Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Tech replaces diamonds as girl's best friend: study

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Tech replaces diamonds as girl's best friend: study
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:58 AM   #2
poppe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
according to a new U.S. study that found three of four women would prefer a new plasma TV to a diamond necklace
This is a little weird... Diamon Necklace or a Plasma TV...

"Hey do you want an iPod or a Sewing Machine"

To me that just doesn't feel like a good comparisson... But still its always good news when women are becoming more equal; just saying it doesn't feel like this was the greatest wording for a question.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
ppc_michael
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
I was hoping the title meant "Tech" as in the person, like a computer technician.

But no. It doesn't. And it probably never will.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:33 AM   #4
poppe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael
I was hoping the title meant "Tech" as in the person, like a computer technician.

But no. It doesn't. And it probably never will.
Haha man that was funny.... I laughed out loud, which rarely happens on here. Good one.

I dont know maybe one day.

"So you make an iPod... Whoa thats sexy"

But more importantly.

"yeah baby I can fix it if it brakes"
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
thedude110
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oprah's Surrogates
The study found 77 percent of women surveyed would prefer a new plasma television to a diamond solitaire necklace and 56 percent would opt for a new plasma TV over a weekend vacation in Florida.

Even shoes lost out. The study found 86 percent would prefer a new digital video camera to a pair of designer shoes.
Umm ... I find something about this study repulsive. Its subtext seems to reinforce stereotypes while it supposedly advocates against them.

In any case, I wish the woman wanted a digital projector and surround sound instead of an engagement ring. But I spose a digital projector isn't so easy to show off at work ...

Right.

She's not all that self-serving. And I'm generally happy.

If vaguely embittered by the heat.
thedude110 is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Applespider
macrumors 603

Nope...

I might buy a plasma TV but I wouldn't treat myself to a diamond necklace...
Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:03 PM   #7
pth-webdev
macrumors member

Quote:
found that given the choice, women would opt for tech items rather than luxury items like jewelry or vacations.

The study found 77 percent of women surveyed would prefer a new plasma television to a diamond solitaire necklace and 56 percent would opt for a new plasma TV over a weekend vacation in Florida
They mean that girls prefer tech luxery items over non-tech luxery items. But that seems not to be what they are saying at first glance.

When it comes to a plasma t.v. versus a regular t.v. or an iPod over a walkman or discman or a digital camera versus a film-camera, the choice for tech is already made, but now there is a better ratio between function and operatability. So the level of tech drops and as a result the threshold for people who just want the function. That goes for people of all ages and both genders. I don't think that the result of this study is all that exciting.

And who want a diamond necklace, anyway? Nice to sit on your couch watching Oprah or CSI with an expensive the necklace while looking at an outdated model tv. Off course would girls prefer a better t.v. Or a new cellular phone. Or a small digital camera. Or a fancier computer. This is all stuff that has a function.

As a man, I find the study sexist. Woman have lifes, you know. They need function over decoration.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion