Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
What do you think? I'm gonna thicken it and add a slide out keyboard if I'm good enough (Done!). (PS I'm 13 so I don't have much experience)
ipodwholejf7.jpg

Approx Scale 1:2 so the real unit is 2 times as large.

Specs:

30GB HD
Removeable Battery
1.3MP video camera
2MP video camera on outside
WiFI & Bluetooth, Ad hoc mode, maybe infrastructure/mesh mode
Full thumboard, backlit. Has all Function keys (Not for long) and 2 extra for Wifi & Bluetooth, can be configurd (Copy and Paste?)
iPod wheel is a trackpad, buttons can be pressed as normal
2 large buttons are left and right click
140x83x15mm
5.75" OLED 18 bit color
Uses standard dock connector for expansion (USB Ports, etc.

To Do:
-Downsize headphone jack, hold switch and dock connector. (They are 2 times larger than they should be and this could be why you think it's too small.) DONE
-Trash Function keys and L/R click, upsize click wheel. DONE
-iTunes DONE
-Widen keyboard (Not so much that they're rectangles) DONE
-Rearrange placement of images
-add cellphone features (Ho boy....)
-Virtual click wheel (Could be turned off in system prefrences)
-Fix that GHASTLY lens cover
-Stylus
-Inkwell DONE

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
To be honest it looks good, your very creative. But my only questions is, why waste time on creating a mock up?:rolleyes: I've never understood that..

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
killuminati said:
Looks cool. The camera is bugging me though because I don't think it's centered.
I think you're right. I think I need to turn on the grid.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
AJ Muni said:
To be honest it looks good, your very creative. But my only questions is, why waste time on creating a mock up?:rolleyes: I've never understood that..
Because it's fun..? :confused:

And should I black out the 'window' on the iChat AV screen?

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
I dont see the appeal of such a product.

But its looks nice... too much screen though.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
bwanac said:
I dont see the appeal of such a product.

But its looks nice... too much screen though.
Well I'm a bit bored.

And lots of screen is important to me. (Sony Mylo... so nice but 2.4" screen.. no.)

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I love mockups - I think they're fun too :p

This one looks good - but yeah, turn the grid on, the uncentered camera bugs me...:)

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2005
Akron, OH
the side view of the iPod laying down...the reflection is to the right of the ipod in space. you just turned the profile shot on its side. but nice!

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I was thinking about messing with the reflection but I figured it's so hard to notice (I think) and it would be a real pain to fix.
Edit: I realised what you mean, I'll fix that eventually.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I don't see the use in the camera. Unless the thing has WiFi and will be used for video chatting primarily (and Apple's been making all kinds of cracks about WiFi sucking battery power too much), it'd be better to have the camera behind it to take photos of your surroundings.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
GFLPraxis said:
I don't see the use in the camera. Unless the thing has WiFi and will be used for video chatting primarily (and Apple's been making all kinds of cracks about WiFi sucking battery power too much), it'd be better to have the camera behind it to take photos of your surroundings.
Yes it has WiFi and Bluetooth, and it also has a removeable battery. :cool:
And it also has a 2MP camera on the other side.

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
You might want to keep the keyboard as small as possible because of the limited space.

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
wow, i am 13 and i could only dream about making a mockup that good.

p.s. i am extremely computer literate. 3 high distingtions in a row for Asia-Pacific Computer competition

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
tominated said:

p.s. i am extremely computer literate. 3 high distingtions in a row for Asia-Pacific Computer competition
It's not that hard when you can manage layers okay and can use the scale tool. ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Mammoth said:
Yes it has WiFi and Bluetooth, and it also has a removeable battery. :cool:
And it also has a 2MP camera on the other side.

A camera on each side is a bit redundant in that case. What about a camera that rotates 180 degrees?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
As cool as that 4-way video chat would be, I highly doubt they could get a fast enough processor in that case to do that. Right now, 4-way chat needs a high end G4, a G5 or any Intel. Those are not small processors and they put off a ton of heat. I could see maybe a one-to-one video as possible. The audio though, I don't see a problem with as many as you have showing, would be a little crazy trying to talk to that many people at once.

As the above mentioned, seems weird to have 2 cameras. I think a swivel would be a good idea, maybe add a flash too if you're going to put a good camera on there.

I like the mock-up so far.

Only other thing I don't like is the size of the scroll wheel. Maybe keep the keyboard where it is and remove all the stuff around the wheel and make it bigger.

Those are my only suggestions. If they came out with something like this, I would buy it on the spot. :) Good work.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
as long as we're just pretending, you may as well change the specs a tad:

use flash memory instead of a HD. Toshiba (I think) is on the verge of releasing a miniature 8GB flash memory module. 4 of those should fit nicely in a future iPod. Less power to run them=longer battery life.

use OLED for display instead of LCD. OLED uses less power, has better picture quality, & is much thinner. It's in use now on some handheld devices (a few digital cameras, though I'm unsure which ones) and is on the verge of displacing LCD, once the "broad daylight" issues get worked out.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Good, but the keyboard/scroll wheel/number pad is way overcrowded in my opinion. I would think Apple would simplify things a little more than that. That just looks overly complicated.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
tominated said:

it's the mark of a well-designed OS/software package that something this complex can be done so easily...you have to hand it to Apple/Adobe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.