Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
lkhu34bh08
macrumors newbie

How do you convert MP4 to MP3/AAC?!

I just want to take a couple things from a music DVD (Coldplay Live 2003) and convert them into MP3 or AAC, whatever. I can't find anything! I got the the video on my iPod using Handbrake, but I don't know how to convert it into audio.

Also, if such an application exsists and I am able to convert the MP4 to MP3/AAC, how would i edit it so to cut it into tracks (since Handbrake glops everything into one long video)?

Thanks.
lkhu34bh08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:02 PM   #2
killuminati
macrumors 68020

You could probably take the files you ripped with Handbrake and convert them using quicktime.

The easiest thing to do might be to get the torrent of the Live 2003 CD and just download that. You already own it anyway so I wouldn't be too concerned morally about that. That's what I did because I was too lazy to figure out how to convert it.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:08 PM   #3
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Yes, just use quicktime and export the sound to AIFF and then cut the tracks in garageband.
chasemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Counterfit
macrumors 601

I have yet to find a way to get an audio track out of a video file as a straight MP3/AAC file, instead of a single audio track inside of a MOV with QT Pro.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

I found that out by accident when I was trying to back up some videos I had ripped - I'd left the preferences to burn an Audio CD rather than a data one and it converted all the videos to audio-only aiff which could be ripped back into iTunes. Just going to check if you can do it without the CD.

It looks like it's possible, I set the importing preferences to AIFF and I was able to select "convert to aiff" from the contextual menu on a video. I don't have any videos that aren't protected so I couldn't do the conversion but it looks like it would work. Doesn't work on video podcasts though.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Porco
macrumors 68000

FFmepegX (download page: read about installing first) will do movie to audio conversion, that might be just what you all need. Once installed, pick 'movie audio to mp3' from the pre-set list and then tweak the settings as desired in the audio tab.
Porco is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod