Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:13 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

PC v. Mac

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: PC v. Mac
Description:: Need I say more.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes
Need I say more.

Nope.

Quote:
Viruses: PCs are more vulnerable. That's not a PC flaw. It's a reality of hackers targeting the biggest market. Logic says more-popular Macs will attract more viruses.
Quote:
Price: PCs are cheaper. There's a cool factor you're paying for with Macs.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Willis
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Willis
some fair points. Macs are PC's at the end of the day... Just better than Windows
Willis is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:33 PM   #4
bryanc
macrumors 6502

More clueless journalism....

It always pains me to see someone who is a 'professional' in their field, but manages to do a worse job than any random grade 6 student you might choose.

I guess that's what one would predict as a consequence of decades of degradation of the American educational system.

Cheers
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:36 PM   #5
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Viruses: PCs are more vulnerable. That's not a PC flaw. It's a reality of hackers targeting the biggest market. Logic says more-popular Macs will attract more viruses.
They are absolutely right. Finally, someone has the right idea! Security vulnerability is NOT a PC flaw!

It's a Windows flaw.

someguy is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:37 PM   #6
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
What a terrible article. I feel for the people of Greenville if that's how all their news is presented.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:40 PM   #7
thegreatluke
macrumors 6502a

I like how the author tried to claim that the PC's file system is just as easy to use as the Mac's.

Last time I opened my PC's My Computer icon, there were about thirty thousand folders to root through to find one specific file. It's madness I tell you!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:41 PM   #8
63dot
macrumors 601

yes, the PC is a bigger target, a much bigger target

it does not matter how stable or unstable XP is, it's the visible operating system dominating the world right now
63dot is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:43 PM   #9
Snowy_River
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
I find this statement remarkable:

Quote:
Price: PCs are cheaper. There's a cool factor you're paying for with Macs.
Given that most people who properly do their research find that PC systems from major manufacturers will cost on a par with a similar Mac system. So I guess that means you get the cool factor for free!

Oh, yeah, and then there's

Quote:
Peripheral friendliness: Previously, Macs had the "plug and play" thing down. PCs used to be a struggle. Now, though, PCs have made major strides toward add-on friendliness.
This statement implies some pretty incorrect things. First, saying "Previously, Macs had the "plug and play" thing down." implies that they no longer do. Wrong. Then, the overall implication of the paragraph is that Macs and PCs are on a par with their implementation of Plug-n-Play. This, too, is wrong. In my experience, it is very common that I can plug something into my Mac and have it immediately work, whereas I can plug the same thing into my PC (WinXP Pro) and it will "search for drivers", fail to find them, tell me to look on the internet or contact the manufacturer. It's still plug-n-pray, to me, on the Windows side.

Last edited by Snowy_River; Aug 1, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
Snowy_River is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:43 PM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot
it does not matter how stable or unstable XP is, it's the visible operating system dominating the world right now
Correction: visibility/target size matters... AND stability, quality, and design matter also

When it comes to security, Macs have TWO advantages. It's not either/or, both are true, and we may glad of them.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:47 PM   #11
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
Correction: visibility/target size matters... AND stability, quality, and design matter also

When it comes to security, Macs have TWO advantages. It's not either/or, both are true, and we may glad of them.
in my neck of the woods, silicon vallley and surrounding areas, there are guys and gals who can get by anything so it's not a factor among those who know thier shyza
63dot is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

If the 'logic' referred to by the person who wrote the article was correct, we'd have approx. 4% (conservatively based on reported marketshare) of the number of viruses that Windows has...various estimates range from 50,000 to 100,000.

So by that token we'd have maybe 2000-4000 or so?

Instead, we have 0.

Security through obscurity is complete FUD.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:49 PM   #13
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Nope.

nuff said.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:50 PM   #14
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
If the 'logic' referred to by the person who wrote the article was correct, we'd have approx. 4% (conservatively based on reported marketshare) of the number of viruses that Windows has...various estimates range from 50,000 to 100,000.

So by that token we'd have maybe 2000-4000 or so?

Instead, we have 0.

Security through obscurity is complete FUD.

as great as apple inc and their products are, we have not (outside of the iPod), ever gone on the radar of high tech...we fly, thankfully, way, way below
63dot is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:54 PM   #15
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatluke
I like how the author tried to claim that the PC's file system is just as easy to use as the Mac's.

Last time I opened my PC's My Computer icon, there were about thirty thousand folders to root through to find one specific file. It's madness I tell you!
Bill Gates can read and write code, Steve Jobs can't
Bill Gates designed a system for geeks because he is one
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot
as great as apple inc and their products are, we have not (outside of the iPod), ever gone on the radar of high tech...we fly, thankfully, way, way below
The first successful virus for OSX represents such a kudos-worthy prize of such prestige in the world of 'high tech' that it's remarkable that we haven't seen one yet.

I would bet my last penny that many have tried. And failed.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:57 PM   #17
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatluke

I STILL cant get my head round how to access a CD on a PC. You put the disk in, then have to go searching for it? And whats that Start button all about? The first thing you see when you click 'start' is shut down? Quite handy for us mac users i guess
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:59 PM   #18
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Whenever the "security thru obscurity" bit comes up I think of something that I read a while ago that said that even though MS is a minority in the web server market they still suffer the majority of attacks. Can anyone who knows more about the server confirm/deny this?

Lethal
Old Aug 1, 2006, 05:05 PM   #19
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe
Whenever the "security thru obscurity" bit comes up I think of something that I read a while ago that said that even though MS is a minority in the web server market they still suffer the majority of attacks. Can anyone who knows more about the server confirm/deny this?

Lethal
Not with facts, but it's true. The first one to crack the Unix based operating systems and get a virus out there is going to be huge.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:47 PM   #20
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Meh. Or use both. I have my MBP and I have my aging desktop that will be replaced with a core 2 duo with SLI goodness sometime next year. Its all the same melting pot for me at this point and XP has gotten to a point that its pretty dang stable and secure (as long as you follow the holy 4....Firewall, AV, patches, Firefox(with extensions.))

Meh.
I like Windows. . . I like OS X. Neither blows me away.

PS- As a Dell warrantee person I just visited someone today who just migrated from an old first gen iMac to a Dell Dimension. Poor guy. I think his motherboard blew. It definitely wasn't the video card Dell had me replace. Oh I did my job and did the troubleshooting "thing" but the guy obviously had no buisness being near a PC. What with not knowing that no it really doesn't matter which USB port you plug in yur mouse and keyboard. As always I plant the seed mentioning that I purchased my first Mac a few months ago that runs Windows and OS X. . . questions ensued. Can't decide if my company would fire me if they found out. Not like I really care since I want the heck out of this crap factory of a job. But I digress.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:08 PM   #21
thegreatluke
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy
Bill Gates can read and write code, Steve Jobs can't
Bill Gates designed a system for geeks because he is one
No offense or anything, but are you trying to prove a point?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:22 PM   #22
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

Personally I like the Systems' Properties thing in Windows
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:04 PM   #23
flipper
macrumors newbie

How often does your mac crash

I was forced to use a Sony Vaio running XP recently at a company i was visiting and God knows why, but it puked about 5 minutes after booting up. What was surprising, was the reaction of the half dozen or so other Windows users at the same desk. It was like, "Oh, blue screen of death, eh?" as if this is a normal occurrance for them. Obviously something was wrong, though i was not doing anything weird on it - just email, web and SAP gui.

Whereas, on my Macs (and i have a few) running OSX 10.3 and 10.4, touch wood, I have had one kernel panic on one machine in the last 5 years. My G4 (sawtooth) has been on 24/7 for the last 6 years without a glitch. Hell, I even forgot to restart for about 4 months straight, still no worries.

XP has supposedly improved from the days for Win 95/98/ME, but for simplicity of use and reliability, forget about it.
flipper is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:32 PM   #24
alexstein
macrumors 6502a

This article was a complete waist of time to read. It started out alright and than it got worse from there.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:46 PM   #25
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper
I was forced to use a Sony Vaio running XP recently at a company i was visiting and God knows why, but it puked about 5 minutes after booting up. What was surprising, was the reaction of the half dozen or so other Windows users at the same desk. It was like, "Oh, blue screen of death, eh?" as if this is a normal occurrance for them. Obviously something was wrong, though i was not doing anything weird on it - just email, web and SAP gui.

Whereas, on my Macs (and i have a few) running OSX 10.3 and 10.4, touch wood, I have had one kernel panic on one machine in the last 5 years. My G4 (sawtooth) has been on 24/7 for the last 6 years without a glitch. Hell, I even forgot to restart for about 4 months straight, still no worries.

XP has supposedly improved from the days for Win 95/98/ME, but for simplicity of use and reliability, forget about it.
About twice a month. Last crash, more accurately freeze, was with a WYSISWYG web editor that took down the system. The previous crash was when I plugged in my USB HUB and then plugged in my 24" monitor then rotated the screen 90* to port mode. I must have done all of this too fast because X choked HARD. OS X is not crash proof by a long shot.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion