Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
mariahlullaby
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mariahlullaby
How do I copyright a t-shirt design? And fairly quickly?

How would I go about copyrighting a t-shirt design? I would like it done fairly quickly (not a 4 month wait). is this possible? Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks!
mariahlullaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

It was copyrighted as soon as you created it, coverage is automatic. The registration thing takes time, but it is really only needed in the event you end up in court. In short, you're fine.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:51 PM   #3
mariahlullaby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
It was copyrighted as soon as you created it, coverage is automatic. The registration thing takes time, but it is really only needed in the event you end up in court. In short, you're fine.
What do you mean? I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about how this works, etc.

The reason I ask is because I designed some t-shirts for my Mariah Carey fan club that we all wore to her concert in Atlanta, and Mariah really liked them and was interested in making them to sell as part of her tour merchandise. Her tour ends in October, so I'd have to be fairly fast. But as long as I send the registration in, I'm OK?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:54 PM   #4
gadgetgirl85
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to gadgetgirl85
Wow good luck with that must be cool to get Mariah's approval A bit off topic but I came runner up in a competition to win clothes she wore on tour. What a shame my voice is as low as a ton of bricks. Competition was to imitate Mariah
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:56 PM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Registration is important for recovering damages in court. The copyright, however, is already yours just by the act of creating the design. You are free to license the design or transfer the copyright using an ordinary contract right now, you don't need to wait for registration to go through.

Start here and there are many more circulars and FAQs at the copyright office.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6
mariahlullaby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
Registration is important for recovering damages in court. The copyright, however, is already yours just by the act of creating the design. You are free to license the design or transfer the copyright using an ordinary contract right now, you don't need to wait for registration to go through.

Start here and there are many more circulars and FAQs at the copyright office.
Thank you for the help!! The info was great.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion