Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2002
I recently was sent an email regarding a study being conducted by AOL, regarding AIM. I filled oit the survey, the second question being "Do you have a credit card?" I said "No" and the survey ended. I do hope that this is not a sign of things to come. What I see are:

1) It was for the hell of it.
2) They will soon charge for AIM
3) Premium services
4) Maybe this has something to do with the Apple Music service....

Could AOL and Apple be together on this, and be using the AIM network to deliver music to subscribers?

Edit: I was able to retake it, and many of the questions focus on dating services. In fact, they all focused on dating services. So, it looks like chocices 1,2,4 are out.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
every couple months i hear people specualting on this and it will ismpyl never happen especially with all the free substitutes that are out ther. Think Napster, aim would have a similar circumstance if all the sudden it started to charge for its servce. Plus there are sooo many free substitutes thats its simpyl unimaginable. Hmmm I'll put this on my list of things to concern just like that tax on email.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I think this is a good idea for AOL, it would bring a new stream of income into the company, they need it becasue of the draining interest in the AOL browser. If AOL charged something like $1.95 a month, I think it would be a hit. First of all, 2 bucks is not that much, and I don't think people would mind paying for a service like that. AOL would cleanup, because they would turn a service which basically makes money, into a cash machine. Personally I think it makes good business sense, as long as the price was right.

What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.