybold (pro stuff) coming up.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The really big question here is not about Leopard or Intel Macs but...

Sneakers or Socks & Sandals?

We've seen both, which one will it be? By the way, socks + sandals = daggy.

Paulhammer

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2006
bradc said:
Well apparently this guy on [H]ardForums that's an engineer for Intel has been working on Conroe chips for an 'Apple Product', he's in the dark on what model but I'd be pissed if there was no Quad Mac. I wonder if Apple will offer SLi Capability?
This, if true, could very possibly be for a potential Conroe iMac... and for anyone who says that it would no longer be silent - they stuck a G5 in the same darn enclosure, and it was quiet as a mouse. And barring the sun's surface, nothing is hotter than a G5.

I Want:
New Macbook Pros (W/ merom, new case, and user upgradable RAM)
Macbook with merom :rolleyes:
Mac DVR/Media center thingy
New Finder!

What We'll Maybe See:
Mac Pro (with benchmarks showing that the lowest end Mac Pro outpaces the Quad G5 8 to 1 or something ridiculous)
MBP merom w/ slight case modification (personally i'd like to see a darker aluminum color, the mag latch, and some more structural rigidity)
Leopard

But in all honesty, who the heck knows? We're guaranteed to be shocked beyond belief by something. Anybody know if it's being broadcast on the apple site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.