Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:53 AM   #1
mdt562
macrumors newbie

Extreme loss of quality iPhoto --> iDVD

Thanks for your replies

When i presentate a slide show in iPhoto. The pictures are crisp and clear. But when i send them to iDVD and export to save as disc image the picture quality takes a big hit. I did put quality over performance in the settings and they all look the same to me. I've searched everywhere for answers and havent found anything yet. Do i have to resort to buying a new app? Again thanks for your replies
mdt562 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
theBB
macrumors 68020

iDVD reduces the photos to 640x480 (or something similar) as this is the best a TV can display, so any application intended for TV would do the same. If you use Ken Burns effect in your photos, it becomes even worse if you have a distinct vertical and horizontal lines in the photos, such as power lines, roof tiles etc.

If you are not planning to display them on your TV from a DVD player, then why don't you try to get iPhoto to export your slideshow as a high quality .mov file.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Applespider
macrumors 603

The iMovie and iDVD book suggests doing the following.

Either do it through iMovie and turn on Ken Burns since then iMovie renders it rather than iDVD.

How are you sending it to iDVD? The book suggests that for images that aren't Ken Burns'd, try dragging the icon in the top bar to iDVD rather than clicking on the button to send the project to iDVD - I have no idea why this would work different but Pogue's book suggests it does.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 05:31 AM   #4
thestaton
macrumors 6502

to skip all the BS - pictures & video are 2 different beasts. when exporting pictures to iDVD export them as a tiff file this way they are uncompressed. and you'll be back to gorgeous looking pics in no time

i usually just make a folder on my desktop pick, out all the pictures I want to use from iphoto then export them there. that way when I'm done I can just delete the folder and call it a day
thestaton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store