Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Hi, Id like to know what is the emule equivalent for mac, and how usable it is. Thanks!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I use to use Azureus but that was a huge resource hog. It practically used as much memory as possible.

Right now I been using Transmission. It doesnt display as quite detailed information as Azureus, but it gets the job done well.

I really been hoping they would port over uTorrent soon though, because on the PC that is by far the BEST bittorrent client I have ever used.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I've been using transmission on my MB, and it works great, WAAAAAAY better than bit torrent.

I had one torrent file which just wouldn't get going on transmission though, so i booted up windows, stuck it into utorrent, and hey presto, it went like lightning! judging by that, utorrent is best, but it's a hassle booting windows, putting everything in shared, going back to OSX etc, so i just use transmission where possible.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Isn't this thread 4063 about this topic?

Anyway, for what it's worth, I prefer Azureus, but Transmission is my second choice. If you search for the other threads you'll find some people complaining that Transmission has a few shortcomings, mostly having to do with tracking.

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
manic said:
Hi, Id like to know what is the emule equivalent for mac, and how usable it is. Thanks!

In my opinion there isn't a particular Bit Torrent client on OS X, Azureus is the best bet as it supports DHT and otherwise Transmission is the best imo (BoW isn't all that bad either).

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I use Azureus. Does Transmission give you the ability to download single files from a bittorrent download?

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
darkcurse said:
Well, I use Bits on Wheels. I kind of like it but then some torrents don't work with it.

I use Bits on Wheels as well, and it's worked on everything I've downloaded with it so far. It's VERY similar to Azureus in terms of functionality and being able to download individual files, seeing the 3D swarm, etc

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
my vote is for azureus, dl'ed almost 100 gigs with it and very pleased. i've used it with os x, win xp, and suse linux and it "runs" the best with mac os x.

yes it is high on resources as it is a java app, but mac os x seems to handle it best, i have 768mb ram on a pb 1.33

also has good faq wiki adn documentation

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
telecomm said:
Isn't this thread 4063 about this topic?

yep, lol.

some people need to discover the 9th wonder of the world... the search button!

but i will cast another vote for transmission.

markiv810

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2002
India
spicyapple said:
I use Azureus. Does Transmission give you the ability to download single files from a bittorrent download?

No, Azureus is the only bit torrent client that allows selective downloading on OS X, for Windows I would recommend BitComet or BitLord (I personally prefer BitComet)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There are so much threads about 'torrents, it must be the single most used app!

Anyone seriously use it for 100% only legal torrents?
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.