Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 10, 2003, 08:53 PM   #1
zdank420
macrumors newbie

ATA133 drive connected to ATA100 interface?

So I get this new dual 1.4 finally and I go to install an ATA133 hard disk only to discover the fastest interface on the motherboard is ATA100. It seems to work alright anyway, but how much performance would be gained by purchasing a seperate PCI ATA adapter? I got the 2nd drive in an attempt to avoid frame droppage when capturing DV.
zdank420 is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:06 PM   #2
yzedf
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yzedf
~25% at max throughput. questionable whether the bus on the Mac can keep up.

i would say, don't worry about it.
yzedf is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:11 PM   #3
hugemullens
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it. Its pretty well documented that the hard drive itself is the bottle neck in most systems, not the interface. Most 7200 rpm hard drives cannot fully use ATA66, ATA100 is more than enough at the current time. I;d wait a while and look maybe at serial ATA when that becomes a standard.
hugemullens is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:30 PM   #4
jaguarx
macrumors regular

Or if you really need the speed grab a 15000/10000rpm SCSI drive as a capture cache of sorts, only needs to be as big as your captures.

SATA has some signifigant advantages, speed is around ATA150, for your purposes it's not what you need, the bottleneck is the drive.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:34 PM   #5
zer0army
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by hugemullens
I;d wait a while and look maybe at serial ATA when that becomes a standard.
I have been hearing about this. Do you think we might see it in the next powermacs ?
zer0army is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Re: ATA133 drive connected to ATA100 interface?

Quote:
Originally posted by zdank420
but how much performance would be gained by purchasing a seperate PCI ATA adapter?
O, zilch, nada.

ATA drives peak at about 60MB/sec, and average 35-50MB/sec, and therefore do not utilize even ATA66 to the fullest.

In about 3 years, when the drives catch up to today's busses, get a host card.

In the meantime, real speed comes from SCSI RAID, which can saturate a PCI bus at 215MB/sec.

If you NEED the fastest, get yourself 7-8 Seagate 15k Cheetahs, and run them on a pair of U320 SCSI cards.

Then PCI architecture will be your bottleneck.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:26 PM   #7
jaguarx
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you NEED the fastest, get yourself 7-8 Seagate 15k Cheetahs, and run them on a pair of U320 SCSI cards.
Man you'd have to have money flowing out of every pore or be working for a prety hefty DV organisation to get a setup THAT big.
RAID mirrored 15K U320 SCSI........

May as well buy a 2G RAM drive and be done with it.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:46 PM   #8
hugemullens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by zer0army
I have been hearing about this. Do you think we might see it in the next powermacs ?
I really hope so. Most PC motherboards are shipping with serial ATA built in and the Hard Drive Manufacturers are finially starting to ship serial ATA Drives. I dont think apple will ship serial ATA drives, but i hope they ship serial ATA support.
hugemullens is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:47 PM   #9
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguarx
Man you'd have to have money flowing out of every pore or be working for a prety hefty DV organisation to get a setup THAT big.
RAID mirrored 15K U320 SCSI........

May as well buy a 2G RAM drive and be done with it.
Striped, not mirrored, and there are loadsa people who buy 'em.

If you have to work with huge captures, its the only way to gaurantee no lost frames.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:03 PM   #10
zdank420
macrumors newbie

OK... so no new PCI adapter necessary with my new 7200 RPM ATA 133 drive w/ 8 MB cache... if the drive can't keep up with ATA100 why bother putting an ATA133 interface on it? Also, would it be beneficial to at least use the 2nd integrated ATA controller (ATA66) in this scenario? Or should I just stick with both drives on the ATA100?

p.s.
thx for all the info, believe it or not Apple tech support actually told me they only deal with "software" and had no clue what i was talking about... this after waiting on hold for like 30 minutes...

p.p.s.
this dual 1.4 flies! wooo hoooo i love it... some of you can shove that illusive IBM 970 up your boooooty.
zdank420 is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:17 PM   #11
Funkatation
macrumors regular

with just 2 drives, hook each one up to the separate bus. you'll get more performance. id stick the fastest drive on the ata 100 though.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:23 PM   #12
DavidFDM
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to DavidFDM
I have a ATA-133 card in my computer with a 7200 ATA-133 80GB drive connected to it. It has always felt faster. I am a graphics guy so I am always copying 100's of megs when designs are finished. Probably just an illusion if you guys are right . . .

Just my 2 cents,

David
DavidFDM is offline   0
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:56 PM   #13
jaguarx
macrumors regular

Nispy i meant striped...my bad. I prefer RAID5 myself but obviously this a specific purpose. For top end DV stuff, yea i agree entirely, i've worked selling US$100,000+ DV systems before, it's fun hardware to work with =)
But for most people's needs, even most small places doing stuff like editing wedding vids, it's well over the top. The SCSI storage only needs to be as big as your capture.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:15 AM   #14
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguarx
The SCSI storage only needs to be as big as your capture.
And fast enough!!!!!!
Nipsy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers