Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

QuarkXpress 7 better but not good enough

Category: Reviews
Link: QuarkXpress 7 better but not good enough
Description:: "Macsimum News" reviews QuarkXPress 7.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:44 PM   #2
montex
macrumors regular

Buh-Bye Quark

I used to love quark back in the 4.11 days. Then 5 happened - Ugh! I can't count the number of botched PDFs that came from 5. I gave them another chance with 6, but they lost me with their HORRIBLE registration procedure.

About the time 6 made me hate Quark all together, I turned to InDesign 2 and I began using it more and more. When the Adobe Creative Suite arrived, I lost all need for Quark. I've spent the past 2 years moving our legacy layouts into InDesign CS. Now I rarely have to fire up Quark and I'm glad.

At this point, I don't care how great Quark 7 is. I'm not going back, and neither is the prepress department I manage. Oh I'm sure I'll get a Q7 file sometime in the future, but I know how to sweet talk my designers to save it down to a 6.
montex is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 02:02 PM   #3
baleensavage
macrumors 6502a

I keep giving them tries too. We have Quark 6 at work and it is one of the buggiest pieces of software we use. It quits all the time, makes terrible PDFs and convinces itself that half of your Quark 4 files are Passport files which of course you cant open unless you buy Passport. i keep hoping that maybe 7 will fix it, then I remember that its Quark and those problems have been around since 4.
baleensavage is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Lame and lightweight review about 3 months after the fact. Barely submission-worthy.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
iGav
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montex
I used to love quark back in the 4.11 days.
Quark 4 put me off EVER wanting to be a print designer.
iGav is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 07:57 PM   #6
CalCanuck
macrumors member

Maybe if they cut the price in half (about what it's actually worth) they might attract a few new adopters.

I switched to Web design 3 years ago but still find I need a DTP app every now and then but the company won't buy Quark because it's too expensive -- InDesign on the other hand was a much easier sell.
CalCanuck is offline   0
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:40 PM   #7
bija
macrumors newbie

QXP 7 quits constantly on me

I have been trying to write a review of QXP 7 for our user group newsletter and have had problems with it quitting on me constantly. I wish I knew how to get it to work long enough to use it for the newsletter one month so I can review it. I have disabled the third party Xtensions, tossed the preference folders for Quark, reinstalled it to version 7.0 and still it quits on me.

Right now, I can open the document I had been working on, but when I change the view to fit in window, then use the keyboard to Page Down, I get a beachball cursor and it crashes. I can do this over and over.
bija is offline   0
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:50 PM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bija
Right now, I can open the document I had been working on, but when I change the view to fit in window, then use the keyboard to Page Down, I get a beachball cursor and it crashes. I can do this over and over.

It could be a font problem or anything really... If you have a repeatable crash in QuarkXpress, you might be best off going to their forums for a solution. Personally, v7 is not going near a production machine of ours until they release 7.1. Good luck.

http://www.quark.com/service/forums/
Old Oct 1, 2006, 03:27 PM   #9
bija
macrumors newbie

still quitting constantly

I bought a new 2nd internal hard drive for my G5 and installed a fresh system and did not import my Home folder to it--so everything was clean. I had to reinstall QXP 7.0.1 in order to use it on this drive, but for a day, it was working fine. I was able to open the document I am working on and make some progress. I saved a new copy and decided to try opening it on the other drive by booting up there. It opened but quit after I started scrolling down the pages using the Page Down key on my keyboard. Since then I cannot open this newsletter document on either drive. QXP quits immediately before it can even save a Rescue copy.

If it was a corrupt font, you would think it would not have worked for even the one day. I have Suitcase Fusion which I used to scan and repair all the fonts--it found none that were in need of repair.

I have about had it with QXP 7. The only problem is that I need to get this newsletter finished this week and I don't know how that is going to happen unless I redo the whole thing in InDesign
bija is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:56 PM   #10
leekohler
Banned

My biggest complaint with Quark 7 is speed. I've tried it on my Dual-core G5 and a Mac Pro, both were completely unacceptable in terms of speed. And I mean everything from launching the app to opening documents. That was a huge turnoff- InDesign, here I come! I already took a studio class at the Apple store too.
leekohler is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
My biggest complaint with Quark 7 is speed. I've tried it on my Dual-core G5 and a Mac Pro, both were completely unacceptable in terms of speed.
Really? How much RAM in those machines, Lee? We've got 4 licenses waiting to be installed when I upgrade the dual 2.5s to Leopard (they're on OS10.3 with 2.5gb RAM each at the mo). Because of other colleague's intransigency, we won't move over to InDesign, so we're committed to Quark for at least another 18 months.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:42 PM   #12
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Really? How much RAM in those machines, Lee? We've got 4 licenses waiting to be installed when I upgrade the dual 2.5s to Leopard (they're on OS10.3 with 2.5gb RAM each at the mo). Because of other colleague's intransigency, we won't move over to InDesign, so we're committed to Quark for at least another 18 months.
3.5 Gigs in the G5 and 2 Gigs in the Mac Pro.
leekohler is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:43 AM   #13
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
3.5 Gigs in the G5 and 2 Gigs in the Mac Pro.
Oh... I'm gonna have to set up a test machine then. I wonder if it's any of the modules causing problems i.e. Quark Vista or the display preferences.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:58 AM   #14
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Oh... I'm gonna have to set up a test machine then. I wonder if it's any of the modules causing problems i.e. Quark Vista or the display preferences.
I was wondering if I was doing something wrong too. Let me know what you find out. I would love your take on it.
leekohler is offline   0
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:06 AM   #15
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I was wondering if I was doing something wrong too. Let me know what you find out. I would love your take on it.
I'll try the demo on my dual 1.4 (2gb RAM) at home a few weeks into the new year. I'm reluctant to use the unopened boxes at work until they've been installed there, because I don't want first activation to occur on non-work machines.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:49 PM   #16
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
I'll try the demo on my dual 1.4 (2gb RAM) at home a few weeks into the new year. I'm reluctant to use the unopened boxes at work until they've been installed there, because I don't want first activation to occur on non-work machines.
I can tell you that I did get a little message box when opening documents that said, "loading previews". I couldn't find where to turn that off though. But then I thought, if it's just loading previews and not full-res images, why is that taking so long?
leekohler is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2007, 05:12 AM   #17
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I can tell you that I did get a little message box when opening documents that said, "loading previews". I couldn't find where to turn that off though. But then I thought, if it's just loading previews and not full-res images, why is that taking so long?

I dunno but I've only just found out that Quark released the 7.1 update three days ago which claims that:

Quote:
Listening to market needs, Quark made significant performance improvements in several key areas -- including text selection, clipped images, and flattening features. Each feature has received a performance boost, resulting in faster production times. In addition, the Universal upgrade has provided performance improvements throughout the application, and in some areas QuarkXPress 7.1 is up to five times faster on Intel-based Macs than PowerPC*.
http://www.designertoday.com/News/37...arkXPress.aspx

So it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference on your Mac Pro.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:44 PM   #18
weckart
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCanuck View Post
Maybe if they cut the price in half (about what it's actually worth) they might attract a few new adopters.

I switched to Web design 3 years ago but still find I need a DTP app every now and then but the company won't buy Quark because it's too expensive -- InDesign on the other hand was a much easier sell.

They did in the UK; at least for the Windows version, if you were quick enough. The full release of version 5 was given away with Computer Shopper Magazine last month. Along with the online registration required was an offer to upgrade to the latest version for 249 - which is a substantial saving on the list price. Copies of these have fetched up on ebay.

Nowt for Macs, though, but I did not trawl the Mac magazines to see whether a similar giveaway was on offer in December.
weckart is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:12 PM   #19
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
I dunno but I've only just found out that Quark released the 7.1 update three days ago which claims that:

http://www.designertoday.com/News/37...arkXPress.aspx

So it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference on your Mac Pro.
Let's see what happens. Let me know what you find out as well.
leekohler is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion