Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
uhm.

wow.

i personally would have no interest in it - i'm not much of a collector of things.. if i want an iPod, i want a new one with a big drive - not one that's 3 times as much just because it's a "relic" (hardly a good word for it, even).

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Just like the above poster I'm not a collector. But I can imagine it being worth a lot, who could predict it being so popular, and who would buy one and not open it.
It's worth what a fool pays for it....
I would rather buy a macbook for that amount of money though :)

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Haha, read my sig. I guess I should not have opened the box 4,5 years ago.:D

My 1st generation iPod still has 5-6 hours battery life and is still very useful. I have no need to carry more than 5gb of music in my pocket and do not care about watching videos on such a small screen. No need to upgrade it anytime soon!

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
No. I just don't have any nostalgia for electronic gadgets. Paying a grand for an old unused iPod? It better be made of gold or something.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
My 10Gb iPod is still going strong. i get about 5 hours too. I want a new one soon though as its a bit chunky for carrying around. that and weighs 3 times more than the new ones.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
chaosbunny said:
Haha, read my sig. I guess I should not have opened the box 4,5 years ago.:D

My 1st generation iPod still has 5-6 hours battery life and is still very useful. I have no need to carry more than 5gb of music in my pocket and do not care about watching videos on such a small screen. No need to upgrade it anytime soon!
Nice...I just scored an original ipod the other day. Can't wait to get it....and no I didnt pay anywhere near that ridiculous amount of money!

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Willis said:
My 10Gb iPod is still going strong. i get about 5 hours too. I want a new one soon though as its a bit chunky for carrying around. that and weighs 3 times more than the new ones.
Nice...you should sell it to me:D

I'm guessing its a second gen.

L

Lau

It would be funny if it didn't work when someone finally opens it...:p

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Lau said:
It would be funny if it didn't work when someone finally opens it...:p

turns out some electronic eating termite got in through the corner unnoticed and slowly devoured the device

L

Lau

SuperCompu2 said:
turns out some electronic eating termite got in through the corner unnoticed and slowly devoured the device

Totally! The box is full of a little pile of dust and chewed components and a huge super-insect. :p

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Lau said:
Totally! The box is full of a little pile of dust and chewed components and a huge super-insect. :p
Haha yes, things like that would haunt me to no end...until I caved and opened the darn thing...to lose about 700$ in value apparently:rolleyes:

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
G5Unit said:
Wow. I didn't even know if there were any survivers. I have a 1st gen almost broken but still works good.
Nice...I wish they were worth that much.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
is that a second Gen? I cant remember exactly when apple started using Myriad on the iPod instead of good old Garamond

(my 1st gen still works, need a new battery for it though, only gives me an our or two at the most)

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
That guy is so clever for putting that away in a safe place... it makes me want to buy another MacBook and leave it hidden for a few years...

He's made a mint on that and well done I say, he chose the item well that would make cash. I reckon if you bought a modern day iPod and kept it for 4 years it wouldn't make that much...

L

Lau

iHotu said:
Did Apple use shrink wrap? IIRC they used the little round tape pieces to seal boxes.

Yeah, I thought that too. And if you knew someone at any shop that has a shrink wrapping machine, you could just get an open, but unused iPod resealed. Not that I think there's much difference between that and a never opened one, but I presume that's what they bid so much for.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Lau said:
Yeah, I thought that too. And if you knew someone at any shop that has a shrink wrapping machine, you could just get an open, but unused iPod resealed. Not that I think there's much difference between that and a never opened one, but I presume that's what they bid so much for.

It looks like it has been resealed, mind you, it could just be 4 year old plastic wrap.

It's a 1st Gen, but released along with the 10GB model. The original 1st Gen didn't show the capacity and they used the Garamond font on the box and engraved on the back of the iPod.

dualsyste

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
The funny thing is the old cat in the box with poison that releases on opening (anyone that has read a bit on how Quantum computing will know what I'm talking about).

He bought it clearly as a collectors item.

What if its empty.

What if the iPod doesn't even work.

Haha. He can't open it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.