Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
The iMac in question is a 17" 800MHz G4 iMac.

I moved it out of the way to do some photography of a collection of Apple laptops. I've moved it back and plugged everything back in, and it won't turn on. No lights, no noises, just dead.

I tried taking all other cables out of it, still no go.
I tried plugging it into another power point, still no go.

I can't try it with another power cable, because I dont know anyone who has one.

It was working fine before I turned it off and moved it.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
mad jew said:
Could the household fuse for these powerpoints have blown? Can you think of any power surges or brown outs that may have caused this? :)
no, everything else in the house is fine. No blown fuses, no brownouts...

My first thought is it must be something in the power unit. I took apart a G3 iMac which didnt work, and i found a fuse. if i had known it was there, i probably could have resurected it, but i was having way too much fun pulling the HDD apart :D

Does anyone know if there is a fuse in the G4 iMacs? And if there was, could I replace it?

EDIT: I've taken it apart (almost completely) and there is no fuse. I'm taking it to the shops to get a replacement power unit when I get time. The next question is, how much will it set me back?

bpmri

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
What was the problem. The same thing just happened to me. I unplugged the cord from the back after I shut it down. Plugged it back in and it won't turn on.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Those 'lampy' iMac G4s were horribly designed from a structural point of view. The logic board is only half an inch away from the base; if you set the machine down too hard you've taken out your computer.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
What was the problem. The same thing just happened to me. I unplugged the cord from the back after I shut it down. Plugged it back in and it won't turn on.

Mine had a dead logic board, I think. I still have the power supply from it. It might be worth shipping it to you to test it out. What model do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.