Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wasn't sure if this belonged in the OS X forum or the hardware forum...

I used:
stock PB G4 1.5gHz 12''
MBP 2.0gHz 1.5gb RAM 15.4''

My problem:
I've noticed on my PB that OS X lags. The three that most irritate me are dashboard, spotlight, and finder. When I first open dashboard, there is some lag as the widgets try to load. Not sure if this is normal, and if there's a way to speed this up. When I type something into spotlight, the search is very slow. Most of the time, I am done typing my search term before spotlight shows any results, even from my first few letters typed. I don't have too many problems with that, except that I also have to wait after typing my entire search term as my spotlight results load. When I right-click on a file in finder, say to "get info" or go "open with", there is a 1-2 second lag before I get the drop-down menu.

Not like I'm getting full minutes of lag, but it takes away from the user experience when I get a second or two of a hiccup, especially when performing common tasks. I thought that it was possibly because I was on a stock computer and didn't have enough RAM.

Yesterday, I went to an Apple Reseller Store, and tried out the MBP for the first time. I didn't get to play with it as much as I wanted, since I was just passing by and had an appointment, but I noticed the same dashboard and spotlight lag while I was playing around. The display model was upgraded with 1.5gb of RAM.

My questions:
(1) Is this normal at all? Is my PB G4 messed up? And did I just come across a bad apple (no pun intended) in the MBP?
(2) If this isn't normal, how do I fix it? Without Applecare.
(3) If this is normal, how can I reduce the lag? Get more RAM? Wait for faster processors? Get a faster (7200 rpm) hard drive?

If it helps any, I checked my permissions and they're A-OK. No problems with the disk either. I half hope that everyone else is lagging, so that I can rest easy knowing that my powerbook isn't screwed up; but I also hope that this is just an abnormality in my laptop so that I can rest easy knowing that the MBP I'm going to get won't give me the same headaches as this PB.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, the extra RAM should help. Also, open up Activity Monitor and check out whether there's a process or a series of processes that seems to be using up a lot of your CPU cycles or your RAM. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.