Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
ok....I can use my neigbors linysys network to go on the internet but I can't connect to my own belkins network. What do I need to do I have never use a mac before... I also want to share files between my dell desktop and macbook how do I set that up??

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
theres a sticky on this for a reason... Networking Guide (click).
And with regard to your belkin network you should just have to turn on airport (system preferences-network-airport-connect-turn airport on. And then in the top right corner your should see this icon Picture 1.png . Click on it and find the name of your network. If it has a password, enter it and you should connect. If that doesn't work, your router might be set up incorrectly.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
steamboat26 said:
theres a sticky on this for a reason... Networking Guide (click).
And with regard to your belkin network you should just have to turn on airport (system preferences-network-airport-connect-turn airport on. And then in the top right corner your should see this icon View attachment 54616 . Click on it and find the name of your network. If it has a password, enter it and you should connect. If that doesn't work, your router might be set up incorrectly.
What do you mean set up incorrectly?? My dell connects to it fine. Is there something I need to do on my desktop to set it up to accept a mac???

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
"Accept a mac?" I don't understand. To share files between a PC and Mac, just follow the network guide. If your mac connects to your neighbors wireless network fine, that can only mean that there is something wrong with your router. Does your network even show up when you click on the airport icon?

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
I told you my dell laptop connects to the router fine. It has to be the mac....the airport thingie reads the my router but can't connect to it.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
ok I followed exactly what the sticky said. Both my mac and pc can't recognize the address. When the author said "tick off" on the sticky does she mean enable or disable?? Can someone help me??

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
breakfastcrew said:
ok I followed exactly what the sticky said. Both my mac and pc can't recognize the address. When the author said "tick off" on the sticky does she mean enable or disable?? Can someone help me??

Describe every step you follow on your Mac.

When you click the little icon shown in the post above, what do you see? Do you see a list of networks, including yours, or do you see 'no networks found'?

If you see your network, when you click on it, what happens?

Give us a step-by-step detail of what you are doing, and any error messages you are receiving.

P.S. Please note that if your network has a password, it likely is *NOT* a password that the Mac knows how to send by default. Each manufacturer of wireless base station has their own format for plain-text passwords. What you want to get is the 'hex key'. Then, on your Mac, make sure you select 'WEP 40/128-bit hex' from the 'Wireless Security' drop down box, then type your key in exactly. (It should be either 10 or 26 characters, (exactly 10, or exactly 26, not 'somewhere between 10 and 26,) using only the numbers 0-9, and the letters a-f.)

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
how do I know what my network is call? I think there is one on my list thats mine WLAN?

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
ok wait nvm I see my network but I still can't connect to it. On my mac when I click on my network it doesn't even ask me for a password it just say there was an error joining the airport network "name".

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
First, follow your Belkin's instructions on how to configure it. Including how to change your network's name.

Second, while doing that, make sure you don't have any security turned on. It sounds like you might have 'MAC filtering' on, which makes it so that only certain computers can connect to the network. See your Belkin's manual for how to check this, and either add your MacBook, or disable this security feature.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
mac filtering is off firewall is off I still can't connect. But I did manager to change the networks's name and it shows on my macbook. Any more ideas?? thx for helping.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Sorry, not really enough information. If you live near an Apple Store, bring in the MacBook, the router (and its power supply,) and see if someone at the Genius Bar can help you out.

If I was sitting in front of your computer, I could probably be more help.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
are there any other settings that might prevent a strange laptop from connecting into my router??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.