Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
guess it didn't lose any value since 1983!

$9995

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I never had a chance to use one if these, but I recall when I was a kid and I learned to use an Apple IIe at school, my parents bought a Mac for the family at XMas and I got P.O.ed that it had a GUI. I thought that made it less of a machine, but hey, I was only 9 yrs old or so.

Dan

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
why is that computer so valuable, apart from its rareness? I dont really understand the point of spending nearly 10 000 for something like that. There is certainly some "romance" but hey. that s quite a lot of money huh?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by maradong
why is that computer so valuable, apart from its rareness? I dont really understand the point of spending nearly 10 000 for something like that. There is certainly some "romance" but hey. that s quite a lot of money huh?
first commercial GUI (multitasking too)
first new idea, direction, architechture away from the Apple // series
innovative technology WAY ahead of it's time

the HW is not worth anything at all as far as value. the rarity coupled with it being revolutionary is worth 10K in that condition. with old rich nerds, what do you expect? :) it's on the same level as the apple I and altair 8800 imo.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
I'm gonna hold on to mu iMac 233 now, when I sell it in 10-15 years it will be enough for a car!
they produced too many of those for them ever to be worth something.

City of Glass

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Northern California
The Macintosh 128K was an ultra-mass commodity, just like its descendent, iMac. I'm sure there'll be an after-market for them, some time . . .

For now, just write a text file on it called "The Solution to Cold Fusion," and mention that in a bullet when you put it in the auction loop.

Big Money.

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

P.S., MrMacman -- does your car happen to be an 87 Chrysler Lebaron? Ha ha ha . . . sorry, that one was below the belt.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by City of Glass
The Macintosh 128K was an ultra-mass commodity, just like its descendent, iMac. I'm sure there'll be an after-market for them, some time . . .
the aftermarket on the 128K is still pretty good even after 20 years…

http://www2.sunrem.com/sun01.w?pt=110-100

200 is a far cry from the original 2500 (not including inflation). i predict the same for the iMac.

City of Glass

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Northern California
True, they probably will be less than their original retail price . . . but the early ones, like that 233, will at least be among the most valuable of their subcategory.

At least.

And isn't it more about nostalgia than monetary "worth"? I wouldn't trade my 128k or 512k-e for anything.

Sincerely Yours,

City of Glass

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.