Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
When should I expect to replace my macbook battery. I would say 2/3 the time I use my machine (on almost all the time) it's from the adapter. But when I use the battery for power, I usually use the machine until the battery is more than 50% gone.

Right now my iStat says me battery has "41 Cycles". How many will/should it last? How much should I expect to replace it?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'm using a 15" powerbook that has gone through 288 cycles and is at 92% of its original capacity after 18 months. You can keep an eye on things with coconut battery if you're worried about it. It's a nice little app. I'd say you've got a lot of life in your battery, yet.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Mine's 94% after five. Man, I'm getting ticked. I never had over 5000mAhs on my Macbook, and everyones seems to be higher. YET, I can get nearly four hours before it dies. Something wrong with the sensor?

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
1gHz Ti-Book..

82 percent of the original Capacity.
Original 4200 mAh
Current 3480 mAh

Loadcycles 871 !!
Age of mac 44 months.

Guess I'm doing ok :D

My powerbook is at 70 months and well into its second battery. I guess you are doing ok. Go Titanium!

For the record:
Battery health: 76%
Current: 3220 mAh
Original: 4200 mAh
136 loadcycles

hari-bhari

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
mine is about 5 months old, only 4 cycles (and i use it on battery ALL the time), and i am actually at 5321mAh, more than the original 5200. I think part of it is that almost every time I unplug it, i don't plug it back in until it puts itsself to sleep. and every 2 weeks or so, i disable hibernation with insomniax and let it die completely. make sure that whenever u discharge, let it get as low as you can whenever possible, and when u recharge, charge it up to 100 percent. everytime i do this, the capacity creeps up a bit. I did this with my 5 year old compaq and still am getting 80% life out of the original battery.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 3,888

khunxhor

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
los angeles
As long as you do your monthly calibration you should be fine!

is over-calibration is harmful?

When my battery dies, I plug it in and charge it, use it until the battery dies, and this process goes on forever.....

is this considered "calibrating" my battery? If so, is this bad since I run out of battery every day or two; hence, im calibrating my battery every other day instead of once a month?

Apple says calibrating your battery requires you to leave it without power for 5 hours. Does this mean what I am doing is not harmful to my battery?

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
mine is about 5 months old, only 4 cycles (and i use it on battery ALL the time), and i am actually at 5321mAh, more than the original 5200. I think part of it is that almost every time I unplug it, i don't plug it back in until it puts itsself to sleep. and every 2 weeks or so, i disable hibernation with insomniax and let it die completely. make sure that whenever u discharge, let it get as low as you can whenever possible, and when u recharge, charge it up to 100 percent. everytime i do this, the capacity creeps up a bit. I did this with my 5 year old compaq and still am getting 80% life out of the original battery.

According to the pic you attached, your charger is not connected yet your battery is charging. How is this possible?

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Coconut battery produces incorrect stats in Leopard.

Better to use Battery Health Monitor, or simply go to System Profiler -> Hardware -> Power.

According to Apple, a well-maintained battery should retain 80% capacity at 300 cycles (it's noted in a document on the Apple support site).

A few weeks ago, my battery was reporting 54% capacity at 300 cycles exactly. Went to an Apple store, and got a new one without problem (they used System Profiler). Heck, they didn't take my serial # or other information.

Hope this info helps.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Mine is down to 75% after 148 cycles and 16 months. Should I be asking questions?

You know, mine seems to be steadily declining. iStat says 70% health with 249 cycles after 12 months. 3862mAh.

WTF?

I'm getting a new battery.

EDIT: After reading tip's comment above, I'm more convinced. BTW, iStat's information matches the data from System Profiler; the data from Coconut is wonky, according to it my battery has experienced only 7 load-cycles.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
65 cycles 3 months, 106% health

Original capacity 5020 mAh 100%
Current capacity 5345 mAh 106%

Battery Health Monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.