Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft sees no immediate return on Zune player

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft sees no immediate return on Zune player
Description:: MS expects a positive return only in 3-5 years.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

So by 2011 we'll really see the fruits of this venture... doesn't give much time for Apple to respond then.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

IOW, they plan of deluging the MP3 market with below-cost players. I think this is against the law.
spicyapple is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:23 PM   #4
zap2
macrumors 604

What i think it means, it they will take the idea of xBox , and xBox 360 and lose moeny but offer people strong hardware. Which might be Apple sell 30Gb for 299, MS will sell a 30Gb Zune for 199, which put Apple is a bad spot if MS does this

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyapple
IOW, they plan of deluging the MP3 market with below-cost players. I think this is against the law.
I hope so!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyapple
So does Creative, they just happen to be more expensive than iPod's too
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:33 PM   #6
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
So by 2011 we'll really see the fruits of this venture... doesn't give much time for Apple to respond then.
Agreed. I think Ive and Jobs will be struggling.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
I only see zune taking off if it bills itself more as a media player and hits the next wave at the right time. The mp3 player market is going to level off in the next few years and more people will be wanting smartphones with mp3, media players and ultra tablets, all of which that could be the next big thing.

MP3 should end up in a similar vain to CD players with bigger players like Apple still being the main sellers, but having a smaller slice of the pie, say 20%.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:54 PM   #8
jaxstate
Banned

I agree 100%. I think smartphones are the next big thing. A all in one device that does every thing good. People use to be put off by the all in one devcie because they didn't really do any one thing well, but now the technology has caught up. The only thing (gadget) I like more than my smartphone is my MBP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hill4
I only see zune taking off if it bills itself more as a media player and hits the next wave at the right time. The mp3 player market is going to level off in the next few years and more people will be wanting smartphones with mp3, media players and ultra tablets, all of which that could be the next big thing.

MP3 should end up in a similar vain to CD players with bigger players like Apple still being the main sellers, but having a smaller slice of the pie, say 20%.
jaxstate is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:34 PM   #9
jericho53
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxstate
I agree 100%. I think smartphones are the next big thing. A all in one device that does every thing good. People use to be put off by the all in one devcie because they didn't really do any one thing well, but now the technology has caught up. The only thing (gadget) I like more than my smartphone is my MBP.
I agree as well. The smartphone is the wave of the future. Hopefully Apple will get in that game with something better than the rokr
1G iPod Nano 1GB
2G iPod Shuffle 1GB
1G iPhone 4GB
jericho53 is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:36 PM   #10
Mac Rules
macrumors 6502

Just think, ina couple of years, maybe Apple will create a smartphone which includes some sort of 30/40Gb micro-drive, and a mobileOSX.....Oh dreaming.....dreaming....

Cheers
Mac Rules is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:31 PM   #11
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Which is to be expected. None of Microsoft's initial offerings ever impresses. It's like a slow spreading virus. It takes time to incubate and unless the patient, read: Apple, recognizes the symptoms early they get buggered by it.
Mac fans like to go meh at Microsoft. A small reminder. This is the company that even with all the lawsuits, legal fees, court fines and such still has BILLIONS in the bank and who's recent quarterly earnings was in the realm of something like 11.blah BILLION. Small nations have less. People need to keep one and only one thing in mind. Microsoft has the resources to put out a decade of screw-ups and still have cash left in the bank. They are bleeding money but are also earning money as well. It takes time but they either learn from their mistakes or copy someone else's idea. It only takes one device in a dozen that is embraced by the average consumer to take on Apple. Will it happen with V1.0 of Zune....My 8 ball says all signs point to not a chance in [bleep.] hell

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:35 PM   #12
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
Quote:
The problem with all in ones is not that they don't do anything really well, but that each individual technology advances at its' own rate. Phone technology will develope at a rate far different then PDA technology and at a different rate then digital music technology. Smart buyers know this, for example in the usefull time span of my Sony PDA, I have gone from a hulking 2G iPod to a Nano and from a hulking Nokia to a Razr and yet there doesn't seem to be much imperative new PDA technology from MS or Palm. All in ones are the mutts of technology.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:38 PM   #13
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:

Yes. I can listen along to my iTunes Smartphone for a few hours in the day then get a couple critical calls and have it die on me half way through the day. Thanks but no. In concept I like an all in one device but I want a phone because I use it to communicate all day long. I want an iPod because I want to listen to music as I drive around town. I don't care about a camera and actively avoid it because I'm not allowed to carry a camera in some places I service. I don't want PDA functionality in my phone because I like e-books and dinky screens don't do e-book justice. That and a larger screen is conducive for entering data.

In short I carry 3 devices on my. My phone that is used all day long, my iPod that is used all week long, and my iPaq 4700 that is used all week long as well. You can have your Smartphone. More power too you. I want my productivity tools to stay. . .well productive.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:50 AM   #14
mlrproducts
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not all the tech has caught up. One of the most important, BATTERY tech, has not.

Mark my words, the popularity of all-in-one mobile devices will not skyrocket until a drastic change in battery tech becomes available and affordable to the masses. Hell I'd rather have a regular freaking cell phone that has a battery life that will last a week with me talking on it, than any dang dinky worthless 5mp camera built in using a 1/32" CMOS sensor covered by a plastic lens with prints on it.

Heck I'm happy with my x475 after dumping the RAZR, SLVR, and several SEs.
mlrproducts is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:03 AM   #15
Tinhead
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict

Yes. I can listen along to my iTunes Smartphone for a few hours in the day then get a couple critical calls and have it die on me half way through the day. Thanks but no. In concept I like an all in one device but I want a phone because I use it to communicate all day long. I want an iPod because I want to listen to music as I drive around town. I don't care about a camera and actively avoid it because I'm not allowed to carry a camera in some places I service. I don't want PDA functionality in my phone because I like e-books and dinky screens don't do e-book justice. That and a larger screen is conducive for entering data.

In short I carry 3 devices on my. My phone that is used all day long, my iPod that is used all week long, and my iPaq 4700 that is used all week long as well. You can have your Smartphone. More power too you. I want my productivity tools to stay. . .well productive.

Couldn't agree more.

People seem to forget that all mobile devices face the problem of being too small and too big at the same time. The iPod's physical size is the absolute maximum that still fits in your pocket, yet the screen size is still far too small for serious ebook reading or data management. If the UI is moved to inside the screen like some of the recent iPod rumors suggest, one might be able to gain a maximum screen size of, say, 5 inches diagonal. Still not all that huge, and usability will suffer no matter how wonderful the virtual controls are.

Phones face even bigger problems, since they have a dozen keys more than a portable music player. There have been experiments with keyless phones (like the lipstick-like Nokia one), and they have largely not been successful as far as I have understood (correct me if I'm wrong).

The real reason phones are moving into smart phone territory is not because they are insanely great (pun intended), but because phones have nowhere else to go: they already do what they were designed to do rather well (or, at least, used to before all the extra features made them slow, unresponsive, and confusing).

Our hands won't get smaller, and our vision won't get sharper. There are clear physical restrictions, and mobile devices that try to cram everything into one neat package fail *usability* even if they are technically possible to make. I'm sure the general public will accept all this and keep buying new gadgets because of buzzwords, but on the other hand, the iPod's success should prove that, sometimes, less is indeed more.
Tinhead is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:25 AM   #16
gh0sted
macrumors newbie

In 3-5 years the mp3 market wont be the same and may be dead to newer media devices. Also losing money on the Zune wont be the same as losing cash on the XBox. With the XBox they can at least hope to make a decent amount of money back on the games, however the profit margin for online music downloads is next to nothing.

But really, if they expect to do a pay per month service... they're dead in the water.
gh0sted is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:37 AM   #17
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Reuters should also report that I see no gradual return on it either.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:43 AM   #18
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericho53
I agree as well. The smartphone is the wave of the future. Hopefully Apple will get in that game with something better than the rokr
Microsoft have to overturn Nokia ( and Symbian ) first. Symbian is still going very strong and consistently outsells PocketPC / windows mobile - not only outsells, but its growth is far larger.

Anyway, don't discount microsoft as a threat to the iPod, they have plenty of money to throw at it. This isn't a short term thing, its long term - something microsoft will probably win, and apple lose out ; I'm afraid. microsoft can burn money far longer than Apple can.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion