Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Ten-year-old Apple Newton beats latest Windows UMPC

Category: Reviews
Link: Ten-year-old Apple Newton beats latest Windows UMPC
Description:: We pitted the Apple Newton Messagepad against the latest Samsung Q1 ultra-mobile PC (Origami project), and -- despite being a decade old -- the Newton won.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
mvc
macrumors 6502a

Rematch!

Come back in 12 months when the UMPC has decent battery life and has shrunk even more. The Newton will look pretty old by then.

If only Apple had continued developing this market segment.

Right product, wrong time...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Yvan256
macrumors 601

All I need is my Nintendo DS Lite with that Opera browser cart. Can't wait for the north american release though...
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

an apple ultra portable or
an apple ultra PDA

i'll take either. please??

yeah i have a 12" powerbook... but i want something small to go with me whever i go, rather than a pad of paper.
PlaceofDis is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:10 PM   #5
jaxstate
Banned

If this isn't a joke, then they must be on some serious drugs, hard and heavy.
jaxstate is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:13 PM   #6
Mord
macrumors G4

personally i'd still take the newton.
Mord is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc
Come back in 12 months when the UMPC has decent battery life and has shrunk even more. The Newton will look pretty old by then.

If only Apple had continued developing this market segment.

Right product, wrong time...
I cannot believe it won, and that Apple dropped it. A 162Mhz processor also wasn't bad for 1997...

It looks pretty damn good for 1997 tech, hopefully Apple will release another.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:25 PM   #8
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc
...If only Apple had continued developing this market segment...
Just because they aren't on sale now does not mean that the Newton is completely dead. Apple has been running OS X on Intel from the beginning without everyone knowing, how do we know that somewhere within the bowels of #1 Infinite Loop there's not a team of Engineers and programmers resurrecting and refining the Newton to take on the Origami PCs head on?

Of course I know I'm wrong but it would be a nice thought....
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:35 PM   #9
katie ta achoo
macrumors 601
Blogger

I thought CNet was unapologetically biased against Apple?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:36 PM   #10
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
an apple ultra portable or
an apple ultra PDA

i'll take either. please??

yeah i have a 12" powerbook... but i want something small to go with me whever i go, rather than a pad of paper.

Since the 2G video iPod will have broadband wireless, touchscreen, reasonbable processor, OS virtualizationS lite, and a "full computer experience", it will be trivial for it to:

Be a mac
Be an iPod
Be a VoiP/cell v/d phone
Be a portable Tivo
Be a Newton on steroids
Be a UMPC on steroids
Be a remote server window
Be a CPU which is not a Be

Rocketman
Rocketman is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:46 PM   #11
mvc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie ta achoo

It's called linkbaiting. And it's a very cynical form of journalism.

CNet runs a constant line of Apple related articles, some 'pro' but most mainly 'con' to produce headlines that aggregating sites like digg and slashdot will slavishly link to and drive traffic for CNet's advertisers.

'Con' articles usually get the best traffic as they know Mac zealots can't resist taking the flamebait and PC zealots love to see the Mac go down, so it's a win-win. Dvorak uses the same business model.

Ask yourself why this CNet article had so many pages - it's simply to drive more page views to advertising.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:47 PM   #12
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman
Just because they aren't on sale now does not mean that the Newton is completely dead. Apple has been running OS X on Intel from the beginning without everyone knowing, how do we know that somewhere within the bowels of #1 Infinite Loop there's not a team of Engineers and programmers resurrecting and refining the Newton to take on the Origami PCs head on?

Of course I know I'm wrong but it would be a nice thought....
Oh they are doing it. I mean at infinite loop they do everything you wouldn't dream off.... put G5s into powerbooks... Intel CPUs into Macs.... run windows on a mac..... make two button mouses..... so the question isn't whether they are doing but if it will ever hit the light of day, they call it the infinite loop for a reason, ideas just keep on going around and around.
Chef Medeski is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:48 PM   #13
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Sometimes they get confused and say something nice, but this will be quickly rectified with an article about how iPods can make puppies explode, or some other nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc
It's called linkbaiting. And it's a very cynical form of journalism...Ask yourself why this CNet article had so many pages - it's simply to dive more page views to advertising.
I feel used.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:50 PM   #14
mvc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu
Sometimes they get confused and say something nice, but this will be quickly rectified with an article about how iPods can make puppies explode, or some other nonsense.

I feel used.
It's the new SPAM! ;-)
Well, actually, its not new, its just the online version of Tabloid journalism.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:08 AM   #15
Bad Beaver
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxstate
If this isn't a joke, then they must be on some serious drugs, hard and heavy.
[] You own a Newton
Bad Beaver is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:19 AM   #16
Xander562
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Xander562
arent these the same people that said the iPod was inferior to some other music player?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:22 AM   #17
katie ta achoo
macrumors 601
Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc
It's called linkbaiting. And it's a very cynical form of journalism
Wow, that's tricky!

I hold CNet in even lower esteem than I did before, now.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:45 AM   #18
severedfingers
macrumors newbie

Not linkbaiting! There are no ads on the article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvc
It's called linkbaiting. And it's a very cynical form of journalism.

CNet runs a constant line of Apple related articles... digg and slashdot will slavishly link to and drive traffic for CNet's advertisers.
Linkbating is an interesting theory, and no doubt it does happen. But this CNET article doesn't have any adverts on it! This slightly undermines your accusations. I'm all for exposing the people who linkbait, but CNET aren't. Look again if you're unsure. Where are the ads? I see a banner telling you about other parts of the CNET site, but I don't see any ads...
severedfingers is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:47 AM   #19
mvc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by severedfingers
Linkbating is an interesting theory, and no doubt it does happen. But this CNET article doesn't have any adverts on it! This slightly undermines your accusations. I'm all for exposing the people who linkbait, but CNET aren't. Look again if you're unsure. Where are the ads? I see a banner telling you about other parts of the CNET site, but I don't see any ads...
The exception proves the rule, usually there will be ads on multipage articles like this. This is a very typical pricatice. Just surf a little with your eyes wider open ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:37 AM   #20
Sesshi
Banned

I'd agree. Windows Tablet Edition is a waste of time and although it incorporates some advanced features it's usability is in the crapper compared to Newton. I had such high hopes for my Toshiba but in the end it proved to be more of a hindrance than an advantage. I see some people using Tablet PC's at meetings and I can only salute their perseverance and geekosity. A pen and paper works a whole lot better than Tablet PC.
Sesshi is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:30 AM   #21
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's C|Net.com, this is C|Net.co.uk, may as well be a different organization. The British journalists usually aren't as dim-witted as their yank brethren, and their opinions tent to be a little more down to earth. For a good reference point, compare Macworld.co.uk to Macworld.com articles.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:36 AM   #22
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

This was pretty entertaining, although I did mostly just skim it. I do have to say though that if the UMPC transcriber is like the one in WM5, I am not so overly impressed...I don't do handwriting recognition much at all on my Axim x51v because it just isn't reliable. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying it and using it for the purpose I bought it for (on the go web access via WiFi). But yeah, I don't like the handwriting rec that much.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:02 AM   #23
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I think someone has too much time at Cnet..
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:19 AM   #24
Mal
macrumors 603

It's comparisons like this that may signal Apple that it's time to release their long-hidden Newton 2 project. Like has been mentioned, it's a fairly sure bet that they had at least a small team keeping the project active at least in conceptual design. This does seem to be the right time to do it, just as all these Windows-based UMPC's are hitting the market, Apple comes and deals them the knockout blow right from the start.

All they have to do is throw in the best technologies (not necessarily the most), give it a full-color Newton OS, updated only for speed and visuals, and sell it at the same price or $100 less than the Q1 (which, as mentioned, is hideously overpriced). Then we'll see the true knock-out punch.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:11 AM   #25
mozmac
macrumors 6502

After reading the article, it made me want to throw down some money to get a Newton. I just can't find a practical place for it in my life other than being a toy. If I had a 14-year-old son, I'd buy one, play with it for a bit, and then give it to him. He would think it was so cool to have something like that just for him. I know I loved to play with any little gadget I could get my hands on, especially if we were on a long road trip. I'd plug all sorts of useless information into the calendar or something. "7:15pm: Stop at gas station." "10:30pm: Arrive at Grandma's." "7:30am: Wake up and watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and then Captain N while eating Lucky Charms."

Talk to me in 15 years when I have that 14-year-old son and ask him if I've bought a Newton for him yet.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion