Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Hands On: MacBook - Notebooks

Category: Reviews
Link: Hands On: MacBook - Notebooks
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
poppe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes

Category: Reviews
Link: Hands On: MacBook - Notebooks
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
Interesting article. Seemed fair enough. Better than CNET reviews thats for sure.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Nice review, although not too deep on information. Hopefully Apple can increase the radius in the mold on that edge and get rid of these seam issues.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Nice review, although not too deep on information. Hopefully Apple can increase the radius in the mold on that edge and get rid of these seam issues.
I have never noticed the sharpness of the edge before. I suppose its because I, like normal people, rest my wrists on the computer not on the edge of the case. Also, the edge is not terribly sharp at all. The seam lines from injection molded parts are infinately more sharp than the MacBook "seam".
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveos22
I have never noticed the sharpness of the edge before. I suppose its because I, like normal people, rest my wrists on the computer not on the edge of the case. Also, the edge is not terribly sharp at all. The seam lines from injection molded parts are infinately more sharp than the MacBook "seam".
I haven't seen enough MacBooks to be completely sure, but there was quite a bit of debate about this and there seems to be some individual differences -- i.e. not everyone has sharp edges. That could easily be accounted for by a number of factors -- e.g. multiple cavities, of which only one is making problem parts, or a running change. Although if people are still complaining about newly shipped MacBooks having this problem, I suspect it's not the latter.

I could be wrong, to your point, and all the MacBooks could be the same, but some of the users are bitchier than others.... Which is good for you (since you're easy-going and have good posture) but bad for Apple, because there seem to be a good number of users out there that who do not meet your definition of "normal people."

Can always use sandpaper.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 05:27 PM   #6
abeyk
macrumors regular

good review, I like this one more:http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars
abeyk is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Monk Edsel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeyk
good review, I like this one more:http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars
Eh, I don't like how it repeatedly refers to the black model as being "glossy black" when it isn't glossy at all, unlike the white.
Monk Edsel is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2006, 06:22 AM   #8
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Again I see positive responses from pro-Apple reviews around here, the same as negatives from anti-Apple reviews. Appears mistakes have been overlooked as the overall tone is pro-Apple.

1. It does not come pre-loaded with Office, only a test drive.
2. Gives the impression that all larger models have FW800, (15" doesn't, 17" does)
3. Gives impression it will not onyl read, but burn any 12cm DVD available, (doesn't do DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL)

Alright, I am nit-picking, but this article isn't as good as it appears from a couple of initial responses here.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hill4
Again I see positive responses from pro-Apple reviews around here, the same as negatives from anti-Apple reviews. Appears mistakes have been overlooked as the overall tone is pro-Apple.

1. It does not come pre-loaded with Office, only a test drive.
2. Gives the impression that all larger models have FW800, (15" doesn't, 17" does)
3. Gives impression it will not onyl read, but burn any 12cm DVD available, (doesn't do DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL)

Alright, I am nit-picking, but this article isn't as good as it appears from a couple of initial responses here.
1. Does any Mac come loaded with Office nowadays? No. So what's the point?
2. No it doesn't. It just says it lacks FW800. While you could say they imply that the 15.4'' has FW800, that's a bit dumb.
3. Says it can handle it – which is a real nit-pick, but it wasn't an in-depth so don't go overboard.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion