Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft Kills VirtualPC for Macintosh

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Microsoft Kills VirtualPC for Macintosh
Description:: At Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) on Monday Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit (Mac BU) indicated that it will not develop a new version of Virtual PC, its PC emulation software.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 05:55 PM   #2
DeSnousa
macrumors 68000

To much competition for Windows who overcharge I don't think its going to be missed with apps like bootcamp and vmware
DeSnousa is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
FF_productions
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
It was bound to happen sooner or later..
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:02 PM   #4
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

I love VMware. If their OS X Workstation is as good as their Windows product, then Parallels will have a run for their money, and Microsoft made the smart decision by not even bothering...
aristobrat is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:04 PM   #5
crazedbytheheat
macrumors regular

Parallels!

I had a copy of VP7 for my G5 based Mac. I'm now using Parallels on my MacBook and it's incredibly fast. I compare it favorably to the Dells that the rest of my coworkers use. Plus, it runs more than Windows.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:28 PM   #6
CANEHDN
macrumors 6502a

It's not like we need it. Now if Apple can incorporate MSN Messenger into iChat we won't need MSN Messenger. Then all we're left with is Microsoft Office and for those weirdos that like running windows on their Mac, Windows XP and Vista.
CANEHDN is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:37 PM   #7
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANEHDN
It's not like we need it. Now if Apple can incorporate MSN Messenger into iChat we won't need MSN Messenger. Then all we're left with is Microsoft Office and for those weirdos that like running windows on their Mac, Windows XP and Vista.
I would love it if Apple would add MSN Messenger support to iChat. I have a lot of friends and family who use MSN Messenger, but not AIM... so right now I can't camera-chat with them.

But Virtual PC going away is hardly a surprise. There's just no need for it anymore, unless you're still using a G4 or G5.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
ipacmm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ipacmm
I never really used VirtualPC because it was way too slow for me and with BootCamp I knew it was time for VirtualPC to retire.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:50 PM   #9
chicagdan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipacmm
I never really used VirtualPC because it was way too slow for me and with BootCamp I knew it was time for VirtualPC to retire.
VirtualPC on my G5 isn't terrible ... I play some low-horsepower sports games on it and will keep using it until I get an Intel-based Mac.

I wonder if Apple doesn't have something a little more interesting planned for Spaces than Jobs let on today ... such as integrating Spaces desktops with VMWare and Parallels.
chicagdan is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2006, 07:56 PM   #10
thegreatluke
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Have you tried out Adium recently?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 01:24 AM   #11
Bakey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well there's a lot of weirdos around here in that case; as it can be difficult not to let go 100%!

Even if there's just one app. out there that's part of the workflow [but only available on Windows] then it's gotta stay... Hard but simple!
Bakey is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:57 AM   #12
Shotglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatluke
Have you tried out Adium recently?
He is referring to the incompatibility with MSN video chats.
Shotglass is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:18 AM   #13
filipp
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to filipp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotglass
He is referring to the incompatibility with MSN video chats.
Adium can do all MSN Messenger for Mac can, neither of them supports video chat
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:30 AM   #14
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipp
Adium can do all MSN Messenger for Mac can, neither of them supports video chat
Thus the need for VirtualPC...
aristobrat is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion