Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Chiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Ya hi my cousin wants a job and hes only well hes like 2 months away from being 14 and he wants a job, he lives in california and i dont know how to get him a job. I dont know cause im 18 and i haew a part time job and colledge but for him i dont know can u guys tell me wat would be jobs he can do that are LEGAL at his age and get paid for , thanks.

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
Dr.Chiz said:
Ya hi my cousin wants a job and hes only well hes like 2 months away from being 14 and he wants a job, he lives in california and i dont know how to get him a job. I dont know cause im 18 and i haew a part time job and colledge but for him i dont know can u guys tell me wat would be jobs he can do that are LEGAL at his age and get paid for , thanks.

Good Luck. There are very few jobs available for 13-15 year olds during the school year, unless they have a paper route, sign flipper, family business, agricultural (including rodeo) or are in the entertainment business. Once a child reaches 14 years of age, they can apply for a work permit through their high school. For more information see this page. When I was a kid, my local school district would not issue a work permit until you were 15 1/2. Quote from website:

minoremply.png

A better link is here. It lists what can and can't be performed until the age of 16 (reason why fast food work is hard to get under 16). FYI - I am interested in this too, as my 14 year old nephew is looking for work. Right now he is one of those sign flippers (makes about 100 a week for a few hours a day, but doesn't like the teasing he is getting from his friends).

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I was doing yard work and lots of other stuff before I was 14. Maybe he can put fliers out for doing odd jobs in his neighborhood... I don't understand why the state feels they have to limit what a young person can do work wise. I think it teaches them responsibility and pride in their work assuming they do a good job...

Nuc

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
Nuc said:
I was doing yard work and lots of other stuff before I was 14. Maybe he can put fliers out for doing odd jobs in his neighborhood... I don't understand why the state feels they have to limit what a young person can do work wise. I think it teaches them responsibility and pride in their work assuming they do a good job...

Nuc

Because prior to the child labor laws, children were exploited and not educated.

Dr.Chiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
dbhays u were very helpful to my little bro , also does everything u said and the links apply to the state of california? btw wat is a sign flipper i dont know wat that is hey guys hlep me out like dbhays

Huma- Direction

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Nationwide
Weekend Work $10hr

Hi,
Saw your blog and wanted to let you know that Alluring Advertising specializes in sign twirlers and human directionals. Starting age for work is 14 1/2. If your in school you do have to have a work permit but check it out. Most work is done on the weekends but you can always visit there myspace at http://www.myspace.com/signtwirler.

Human Directional

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.