Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Does anyone have experience with the Samsung's d807 ultraslim slider? My wife is getting ready to get a new cell and heard many bad things about the Razr from her IT folks. Her IT guys are steering her toward the Samsung. Anyone have any recommendations?

BTW - we're on Cingular in Chicago with no current contract.

Thanks.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Samsumgs are top notch and are probably more intuitive than Moto's offerings in terms of OS.

I have the t509 and briefly considered the d807. It's a nice phone and it's fit and finish are top notch.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
my brother got that phone last saturday when my parents switch us both over to cingular from sprint. The Sells guy said the moto phones where pretty poor and they tend to come back a lot for replacements. I wanted a phone that can take abuse and he suggest sony, Nokia and samgsung and my last cell was a samsung and I put that phone though hell and it was still working (also the phone that lasted the longest for me and it was still working when replaced)

only draw back to the phone your wife wants is you can not get insureance on it (that and I dont like sliders, really only intersted in flip phones). That one of the reasons I didnt consider it for me (come on a year for a cell phone for me is a record so you can see why). But he did say it was a good phone and they had not had issue with it unlike the moto phones coming back quite a bit.

(i got the sony ericison phone)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Hmmm - reading some reviews online. Doesn't look like any Samsung product syncs with Macs. Ugh.

Which Sony Ericsson did you go with Timepass? Anyone else have any good Mac-syncing phone options?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've had a Samsung A900 for 1.5 weeks. This is Sprint's flagship phone. I can say that the hardware is mostly good. The audio is a little less real than my Sanyo PM-8200 or Motorola StarTac gave on Sprint.

The software is the worst mess I've ever seen. Samsung's software developers make Microsoft's look much better.

I'd suggest avoiding Samsung.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
aricher said:
Hmmm - reading some reviews online. Doesn't look like any Samsung product syncs with Macs. Ugh.

Which Sony Ericsson did you go with Timepass? Anyone else have any good Mac-syncing phone options?

z525a only one cingular currenty carries.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
aricher said:

I have a Samsung D600 and can connect to the mac using bluetooth. I have a PeeCee laptop just for things like this but have not used the data cable once. I really love Samsung phones. I had a Nokia but changed to a Samsung 2 yerars ago. It was a very durable phone and coped with being dropped in a river and from a 1st storey window. I personally love the software.

I would avoid the Sony Ericssons like the plague. My brother has had 2 and the joysticks have stopped working on both and is a known problem on them.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Bubbasteve said:
I have the d807 and I absolutely love it...it's the best phone I've ever owned

have you figured out a way to sync it w/ your Mac or do you not care to? It drove me nuts owning a Moto V600 and not being able to sync it without a major hassle for 6 months until Apple updated iSync.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
aricher said:
have you figured out a way to sync it w/ your Mac or do you not care to? It drove me nuts owning a Moto V600 and not being able to sync it without a major hassle for 6 months until Apple updated iSync.
I only sync it to get my ringtones, sorry

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
does the samsung have bluetooth file transfer like my razr?

i hate my razr profusely. i mean HATE. I want to destroy it :)

anyways. If the samsung has good call quality, and bluetooth file transfer, id be happy.

I'm also considering the new LG CU550

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
What is it that you hate so much about the Razr. That's the other phone my wife wants. I'm leaning towards a Nokia 6682 now.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I've got an e900 coming, can't wait. :) Not sure about how (if at all) compatible it will be with my Mac though.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
aricher said:
What is it that you hate so much about the Razr. That's the other phone my wife wants. I'm leaning towards a Nokia 6682 now.

I don't own a RAZR, but have used a few and have come to hate them, as well. They are too wide to be comfortable, there's a very small sweet-spot as far as hearing the other caller goes, they keypad is hard to use (especially by touch) - some of this comes from the phone's width, some from the way it's made, and the menus are really slow.

Those are just the complaints I have from very limited use; I can't imagine what it would be like to have to use that phone exclusively.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
®îçhå®? said:
I would avoid the Sony Ericssons like the plague. My brother has had 2 and the joysticks have stopped working on both and is a known problem on them.
The Sony-Ericsson Z525a doesn't have the little joystick.

I've only had my Z525a for about a week, but I like it pretty well. It replaced my old T637 (which, by the way, still had a fully functional joystick). The Z525a seems to get a lot better reception than the T637 did. As with the T637, it works pretty seamlessly with iSync. My main problem at the moment is getting used to how it feels in my hand (the T637 was a "candybar" form factor, whereas this one's a flip-phone).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The RAZR isn't the most intuitive interface I've ever used. It's cute. And that's why I bought it. And if that's why you buy it, you will be happy with it. If you buy it believing it's a smart phone or that it's got an amazing interface, well... :p

As for things Baby Duck pointed out, my experience from extended use:

- the width -- doesn't bother me, but I have long, relatively slender hands
- the keypad -- never gets much better after extended use, sadly. Just cute.
- the earpiece directionality -- I use an H500 matching headset for extended calls, and used a headset with my previous phone, and it's a wash to me. It's better than my general experience with candy bar phones but not as good as the last flip phone I owned
- The interface -- I got used to most of the quirks but it does irritate me on occasion. Some things don't really work in a sensible fashion. There's no easy way to keep your phone book organized by last name, for instance, which drives me insane. For instance, if you do a lot of txt'ing, there are options to store 20 incoming messages and delete when you go over, which is the best because this is about the fill line for the txt message space. Unfortunately, it doesn't work! It just refuses to empty and gives you a "mailbox full" message. :rolleyes: There's a "delete after x days" that does work, but then you end up not keeping as many messages....
- Syncing: it couldn't fit my whole phone book so I had to prune out people I didn't want in my cell and use a special addressbook group to sync with. :( Calendar syncing is also somewhat unreliable... items sometimes mysteriously fail to appear. :rolleyes:

But as a basic phone and for cuteness factor, I'm satisfied with it. The build quality is satisfactory, and it works pretty well for me as a phone.

So in the end, it's cuteness persists. It's hot pink, for the love of God. Who wouldn't love that!? :eek: ;) :D

So in the end, I'm not upset with my purchase.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Took the plunge. My wife HAD to have the Razr so I got her the V3 and a Nokia 6682 for myself. I know the Nokia is a bit wide but everything I've read about this phone sounds great - esp. it's Mac synching capabilities. Got a great deal on Amazon. New service plan with Cingular - we want to ditch our old numbers anyway. Each phone was one cent and one day delivery us $22.97. We'll have our new phones tomorrow for a grand total of $22.99. Couldn't get a deal that sweet through Best Buy or Cingular directly. Yee Haw!

mulze22

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Up Nort
I went to cingular today hoping to upgrade my phone. I looked at the d807 and also the Cingular 2125. Overall the 2125 seemed to be better in my opinion. Like somebody else said, Samsung's software is really bad and confusing.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
my biggest problem with the razer is the lack of abuse it can take. It just can not stand up to the same level of wear and tear other phones can. That and other motola phones are the same way. Just I be hearing the razer is worse than normal. doesnt help that the sells guy stated they look cool but a lot of them come back not working. a lot more then they should.

I personally well never touch an LG phone and be very learing of a Mota phone

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Timepass said:
my biggest problem with the razer is the lack of abuse it can take. It just can not stand up to the same level of wear and tear other phones can. That and other motola phones are the same way. Just I be hearing the razer is worse than normal. doesnt help that the sells guy stated they look cool but a lot of them come back not working. a lot more then they should.

I personally well never touch an LG phone and be very learing of a Mota phone

That's somewhat shocking to me. I used my Motorola Star Tac and dropped it probably once a week for 4 years and it was still working quite well when I changed phones. There was a crack at the antenna housing and that was it. Even the holster was unbroken.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
bousozoku said:
That's somewhat shocking to me. I used my Motorola Star Tac and dropped it probably once a week for 4 years and it was still working quite well when I changed phones. There was a crack at the antenna housing and that was it. Even the holster was unbroken.

that was 4 years ago. Simple turth is moto more current phones are slipping the the razr and the slve both have way to many problems with them. They are having to be replaced a lot more offen than they should.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I received my Nokia 6682 and my wife's Razr yesterday. The Razr feels cheap and it's interface is as slow and clunky as my old Moto V600. I love my Nokia 6682 - very slick, good UI, ok video, good picture quality, nice fit/feel, etc.

Now with my luck Apple will release their "iPhone" this week.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
SGH-d900

D900;

12.7mm thin.

Auto Focus, 3.12MP camera, ZOOM.
Incredible screen with capability for TV Out.
T-Flash expandable memory card slot.
Pictures are close to SE's K800i & Nokia N73.

check out on gsmarena.com to compare ALL phones on the market.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
aricher said:
Now with my luck Apple will release their "iPhone" this week.

I thought that same thing after buying my new phone. If anyone could put a good interface on a good phone, they can.

Prom1 said:
check out on gsmarena.com to compare ALL phones on the market.

All GSM phones, at least.

Interesting seeing the D810 there. I considered it since it is the GSM equivalent of my A900. Unlocked phones are so expensive though.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I just got myself a Samsung D900. It's a sweet sweet phone for everything else but Bluetooth. The basics are there, sending/receiving files are no problem. However, syncing it with iSync or with Salling Clicker is a different story entirely. I'm trying very hard to figure out how to hack some other script or stuff a Java .jar file into the phone properly so it would work.

When it comes to ease-of-use. Sony Ericsson is KING. Fire off a .jar file and it's automatically installed in the proper place (games go to Games, and apps go to Applications) Now how the hell would it know the difference between two .jar files. Magic? And iSync works flawlessly, CLicker is a walk in the park (Salling Clicker is a very powerful mac remote control for Bluetooth).

Anybody else here managed to get the recent Samsungs to Sync properly? I'd really love to keep this phone, but if it can't even sync my phonebook and calendars, back to SE. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.