Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I'm trying to reinstall Tiger (10.4.0) on my PowerMac. I insert the (retail) DVD, restart, and hold down "C" to boot from the disc. Shortly after the gong, the "You must restart your computer" message appears, along with several dozen lines of kernel panic text superimposed. The kernel panic text begins "Unresolved Kernel Trap..."

I am able to boot into OSX from the hard drive. I've repaired permissions, cleared the PRAM, and tested the install disc on another mac. I've tried to boot and install from an iPod. There are no peripherals attached besides the Apple keyboard and mouse, and no third-party hardware is installed inside. I've gone through the troubleshooting documents at Apple support. Can anyone help me with this problem?

The computer is a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC with 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
May be a long shot, but if you hold down the "Option" key, you can choose the startup disk, vs. specifying it directly by using the "C" key. May be worth a try to see if you get the same message.

It's odd that it appears to work on other Macs. What OS X version is currently on the HD?

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Tried the option start, selected the 10.4 install disc, same result.

The HD is running 10.4.2.

Thanks, emw. Any other ideas?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
do you have only 2 sticks of ram? if you have more (even if from apple), you could try to take some of them out to test... it's a long shot but the last thing i could think of that you could relatively easily test on your own

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
RGunner said:
Have you added a Geforce 6800 to your G5?
If so, you cannot use the install disk any longer.

It has a GeForce 6600LE. Is that similar enough to cause the same problem? Why would a graphics card cause problems with an OS installer?

Thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sounds like it's a NEWER version of the dual-2.0GHz G5?

If so, then it might explain the kernel panics because you're trying to boot from an older OS than what it came with (10.4.2).

Which also means that you should be using the Installer DVD that it came with.. or should have come with.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
jelloshotsrule said:
do you have only 2 sticks of ram? if you have more (even if from apple), you could try to take some of them out to test... it's a long shot but the last thing i could think of that you could relatively easily test on your own

There are 2 slots loaded with 256MB. If I can't figure anything else out, I'll try your idea.

Thanks.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
a Geforce 6600 card.

Ok, so I can assume you did not add in this card, and its a stock Mac card.

Do you have the original install DVD's which were supplied with the computer (as the other poster asked)?

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
yellow said:
Sounds like it's a NEWER version of the dual-2.0GHz G5?

If so, then it might explain the kernel panics because you're trying to boot from an older OS than what it came with (10.4.2).

Which also means that you should be using the Installer DVD that it came with.. or should have come with.

So you can't load 10.4.0 onto a PowerMac G5 that had 10.4.2 installed at the factory? The person I bought this computer from didn't send the original installer disc; I've been trying to use the one I bought in March of last year.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
LawHog said:
The person I bought this computer from didn't send the original installer disc.
Do you think it's possible you can still get the install DVD from him? If not, perhaps there may be a way to get it through Apple, but I'm not certain.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Again, thanks to all that are helping me.

To explain: I bought this used computer for a business, knowing that the seller did not have the original installation disc (and hoping, obviously, that the system wasn't stolen). I assumed I could use my retail copy of Tiger to reinstall the OS. It's apparent that's not the case. The AKB article cited above warns against installing older versions of Mac OS, but can I simply buy and install the newest version of Tiger available?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
LawHog said:
but can I simply buy and install the newest version of Tiger available?

Probably not, I don't think the retail version Tiger has changed at all.. but you could look on eBay for an appropriate version of the Installer DVD for that model G5.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Actually..

you are in good shape, Apple does update their retail packages. The current shipping version is higher than 10.4.2.

Order from the Apple store online and you will be assured of a working version.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
RGunner said:
you are in good shape, Apple does update their retail packages. The current shipping version is higher than 10.4.2.

Great. Thanks, all, especially RGunner and yellow. You've been a terrific help.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Update

The current retail version of Tiger on the shelves is 10.4.3. It's successfully installing as I type.

Thanks all for your excellent advice.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
2:01 - Told that retail OS X will work.

2:40 - Already installing new version of OS X.

Do you actually live in an Apple Store? ;)

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
emw said:
2:01 - Told that retail OS X will work.

2:40 - Already installing new version of OS X.

Do you actually live in an Apple Store? ;)

:D Not an Apple store, but there's a mac retailer within walking distance of my house.

LawHog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Also note:

12:42 PM - semi-obscure mac problem posted.

2:01 PM - problem solved.

Well worth the price of admission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.