Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

First Steps with Leopard

Category: Reviews
Link: First Steps with Leopard
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:59 PM   #2
AvSRoCkCO1067
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to AvSRoCkCO1067
Hopefully, one of the yet-to-be-unveiled features is a redesigned help database. Many users on this site have agreed that Microsoft's help is far superior to that of Apple's - and, with more and more people switching, it might be time for Apple to redesign its help information.

The search bar (found in section 6 of this article) for help is, in my opinion, a welcome addition.
AvSRoCkCO1067 is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

Time Machine looks like it will be useful. I look forward to the security it will bring to my photos. The only other feature I was really excited about was the refined "Find" function in Safari. I hope the Leopard team takes a fine tooth comb through the interface and tunes it a little bit as well.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
macrumors regular

I would be excited about Time Machine if I at all trusted external hard drives for backup anymore.

However, seeing as my most valuable hard drive recently blanked itself and wiped all my FCP projects, footage, archives, and games with it, I'm really nervous about my other drives now as well.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:43 PM   #5
rugonnaeatthat
macrumors regular

In os 7 or 8 (somewhere around then) the help menu would actually go as far as drawing cricles around objects. So for example if it said go to the apple menu, there would be an animated circle linking up the help page text with your normal screen... would be great to revive this.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:26 AM   #6
polyesterlester
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to polyesterlester Send a message via AIM to polyesterlester Send a message via MSN to polyesterlester
Wow. The Help menu in the screenshot was highlighted Purple. What?

polyesterlester is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Sayer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugonnaeatthat
In os 7 or 8 (somewhere around then) the help menu would actually go as far as drawing cricles around objects. So for example if it said go to the apple menu, there would be an animated circle linking up the help page text with your normal screen... would be great to revive this.
That was called AppleGuide and was an enhancement above and beyond the "Help Balloons" now changed to Tool Tips. Not too many apps used it as it was really complex to cobble together (because it was basically wholly separate programming required to create it). Amazing how far BACKWARDS we have now come. Specifically: Today's Help content is merely HTML files; thus any shortcommings are the fault of the creator of the HTML-based content first, and Apple second.

Apple got smacked pretty hard when it was discovered that Apple Help content could execute AppleScripts (granted, in a rather braindead manner) to integrate between the Help book and the covered App. This was an exploit vector for malicious code execution yadda-yadda.

On the rare occasions I have tried to use Microsoft Help it has been anything BUT help. Full-text search should at least find something *near* to the search terms, not everything EXCEPT what I actually typed in. Apple's Help is better, but again is nothing but HTML pages with severely neutered interactivity with the subject App these days. At least Apple Help searches turn up marginally related topics in the help content, unlike Microsoft's UnHelp.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Iroganai
macrumors regular

That was an interesting read, but I'm afraid the author of the page will be sued by Apple for breaking the NDA ...
Iroganai is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

There's nothing about Leopard that I've seen so far that suggests it's indispensable.

It seems to me that jumping alternate OS releases offers far better value for money. e.g. 10.2 to 10.4 or 10.3 to 10.5
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Applespider
macrumors 603

This time round, I'm going to buy a new Mac to get Leopard and I'll leave Tiger on my Powerbook - unless I really decide that I can't live without it after using it on the new Mac.

What am I looking forward to in it? Probably the screen-sharing in iChat which I can see coming in immensely useful when trying to talk trips/purchases through with Mum - I couldn't justify buying Remote Desktop currently. I'm backed up so not so worried about Time Machine. But am looking forward to playing around in Core Animation. And I do have a pile of 'draft' emails where I write notes to myself so that will probably be good too.

Mum is going to love it though. She likes things like stationery in Mail, she might finally back up - again though, she'll likely be getting a new Mac to use it.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:52 PM   #11
andrewm
macrumors regular

I'm absolutely fascinated by the new Help menu. I hope that we get some new goodies with the Help Viewer application.

I also hope that Apple has added a "Show Invisible Items" option to the Finder, like we had in the preview of Panther. Although one can type a command into Terminal.app in Tiger (and below) to display even invisible files and directories, in Tiger it causes *all* icons, not just the formerly-invisible ones, to be displayed at half-opacity, as though they were ghosts. This has happened on multiple machines; indeed, I've never seen it *not* happen. Feel free to PM me if you've found a way to avert this UI disaster.
andrewm is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2006, 07:27 PM   #12
Project
macrumors 68020

why would the web clip button be black in an otherwise metal interface?

I think black will be heavily pushed in Leopard. Also note the black on grey finishing of the Leopard skin on the OSX.5 disc.
Project is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:01 PM   #13
Victoriatus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project
why would the web clip button be black in an otherwise metal interface?
To go with the Dashboard icon?

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:38 PM   #14
ezkimo
macrumors regular

I hope to god they aren't going to start putting the bubble toolbar icons (like in Mail) in more apps at random. Preview looks ugle with em.
ezkimo is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:11 AM   #15
Project
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriatus
To go with the Dashboard icon?

Well obviously iy goes with the Dashboard icon, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. Its very unAppe like
Project is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion