Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 3, 2006, 04:23 PM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

grep, regular expressions, HTML files

I could use a little help here. Alright, let's say I have this here HTML file, and I want to extract some of the things in brackets (which are just placeholders - in the HTML files I'm actually extracting data from there will be actual content where the brackets are) using grep, then send that data to a file.

I'm not entirely sure which regular expressions to use. Also, for a given piece of data I don't want the regular expression to return more than one match.

Oh, ignore all the broken links and images in the linked-to HTML file - they're supposed to be broken.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:49 PM   #2
savar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to savar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I could use a little help here. Alright, let's say I have this here HTML file, and I want to extract some of the things in brackets (which are just placeholders - in the HTML files I'm actually extracting data from there will be actual content where the brackets are) using grep, then send that data to a file.

I'm not entirely sure which regular expressions to use. Also, for a given piece of data I don't want the regular expression to return more than one match.

Oh, ignore all the broken links and images in the linked-to HTML file - they're supposed to be broken.
First off, the best regex tutorial I've ever read:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html

What you're looking for is something like this:
\[.*?\]

This matches a pair of square brackets with or without stuff in the middle. The ? makes * ungreedy -- it will return the shortest match possible. The brackets I think must be escaped since they have special meaning in a regex.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming