Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Can someone please explain me what are Cocoa Bindings and Core Data? How can I use them?

I have 2 books for Cocoa programming: Cocoa Programming (Anguish, Buck, Yacktman) and Learning Cocoa with Objective-C. None of them tells anything about CoreData or Cocoabindings.

Can someone provide me with information or any link that might help me? Any book recommendation is also welcome.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Soulstorm said:
I have 2 books for Cocoa programming: Cocoa Programming (Anguish, Buck, Yacktman) and Learning Cocoa with Objective-C. None of them tells anything about CoreData or Cocoabindings.
They won't be in the first book as that's quite old, bindings might be in edition 2 of the second book. Bindings were introduced in 10.3 and Core Data in 10.4.

Basically bindings are a way of removing a lot of the boring code you'd otherwise have to write to get a user interface to work. It's especially useful for things like master-detail views. IMO you can't replace all UI boilerplate code with it but when what you want to do fits with what it expects, it can save a lot of code.

Core Data is a way of handing off data storage to cocoa frameworks. It supports three different storage methods including an SQL lite database. I've not had a chance to use it yet personally but it looks pretty funky.

There are (albeit pretty basic) tutorials for both on CocoaDevCentral

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.