Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I usually switch all my computers off during the night, except previous Windows boxes which I used as servers. These days the Macbook Pro is to all intents and purposes my main machine and sometimes, I can leave it doing stuff overnight. It's hooked up to a 23" ACD and a USB mouse/keyboard, and external drives both USB and Firewire.

I used to have it in a lid-open configuration for a dual monitor setup, but I realised I don't like looking at two dissimilar screens for a dual-monitor system so I now use it lid-closed.

If I'm around and I leave it for an hour or so, I can come back and hit the spacebar, whatever and it will wake up. If I leave it overnight it fails to wake up. I can press keys, tweak mice, open and shut the case etc but nothing works and I can only shut it down by holding down the power button.

Could someone tell me the root cause of this and how I can solve it?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is the sleep light pulsing after you've left it overnight? Does it make any sort of noises when you press other keys or does it give any response at all? Are you doing intensive work with it overnight? Is it plugged in to the power adaptor? :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Plugged in, showing a steady bright light as though it's normally working. No key or mouse response.

Intensive work yes. Number and disk crunching.

There is a huge fan behind the iCurve and the system is always cool to the touch.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
As I said it's connected to the ACD. The screen doesn't wake up either. There is absolutely no keyboard response on the machine itself or the USB keyboard.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If it were a PowerBook I'd say do a PMU reset. Does the MacBook Pro have one of those? :confused:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
dynamicv said:
If it were a PowerBook I'd say do a PMU reset. Does the MacBook Pro have one of those? :confused:
Yes.

Power down the computer, unplug the computer, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, plug in computer, re-insert battery, turn computer on.

Link

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay. Maybe try using the same setup tonight, but this time don't have the ACD plugged in. I'm just wondering if it's a power issue with the graphics card. Definitely try the PMU reset too, though. :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Hahaha... straight after I did that, I got a Kernel Panic the next time I booted it up and tried to access a network drive. I'll leave it running tonight and see how it goes.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
EricNau said:
Power down the computer, unplug the computer, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, plug in computer, re-insert battery, turn computer on.
Exactly like a PowerBook then. Thanks :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If a PMU reset is giving you a kernel panic and it's behaving strangely after extended periods in clamshell mode, I'd maybe take it back to Apple. They may need to replace the power supply. :eek:

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
mad jew said:
If a PMU reset is giving you a kernel panic and it's behaving strangely after extended periods in clamshell mode, I'd maybe take it back to Apple. They may need to replace the power supply. :eek:

It won't be a surprise. So far since I decided to switch wholesale I've bought 3 iMacs for use elsewhere, the Macbook Pro 17" as my main machine and a Macbook - as well as it's replacement since they told me it would be turned around in a week, and that's a ******* joke when you've paid more than you would Sony or Dell for (next business day) aftercare.

I bought an Intel Mini before I fully switched and it's the only fault-less Mac I've had up to now. The Macbook totally kaputted (it still has not arrived so it is just as well that I bought a spare) as did two of the iMacs, the third arrived DOA and was replaced, and the MBP has had two bad bricks in a go (just as well I bought two spares - I hope the remaining one doesn't go as I still have not received any replacement bricks from Apple). My ACD's haven't failed and I have to thank the lord for small mercies.

What a great way to lose customers. If I have any more failures I may have to call it quits for Apple while I'm only £15,000 down :rolleyes:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That is either incredibly bad luck or there's something seriously wrong with Apple's build quality at the moment. I've only bought three Macs new, an iMac DV400, my PowerBook G4 and my 3rd Gen iMac G5 and every single one of them has worked perfectly since the day I bought them. I bought another PowerBook G4 for my Company Secretary and she's never had a problem either.

I think I'll be holding off on buying an Intel machine for a while :(

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
dynamicv said:
That is either incredibly bad luck or there's something seriously wrong with Apple's build quality at the moment. I've only bought three Macs new, an iMac DV400, my PowerBook G4 and my 3rd Gen iMac G5 and every single one of them has worked perfectly since the day I bought them. I bought another PowerBook G4 for my Company Secretary and she's never had a problem either.

I think I'll be holding off on buying an Intel machine for a while :(

Do you think maybe Apple's working a little too fast on the intel transition? Personally I never thought they would survive with their customers if they went too quick, but we shall see what happens after the cycle ends, with the shipment of leopard to seal the deal (universal, I'm thinking).

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I'm absolutely certain this isn't the majority of Apple user experiences (otherwise they wouldn't be in business) but it is extremely annoying. As I was saying in another thread I've had about the same number of failures with VAIO's over a 6-year range as I've had with Apples in 4 months!

I wonder if it's not the bricks dying by themselves but rather if it's the MBP that's killing them in some way?

JosiahPB

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Grinnell
My MacBook won't wake up after closing the lid for 20 minuts and up. I tried the PMU reset and it didn't work. Now it takes about 5 times of forcing the power-off and on until it starts. I'm taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Power management seems to be one of the more common problems affecting Intel Mac laptops at the moment. It sucks to get a gremlin machine but in some cases, a simple battery replacement has fixed the problem. I'm not sure if that'll work here, but tell us what Apple says/does all the same. Good luck. :)

Drum

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Southampton, UK
I had the same thing with my Powerbook G4: it would go into a coma after putting itself into auto-sleep. The only way to resume was to press the power button, i.e restart. In the end I had to disable auto sleep.

What I don't understand is that if I put it to sleep by closing the lid, there's never a problem.

I also have an iMac G4 that refuses to auto sleep, no matter what I do to the settings.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Drum said:
I also have an iMac G4 that refuses to auto sleep, no matter what I do to the settings.

Happens with my iMac G5 every now and then too. A system update or rerunning a combo update always fixes it for a while though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.