Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
I am trying to watch a .avi file, and there is no sound for the particular clip.

However, other .avi files are working and give both video and audio.

this one however is only producing video. is there a plug-in or something i need to download? please help. thanks.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
ok.. well i am pretty sure i just need the DivX codec. but i dont have DivX player. can i download the DivX codec to QuickTime... or do i need the actual DivX player as well?

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
mad jew said:
The DivX link I posted earlier should take you to the codec. Just click on the Free Download button. :)

downloaded divx.. and i still get this.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 564

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Well, you need to figure what the audio track is. With the video open, go to the Window menu and select "Show Movie Info" then see what is next to format. There should be two lines. One of which is the video format, and will have a size and number of colors next to it, the other is the audio, and should say Stereo or Mono next to it and some other stuff.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
You need to check what is the Audio Encoder of your file. DivX can only play LAME mp3 audio. 3ivx is just a piece of crap. It takes over the native XviD codec and runs all my movies under rosetta and they run like crap frame by frame. I'd stay away from 3ivx until it goes universal.

What you probably need is the AC3 Audio Codec for Quicktime. Search for it online and you will find it easily. It's also a UB so works fine. It's still beta though but I can't tell no difference, plays the audio of all my files perfectly.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
MisterMe said:
No, it will not.

Well, maybe not poker or chess or hide 'n' seek but I've had very good luck playing video files with it. :D I can't say the same about Windows Media Player and Quicktime.

-Squire

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Squire said:
... can't say the same about Windows Media Player and Quicktime.

-Squire
Funny you should mention Windows Media Player[/b]. The Mac port of VLC does not play Windows Media 9, 10 or 11. The Windows port of VLC plays WMV 9 because it uses Microsoft's built-in codecs.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
MisterMe said:
Funny you should mention Windows Media Player[/b]. The Mac port of VLC does not play Windows Media 9, 10 or 11. The Windows port of VLC plays WMV 9 because it uses Microsoft's built-in codecs.

Be that as it may, I stand by the recommendation as I, too, have often experienced the same problem as the original poster.

-Squire

apetown

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
In the past few weeks I've noticed there are far more .avi files that give me this problem in Quicktime as well. Like d wade, I've downloaded the third party extensions a bunch of times, but still keep getting that error message too.

VLC is an okay alternative, but I feel it plays a bit too chunky, and fast forwarding or rewinding is simply a pain in the ass. Play/pause reacts way too slow as well.

EDIT: Perian works like a charm. Great tip!

It seems I'm having a combination of a few problems that people are posting about nowadays. Mail plays no sounds anymore, and Safari forgets a bunch of logins that normally don't give any hassle.

adamgalle

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I am having the same issue of avi files not playing the audio in Quicktime. They do work properly when I open the file in DivX which is fine for viewing, but when I use iDVD to burn the movies to disc I come across the same problem of no audio. Can anyone help please?

Hartel

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Portland, OR
I have VLC and Quicktime, I mainly use VLC for MKV files and I too had this same issue with .avi files not playing in Quicktime. Perian solved the issue, so for all future Mac users coming into this thread just download Perian with the link posted above and you will be gold.

shainv

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
I was trying to play an .avi in quicktime as well, and I was having trouble getting any sort of sound despite the presence of an image. I looked up the audio (quicktime > window > show movie inspector / info) and apparently it was in 'stereo' format. I downloaded Perian, as recommended here, went to my system prefs for Perian and changed the setting to 'stereo' and the problem was perfectly fixed.

I certainly recommend Perian.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/perian.html
Literally a 2 minute fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.