Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Quality control problems or growing pains at Apple?

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Quality control problems or growing pains at Apple?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G4

"Given the volume of available evidence that has appeared in such a short timeframe, it's simply impossible to say that Apple isn't having problems."

Let me re-phrase that for accuracy:

"Given the volume of online anecdotes that have appeared in such a short timeframe, just like they always will because people with problems are more likely to post than people without, and given the volume of press attention given to Apple by the media seeking eyeballs for ads, it's simply impossible to say that Apple is having problems any worse than any other hardware company, such as Dell, whose laptops have been catching fire and recalled in mass numbers, and who does not have Apple's consistent history of the lowest hardware failure rates in the industry, borne out again by the latest large-scale survey in Consumer Reports."

Now, people DO have problems, with ANY brand, and it's a shame if you're one of the victims. But it's nice that Apple FIXES the problems (also borne out by Consumer Reports numbers, which place Apple far ahead of all others in customer support). Apple even going beyond the limitations of the warranty to make things right--so if you DID have one of the MacBooks with bad plastic, you can get it fixed free even though Apple has no legal obligation to do so. And sometimes Apple IS very quiet about an issue until they have pinpointed, fixed it, and formed a policy to announce. That's annoying, but it's NOT new ("growing pains"?) and it's NOT just Apple.

Apple's not perfect, and they (and/or their suppliers) could stand to improve--but no more so than any other hardware-maker. Internet snowballing hysteria--even with REAL incidents at its core--does not make for a "volume of available evidence."

Given the lack of actual evidence to support the headline, this does have the ring of classic FUD. Could they share some numbers to show that Apple is having problems they never had before this sales growth? It's possible--I just see no evidence either way. The article could take that stance, but they don't.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:38 PM   #3
torncanvas
macrumors newbie

Nice reply. Saves me from having to go that site and give any potential ad traffic.
torncanvas is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

Nagromme sounds like a Apple Consumer Representitive That sounded great. Apple does stand behind its stuff but the G5 Fiasco,ibook fiasco and few others like applying gobs of thermal paste have hurt Apple. Denying things for a long time isnt good policy but Apple has learned from that I hope.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
"Given the volume of available evidence that has appeared in such a short timeframe, it's simply impossible to say that Apple isn't having problems."

Let me re-phrase that for accuracy:

"Given the volume of online anecdotes that have appeared in such a short timeframe, just like they always will because people with problems are more likely to post than people without, and given the volume of press attention given to Apple by the media seeking eyeballs for ads, it's simply impossible to say that Apple is having problems any worse than any other hardware company, such as Dell, whose laptops have been catching fire and recalled in mass numbers, and who does not have Apple's consistent history of the lowest hardware failure rates in the industry, borne out again by the latest large-scale survey in Consumer Reports."

Now, people DO have problems, with ANY brand, and it's a shame if you're one of the victims. But it's nice that Apple FIXES the problems (also borne out by Consumer Reports numbers, which place Apple far ahead of all others in customer support). Apple even going beyond the limitations of the warranty to make things right--so if you DID have one of the MacBooks with bad plastic, you can get it fixed free even though Apple has no legal obligation to do so. And sometimes Apple IS very quiet about an issue until they have pinpointed, fixed it, and formed a policy to announce. That's annoying, but it's NOT new ("growing pains"?) and it's NOT just Apple.

Apple's not perfect, and they (and/or their suppliers) could stand to improve--but no more so than any other hardware-maker. Internet snowballing hysteria--even with REAL incidents at its core--does not make for a "volume of available evidence."

Given the lack of actual evidence to support the headline, this does have the ring of classic FUD. Could they share some numbers to show that Apple is having problems they never had before this sales growth? It's possible--I just see no evidence either way. The article could take that stance, but they don't.
give it a rest. we get it already. apple can do no wrong.
70355 is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:52 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torncanvas
Nice reply. Saves me from having to go that site and give any potential ad traffic.
Sure, why read the article for yourself before reaching a conclusion?
70355 is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:04 PM   #7
cwtnospam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgepacker
Sure, why read the article for yourself before reaching a conclusion?
For the same reason many of us decided we'd be waiting a little while before purchasing our Intel Macs: First generation products usually have problems.

This isn't Apple having growing problems or a drop in quality control. It's the expected issues you always see when a company comes out with a completely new product. Each new Intel based Mac is brand new to Apple, and there will be issues that they need to sort out. The fact that Apple has come out with two new laptop lines and three desktop lines in such a short time frame almost guarantees a larger than normal number of issues.

By Fall, this will all be just a memory.
cwtnospam is offline   0
Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:46 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Of course they can--and do--and unacceptably often, just like many other companies that ought to do better--and people should complain about those wrongs because it helps those wrongs get addressed.

Why read my post for yourself before reaching a conclusion?
nagromme is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2006, 07:09 AM   #9
backspinner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
nice nickname, FUD-gepacker

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion