Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Hockey Nut
macrumors member

Which 1.25 DP should I buy?

I'm ready to move up from my very slow and outdated imac G3 running 9.2. I've decided to get a 1.25 DP Powermac, but can't decide which is the better deal.
The OS 9 model is $500 more, but comes with an extra 256 mg of ram, 40gig bigger hard drive and a superdrive. The way I figure it, that comes to about $350 of extras. It also has 2 mg of L3 cache vs 1mg on the newer model. Is the L3 cache that big of a deal?
I'll be using it mainly for digital photography and iDVD.

Thanks
Hockey Nut is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:44 PM   #2
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040

tough call, you already have a machien that runs os 9 so I assume all the OS9 things u might need can be done by the iMac. I would customize the new 1.25 and enjoy.
Kwyjibo is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:08 PM   #3
job
macrumors 68040

What OS would you run most of your day-to-day apps in?

If cost is a concern there is a way to boot into 9 on the newer towers. You'll have to search the forums for that though.

L3 makes a difference in certain tasks like sound editing etc. I'm not sure of the effect it would have on digital photos or DVD burning.

Also, you could probably pick up a new 1.25Ghz machine (with 1MB L3 cache) at Macmall or Macwearhouse and get 256 or 512 MB RAM for a neligible install cost (i.e. $40). But since you are using iDVD I assume that you need the Superdrive. I also assume you are quoting directly from the Apple online store, correct?
job is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Hockey Nut
macrumors member

Yes, I did the comparison from the Apple store. Since ram is so cheap, I thought I would buy it after market and install it myself. Getting it free from the online stores seems like a crapshoot with all of the problems I've heard about. Also, after the $40 installation fee, it's not that great of a savings.

I'm going to use OSX on the new machine almost exclusively. My camera and printer are both Canon and they have been good about updating to OSX.

Thanks for the input.
Hockey Nut is offline   0
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:58 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman
What OS would you run most of your day-to-day apps in?

If cost is a concern there is a way to boot into 9 on the newer towers. You'll have to search the forums for that though.

L3 makes a difference in certain tasks like sound editing etc. I'm not sure of the effect it would have on digital photos or DVD burning.

Also, you could probably pick up a new 1.25Ghz machine (with 1MB L3 cache) at Macmall or Macwearhouse and get 256 or 512 MB RAM for a neligible install cost (i.e. $40). But since you are using iDVD I assume that you need the Superdrive. I also assume you are quoting directly from the Apple online store, correct?
are you sure about os 9 booting on the new powermacs. if it was that thread about the whole tinkertool thing and then copy a system folder from a cd, thats wrong. i already tried it and it didnt work. i honestly feel apple changed some hardware which makes it impossible to boot into os 9.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:05 AM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Re: Which 1.25 DP should I buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hockey Nut
I'm ready to move up from my very slow and outdated imac G3 running 9.2. I've decided to get a 1.25 DP Powermac, but can't decide which is the better deal.
The OS 9 model is $500 more, but comes with an extra 256 mg of ram, 40gig bigger hard drive and a superdrive. The way I figure it, that comes to about $350 of extras. It also has 2 mg of L3 cache vs 1mg on the newer model. Is the L3 cache that big of a deal?
I'll be using it mainly for digital photography and iDVD.

Thanks
GOing with the larger L3 cache will speed things up, especially if you play with large images.

Getting a 512MB memory DIMM is a good idea since that allows you to go to maximum memory without replacing an existing DIMM.

As forthe price difference, if you don't need OS 9 support, the DP1.41 is only $300 difference for similarly configured computers and might last you lenough longer that the $300 difference is worth it.

Upgrading to a larger single harddrive and 512MB on the DIMM that comes with the machine are both worthwhile things no matter which speed system you get. Yes, third party add-ons are less expensive, however they become more expensive when you're removing hardware to make room for them.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:12 AM   #7
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
The new 1.25 that boots Mac OS X only will run your Mac OS 9 apps in classic mode faster that your old machine.
bbarnhart is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers